OT Poolside Reads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Gossip Girl series is a more "adult" version of The Clique. I loved that series growing up.

The Au Pairs by Melissa de la Cruz (don't be thrown off by how large the book is, it goes fast. And if I remember correctly, it's more like 3 consecutive books bound in to one). It's also the first of a 4 book series.

Lauren Conrad also wrote a small series of books that weren't horrible. I'm totally spacing on the name of them right now.

Any of Chelsea Handler's books

Gossip Girl series is a more "adult" version of The Clique. I loved that series growing up.

The Au Pairs by Melissa de la Cruz (don't be thrown off by how large the book is, it goes fast. And if I remember correctly, it's more like 3 consecutive books bound in to one). It's also the first of a 4 book series.

Lauren Conrad also wrote a small series of books that weren't horrible. I'm totally spacing on the name of them right now.

Any of Chelsea Handler's books

I want to say LA Candy was one of them.

I'm reading Outlander right now after my aunt's suggestion.. has anyone read that? I'm only 11 chapters in but I can't decide what to think of it.

Gossip Girl - read those books over and over again in middle school. Now I re-watch the TV show.

The Century Trilogies by Ken Follet... lots of history if you're into that but LOVED them!

DEFINITELY agree with reading "Is Everyone Handing Out Without Me?" by Mindy Kaling. Currently in the middle of this book. Its very light and funny, perfect for the summer and when your out by the pool and you may be picking it up and down a lot.

DEFINITELY agree with reading "Is Everyone Handing Out Without Me?" by Mindy Kaling. Currently in the middle of this book. Its very light and funny, perfect for the summer and when your out by the pool and you may be picking it up and down a lot.

Have you ever watched her show, The Mindy Project? It's like watching the TV show of the book. She keeps that same "voice" throughout her series and it's great.

Also, she's writing/finishing up her second book and I'm so siked for it to come out. I think she's working with BJ Novak on another book, too.

My love for Mindy is so unreal.

Even though I'm in my 20's, and it is a youth novel per say, I really enjoyed the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children books (<-- this one and Hollow City, 3rd book is being released later this year maybe - Library of Souls). Was a fun and different read! They're currently making a movie of the first book, so may be nice to read before it comes out if it sounds like something you would be interested in!

"Sharp Objects" & "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn were good as well (author of Gone Girl)

I have also enjoyed novels by Jodi Picoult; the ever popular "My Sisters Keeper", as well as "Nineteen Minutes", "Salem Falls", "House Rules", "Perfect Match", "Plain Truth", "Handle With Care", "The Tenth Circle"... I didn't particularly enjoy "Vanishing Acts" or "Songs of the Humpback Whale" though...

& I'm a sucker for classics after taking British Literature - Dracula, Pride & Prejudice, The Pictures of Dorian Gray... fun fact, I own 2 copies each of Dracula and Pride & Prejudice because I read them for class as paperbacks, and then wanted the cool, hard cover, collectors edition of each of them too ... yup, I'm that person:D

Last edited:
Have you ever watched her show, The Mindy Project? It's like watching the TV show of the book. She keeps that same "voice" throughout her series and it's great.

Also, she's writing/finishing up her second book and I'm so siked for it to come out. I think she's working with BJ Novak on another book, too.

My love for Mindy is so unreal.
Yes I love the Mindy Project! I literally read her book in her voice hahaha
And I actually just realized the other day that she's coming out with another book. Sad I have to wait so long for it :( Not sure what I'll move onto after Mindy's book.

Even though I'm in my 20's, and it is a youth novel per say, I really enjoyed the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children books (<-- this one and Hollow City, 3rd book is being released later this year maybe - Library of Souls). Was a fun and different read! They're currently making a movie of the first book, so may be nice to read before it comes out if it sounds like something you would be interested in!

"Sharp Objects" & "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn were good as well (author of Gone Girl)

I have also enjoyed novels by Jodi Picoult; the ever popular "My Sisters Keeper", as well as "Nineteen Minutes", "Salem Falls", "House Rules", "Perfect Match", "Plain Truth", "Handle With Care", "The Tenth Circle"... I didn't particularly enjoy "Vanishing Acts" or "Songs of the Humpback Whale" though...

& I'm a sucker for classics after taking British Literature - Dracula, Pride & Prejudice, The Pictures of Dorian Gray... fun fact, I own 2 copies each of Dracula and Pride & Prejudice because I read them for class as paperbacks, and then wanted the cool, hard cover, collectors edition of each of them too ... yup, I'm that person:D
My favorite book is Nineteen Minutes. It was amazing.

I second this!!! Such an awesome book, as are all of Jodi Picoults!!! I really liked "Change of Heart" as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My favorite is My Sister's Keeper (still so salty about the movie ending) but Handle With Care and the one about the music therapist and a custody battle bc of one parent's sexuality... Blanking on the name but they're up there on my list!
I started listening to one about a kid who was abused and stopped talking, but I never finished it (and I'm blanking on the name right now). It was good but I was listening to it over Christmas break when we were traveling (plane rides and lots of driving = boredom), and I don't really carry headphones with me most of the time or have a lot of free time to just listen to a book which is why I never finished it. I can read way faster so I might pick it up from the library this summer and finish it. What I heard of it was good! I love Jodi Piccoult.

Back