High School Revising Our Cheer Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2013
I want to update my cheer constitution and demerit list. I was wondering if anyone could share a few of their rules. I feel as though some of mine might be outdated. For instance, I don't allow water drinks in between 1st and 2nd quarter or between 3rd and 4th. They must wait until halftime. However I see several schools do. I just don't want to be too old school! Thanks so much.

-No jewelry is to be worn while in uniform or while practicing/performing.

-No negative body talk

-No engaging PDA or illicit behavior (drinking, smoking, etc.) while in uniform/team apparel

We had rules on if you wore the wrong outfit to practice or forgot your bow, usually had to run or do jumps or something like that

I was reading a Stingrays tryout packet online, and they had some parent rules. I believe one of them was that any parent who interrupted practice to challenge the coach would have their child removed.

We have something similar stated in our handbook. Also stated is that negative posts on social media (from parent or child) are grounds for dismissal from the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a line about not loaning out your cheer items (jackets, hoodies, poms) If it has the program name on it... It represents the program and while the squads are under contract those outside of the squads are not. If they are wearing squad apparel many assume those individuals are squad members.

We also have a line in ours on communication of OUTSIDE injury. Sometimes kids get injured/Ill outside of cheer and to ensure the safest conditions for all participants it's essential the program is aware of anything that might jeopardize the ability of an athlete to safetly perform to the fullest of their ability. (Ie: someone hit their head on the diving board at a pool party over the weekend... And had a dizzy spell... Or someone sprained their wrist Doing cartwheels at a friends sleepover) ... We ask that medical clearance be provided in the event it is deemed necessary and that those injuries get reported before any next physical cheer activity takes place. (You'd be surprised how many kids get hurt outside of cheer... And just DONT mention it... We remind them not only could they be compromising their safety but the safety of others)

I want to update my cheer constitution and demerit list. I was wondering if anyone could share a few of their rules. I feel as though some of mine might be outdated. For instance, I don't allow water drinks in between 1st and 2nd quarter or between 3rd and 4th. They must wait until halftime. However I see several schools do. I just don't want to be too old school! Thanks so much.
I would revise that water policy. I don't know where you are, but it gets hot here. That means sweating and that can lead to dehydration.

Our team does a cheer and then can get drinks. I would request that they only drink water (or a sports drink if it is really warm).

If they lose or destroy uniform they have to pay for replacement

If late to practice you must have a doctors not or note from teacher or you will have extra laps

Practices are closed unless otherwise specified by the coach. Friends or family are not allowed at practice due to distraction.

No jewelry is to be worn at practice or at games. No piercings are allowed during this season.

Cell phones turned off at practice, if parent needs child they can call my phone or the school to reach us

Must maintain academic standards set by the school

Swearing, disrespect, obscene gestures/public photos, or displaying other behavior that would reflect poorly on the rest of the program or student body will not be allowed. Continuous poor attitude will not be tolerated and will be grounds for dismissal.

Also, check with your school/district rules and polices. My rules have to be backed by that. I have an extremely extensive set of rules, but there are a few that the school/district has to back w/ their extra curricular code of conduct... If you say they are off the team if they do X but school isn't backing you, your new guidelines will never stick.

Have them keep a water bottle or Gatorade in front or behind them on the sidelines. I encourage hydration.

I have the cheerleaders and their parents sign the handbook before they attend the first practice. I allow them to drink only water/or power/Gatorade during game time. I would really emphasize good grades, at our school if you get an F during the trimester they are ineligible for the next trimester which could really hurt your team so being a good student and staying on top of homework is a must!

Back