All-Star The Fix For International!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We get it. You don't like it when a team that placed 18th the first day can claim being 5th in the World. We understand that. We even feel badly. But your proposal segregates us - it doesn't have us compete against the US in any meaningful way. Its essentially two divisions - the US and the ROW. I for one, want to compete against the US.
JMO

I think we would all love to compete against the rest of the world as well, but weren't the International divisions created to accomodate the teams from outside the US because it's too difficult to make a complete team using the guidelines already in place? Maybe it's not that there's not enough effort to include everyone, maybe it's too much effort to include everyone when in reality we are all doing things very differently.

Spoken like an American. What you fail to recognize is that the rest of the world goes to this competition to represent their country first and foremost. While the ICU competition is an amazing opportunity for 24-48 athletes once per year per country its not the same kind of showcase. Its not the team you work with year in and year out at least not in Canada, where we (like the US) have a "national team".

JMO

But you are the one that said Canada has 1000's of hockey teams but can only send one to the Olympics. Same as the ICU. Like I said before maybe the US should stop sending so many International teams to Worlds.

This is what is says on the website of the bid-giving company:
European Challenge to "The Worlds 2011"

The European Challenge to “The Worlds 2011” is the qualification process at the VII. ELITE Cheerleading Championship 2010 for the IASF Cheer and Dance Worlds 2011 in Orlando exclusive for european teams (*) in the Junior and Senior Allgirl Cheer, Junior and Senior Coed Cheer and Junior and Senior Dance Division.

After the results of the VII. ELITE Cheerleading Championship are clear, all european teams are grouped by country. The team with the highest score in its country in the above divisions qualifies for “The Worlds 2011” in Orlando.

The european team with the highest score of all countries in ALL above divisions wins a “partially payed bits” package for 6 personen per team of an overall value of up to 3.000 EUR per team. The package contains a 5 nights hotel accomodation at the All Star Sports Resort (Walt Disney Resort), entry to the Walt Disney World Resort, transport in Orlando and the championship fees.
http://www.elite-cheerleading.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=78

Whenever you compare other countries to the US in cheerleading it is generally thought of if they are emerging in this sport as being competitive. Therefore I present there are two categories at Worlds in the International Division. There are World Champions and Emerging Champions. Any country that has at less than 25 teams participating in Worlds would be considered an Emerging Country in cheerleading. This term shows respect to the efforts of countries trying to build their cheerleading tradition, but allows us to classify them correctly for our next piece.

In each International division there would be two types of awards given. There will always be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Worlds globe given to the top 3 scores in each division. The next Globes given would be for the Emerging World Champions. For each of the top 3 places (1st, 2nd, and 3rd World Champions) that is not awarded to an Emerging Countries team there will be an Emerging World Champion award given out. If none of the top spots are given out to Emerging countries, then 3 Emerging Champion trophies are given out. If 2 Emerging countries take two of the top three spots then only one emerging champion trophy will be given out.

(explanation of benefits next... feel free to copy, edit, and paste in this thread)

this paragraph was a little over the place... took me couple time to read through it

Spoken like an American. What you fail to recognize is that the rest of the world goes to this competition to represent their country first and foremost. While the ICU competition is an amazing opportunity for 24-48 athletes once per year per country its not the same kind of showcase. Its not the team you work with year in and year out at least not in Canada, where we (like the US) have a "national team".

JMO

Ugh, not the rest of the world, my team is attending the 2011 worlds from australia and we are there as Starlets!, not team Australia.... there are 4 other teams from australia there too, they might jump on the team aus bandwagon but we are there for us... not our country.... Thats ICU, were in IOC5

Large country would prob just be US, possibly canada dont really know how many teams they enter. but i think thats kinda the point to have US competing together really in large country and the rest of the world compete against each other. but at the same time large and small country competing against each other.

I defo like this idea :) Well done King!!
im im understanding this correctly, u need 25 teams competing at worlds to be a large country? (sorry if im repeating stuff i didnt read through the entire thread) canada for suuure does not have 25 teams at worlds!

In each International division there would be two types of awards given. There will always be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Worlds globe given to the top 3 scores in each division. The next Globes given would be for the Emerging World Champions. For each of the top 3 places (1st, 2nd, and 3rd World Champions) that is not awarded to an Emerging Countries team there will be an Emerging World Champion award given out. If none of the top spots are given out to Emerging countries, then 3 Emerging Champion trophies are given out. If 2 Emerging countries take two of the top three spots then only one emerging champion trophy will be given out.

The International divisions would award two sets of trophys. The current 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Worlds Globes would still stay in place regardless of what country the club is from and would represent the top 3 scores of the entire division. A second set of trophies would be awarded to nations who have less than 25 team in attendance to the IASF Cheerleading Worlds. The clubs who score the highest 3 scores and have less than 25 teams from their respective country in attendance (not worded very well) would receive an "Emerging Champion" Globe in recognition of their hard work from a developing cheer nation. Should a small nation place in the top 3 overall scores, they are voided from the "emerging champion" globes

Just my futile attempt... maybe you can pull some stuff from that? hope it helps

side note, does the 25 team limit include cheer AND dance?

im im understanding this correctly, u need 25 teams competing at worlds to be a large country? (sorry if im repeating stuff i didnt read through the entire thread) canada for suuure does not have 25 teams at worlds!
no other country has 25 teams... and no one will for quite some time, other countries just don't have the cheer infrastructure the USA has ie. pop warner, elementary school, middle school, high school cheer, sports to cheer for, money to finance the traveling, population size... MANY things holding back other countries

Our age divisions are usually​
Peewee: up until the age of 11/12​
Juniors: 11/12 until about 16​
Senior: about 16+​
So if you qualify in our Junior division you would be at the Senior division in the US but clearly in a disadvantage because those 17 and 18 year olds are missing in your team.​
Seniors here are usually aged out in the US and have to compete either level 5 international or level 6 open.​
I never thought about sending a junior team to compete in the club divisions... Kind of smart.

All I can say is I do know that basically every other country has a different cheer 'season' than we do and their ages are different. I kind of wonder if someone else has an age grid that they find 'better' than ours..

ETA: I'm not saying our age grid is the 'best', I'm just curious if someone else's works 'better' than ours..

All I can say is I do know that basically every other country has a different cheer 'season' than we do and their ages are different. I kind of wonder if someone else has an age grid that they find 'better' than ours..

ETA: I'm not saying our age grid is the 'best', I'm just curious if someone else's works 'better' than ours..
Australia applies the same age guidelines.. BUT we allow "international" as you would say across all levels... its called Open here, so we can compete a level 1 open... 14 yrs and up... this allows us to pull more people into the developing sport here

Sorry i didnt have a clue how many teams Canada enter. I just assumed that if out of any other country apart from US they would prob be the next country to have the most teams competing at worlds. I just see Canada as a country just a little bit behind the US in cheer participation, whereas the rest of the world is wayyyy behind. So thats why i suggested that Canada may have teams for a large country. Obviously they dont then lol

Could this team have placed better than any US team in small senior at Worlds 2010? Or at least have a chance not to come in last place. If you guess... (I haven't seen all the small senior teams.)
Because they have a bid for Worlds 2011, but I think it is for intl junior. But obviously they can't compete in that and also the team doesn't exist anymore. But if they did... And if the bid would allow them to swith divison (don't know if that's possible).

The issue is that the international division fills two needs: Allowing 18+ athletes to compete AND having an age grid that works for international teams. There is no other division for open teams to compete at at Worlds. IF the divisions is going to exists to fill both these needs, it needs to be more inclusive than exclusive. I would be MORE than happy to allow only international teams compete in this division (and have no US teams) and have a separate 18+ division for open athletes. Every time I suggest this I hear people complain they WANT to compete against the US. (because, lets be honest, the US is apathetic to whether they compete against another country or not, we only want to compete against the best no matter the country). The solution of 6 globes (3 Worlds and 3 Emerging) makes the most sense.

Back