OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Is she going to ECU!?!?

So at East Carolina we have 10 sororities. Each chapter has a house, but we don't have a greek row. They are spread around the perimeter of campus and they were all original homes - hence the scattered placement. They have a lot of history in them which is something that each organization is very proud of.

Greeks typically participate in the same few key events, Homecoming, Relay for Life, Greek Week, etc. Chapter sizes are currently around 180 sisters each, but that number will rise after formal recruitment in August.

Last year we had 831 girls go through recruitment and that number is expected to rise again this year. ECU's greek life only measures up to about 10% of the student body, but we are very well recognized on campus. This is biased towards my own chapter but I'll attach some videos and links that'll give you a glimpse at ecu greek life!

(even if you're not going through recruitment or you already have I think these videos are pretty cool to watch)
1960's ECU Panhellenic Video - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
1970's ECU Panhellenic Video - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
1990's ECU Panhellenic - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
ECU Panhellenic 1980's - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
2000's ECU Panhellenic - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook

Also ETA tumblr pages:
alphaphiecu.tumblr.com
aoiiecu.tumblr.com
axidecu.tumblr.com
deltazetaecu.tumblr.com
ecuzta.tumblr.com
chiomegaecu.tumblr.com
trisigmaecu.tumblr.com
ecuadpi.tumblr.com
phimuecu.tumblr.com
kdecu.tumblr.com

I'd love to answer more questions so keep them coming!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! this is the kind of stuff I was looking for, seriously thank you, it would have taken me so much longer to compile something like this.

I do have a question though, I went to App State and while I was in school the university added two more sororities on our campus (and one the year before I transferred here)...so what is panhellenic's stance right now and the next four years on adding more organizations? For example I am a phi mu alumnae and I know they recently were added to campus, are any more groups colonizing?

ETA: are recommendations a thing at ECU? Also my sister got info about GreekIV @ ECU, do you know anything about it?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! this is the kind of stuff I was looking for, seriously thank you, it would have taken me so much longer to compile something like this.

I do have a question though, I went to App State and while I was in school the university added two more sororities on our campus (and one the year before I transferred here)...so what is panhellenic's stance right now and the next four years on adding more organizations? For example I am a phi mu alumnae and I know they recently were added to campus, are any more groups colonizing?

ETA: are recommendations a thing at ECU? Also my sister got info about GreekIV @ ECU, do you know anything about it?
Phi Mu just colonized in 2013, and the rumor is that we'll have 2 more sororities on campus within the next 5 years. I don't know if it's completely accurate or not, but that's what I've heard.

I had a couple of recommendations when I went through but they really didn't do much for me. Funny enough, I actually got cut from those two houses after the first day. We typically don't pay much attention to them unless you're a legacy. Nice to have, but not required.

I personally don't know anything about IV beyond that I've seen them on campus a few times.

Phi Mu just colonized in 2013, and the rumor is that we'll have 2 more sororities on campus within the next 5 years. I don't know if it's completely accurate or not, but that's what I've heard.

I had a couple of recommendations when I went through but they really didn't do much for me. Funny enough, I actually got cut from those two houses after the first day. We typically don't pay much attention to them unless you're a legacy. Nice to have, but not required.

I personally don't know anything about IV beyond that I've seen them on campus a few times.

awesome thank you again so much...
also unrelated to joining a sorority but is there anything specifically about being a college student that you think is 100% needed in the dorm/on campus your first year? anything else need to know?

ETA: just watched the two aphla phi videos you posted, to cute!

awesome thank you again so much...
also unrelated to joining a sorority but is there anything specifically about being a college student that you think is 100% needed in the dorm/on campus your first year? anything else need to know?

ETA: just watched the two aphla phi videos you posted, to cute!
for ecu specifically? or just in general?

Question about going inactive! I can't afford Theta this semester and am going to be paying for school all on my own. I will also be at a local state college getting my act together after failing 3 classes (and then failing them again hence why I'm changing my major). I got two emails from headquarters about my status 1) voluntary resignation 2) off campus. I understand the second one but does the first just fancily say "inactive"?

Question about going inactive! I can't afford Theta this semester and am going to be paying for school all on my own. I will also be at a local state college getting my act together after failing 3 classes (and then failing them again hence why I'm changing my major). I got two emails from headquarters about my status 1) voluntary resignation 2) off campus. I understand the second one but does the first just fancily say "inactive"?
It sounds like the first option is leaving the organization entirely. (ie not returning once you're back on campus) When girls left our chapter for good they "resigned". I would look into the second option if you want to return. (But definitely have them explain the difference.)

Keep in mind you usually have to pay a little bit during your inactive period just to stay affiliated. Usually our girls on "special status" (our name for girls off campus, abroad, super super busy for a semester, etc) payed HQ dues only. Generally like $80 or so, but I'm sure it depends.

This is just based off my experience in KD
The first option sounds like you are leaving Theta. People can resign or they can be forced to resign (in KD it's usually for not paying for a certain amount of time or academics). So the first option essentially says you would no longer be a part of the sorority.
The second one is more like being inactive. I'm not sure how theta works but when girls transfer or have to take a semester off and leave school for whatever reason they are able to go alumni status early. I would guess this is something similar since you won't be registered to the university or a university where theta has a chapter.

@cheeeeer93 @cheerKT thanks! Our inactivity/payment plan meeting isn't till late August so I have time to figure out what all I need to give them and what questions I have. I'd rather go the "off campus" option as I will be at a local state college that doesn't have Greek life.

3 days until recruitment starts for my daughter - good luck to everyone on both sides :)
Former-cp submitted her recruitment papers? packet? application? last week. Pledging definitely not as intense of a process in the northeast as it is in the south, but it's more at her school that at the one I graduated from where you didn't need to submit anything in advance. I just hope she's able to handle it all what with adjusting to a new school and all her classes. I never pledged so this is all foreign to me.

My schools recruitment isnt for over a month... Thats recruitment in the midwest for you.

Back