OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My sorority and school have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to hazing. You get caught hazing and your charter is pulled.
Oh same here. They just find a way to not get caught. Several got in trouble/suspended during my 4 years for it.

Oh same here. They just find a way to not get caught. Several got in trouble/suspended during my 4 years for it.

The most well-known frat with the highest GPA just got kicked off campus at my school because some kid went and cried hazing. And I know it happens here (not to the point where people are dying from it, but it still is probably no fun), but his story was that all the pledges were locked in the basement of the house with an alligator. We all just think its funny because our school may be Miami but we're in the corn fields in southern Ohio, not Florida. Like where would they get an alligator?

From what I was told, they will still have "steps" after they are initiated as a sort of junior brother type phase? Where they'll still be technically brothers but won't have full privileges as older members. I still think they'll get hazed...
I think anyone who goes to SAE with the intent of doing it just because they know they won't be pledges/get hazed is a bit pathetic though.

ALSO to add to that...
My boyfriends roommates never wanted to join a fraternity because it was 'too expensive'
Until last month we had a new chapter come to recolonize on campus and they joined... their reasoning?
They only did it because they won't be hazed.

ARE YOU KIDDING.
You're a second semester junior in college and NOW you join a fraternity?
For a horrible reason?
All they do is complain about the other guys - if you don't have a common interest with them, why did you join?

Doesn't make sense to me.

ALSO to add to that...
My boyfriends roommates never wanted to join a fraternity because it was 'too expensive'
Until last month we had a new chapter come to recolonize on campus and they joined... their reasoning?
They only did it because they won't be hazed.

ARE YOU KIDDING.
You're a second semester junior in college and NOW you join a fraternity?
For a horrible reason?
All they do is complain about the other guys - if you don't have a common interest with them, why did you join?

Doesn't make sense to me.
When I was in college a million years ago, practically all the boys in my first dorm made their own fraternity rather than pledging for that very reason. Before that, they all openly and frequently spoke about their hatred for the Greek system because it excluded people (i.e., they were too scared to pledge). They were the same bunch of losers after they went Greek - the only difference was their keg parties in the dorm were suddenly "invite only" and they were able to set up mixers with sororities.

Listening to girls who are seniors going "I don't know what I want to rush"
so I'm like "good. You shouldn't. You go to all of them"
And they all jump at me like "no you know beforehand which ones are your top ones and like you'll be sad if they don't want you."
Okay so you're trying to be sad? Okay...
AND THEN "Like if I look at their pictures and they're all brunette I know I'm not going to fit in there because I'm blonde."
:banghead: apparently because I'm a junior I don't know what I'm talking about.
*sigh* I needed a rant. This was the most relevant thread.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

(Sorry everyone we are temporarily hijacking this thread...)

If you really can't pay and you can provide documentation to prove it, they will waive the fee or let you pay it in installments. If you just refuse to pay it, they will still let your child attend school. However they will not give out any report cards or release transcripts to any colleges or jobs until you settle up. It's absolute garbage, but most of us pay it rather than fight it, because refusing to pay it only hurts the schools, and they are already broke. They people making us pay the fee (school board, city of Chicago) couldn't care less if we actually pay it because it doesn't go to them. And they cut the budgets so much that the schools desperately need it.

I home schooled my older daughter because the schools in Chicago are the worst I've ever seen. They're a joke in every aspect. My younger daughter is fortunate enough to have been accepted into a gifted school and it is run very differently from the rest of the city schools. Financially it is also a disaster, but at least in her case we're getting something back out of it (a good education). Her selection of high schools to choose from will also be drastically different from what 99% of kids in Chicago have to choose from.

I really don't know how the powers-that-be here sleep at night. :(

My mom worked for a Psychology office in Chicago for awhile. She's a forensic psychologist and one of her good friends owns an office downtown. After my mom decided us flying or driving up there every other weekend for almost 2 years she decided we were going to move there. Schools in Tennessee aren't bad- my elementary school was old but renovated, my middle school was recently renovated and my high school was built in 2008. When we lived in Chicago we moved into a condo on East Ontario- my mom enrolled me and my brothers in a private school.. I don't remember which one because I was in 4th grade... but she pulled all 3 of us out and home schooled us after the third day because we were paying so much money for less than what we got in Tennessee for free! We only lived there about a month and a half and moved back here.

Back