All-Star Want To Be On A Cheer Reality Show?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You people are absolutely PATHETIC!! You guys always complain that you want more cheer in the media! Three hours on ESPN and a whole channel dedicated to cheer! Then, when someone says " hey I'm making a tv show for allstar cheerleading " , you attack them NONSTOP! You guys all have NO CLUE on how it is going to be run, and you are assuming everything. All you guys do is WHINE WHINE WHINE!!! you people are the reason allstar cheerleaders have a bad name! You all prove the stereotypes to be right!
Don't make me not like you again with the overuse of heavy capslock, bad grammar, and IMO a misuse of certain words (you say complain, where I would use 'express interest in' etc). That purple troll can only handle so much :rolleyes: <-As can this purple face.

Have we 'expressed interest' in having more cheer programming and a 'cheer' channel? Of course. But we want it on our terms. We're eager, but we're cautious. We want to guarantee a fair, reasonable, realistic portrayal of cheer, and when you see the words 'Casting' and 'Reality' together, there's a current of nerves because then it doesn't become about 'US', it becomes about what 'SELLS'. And you CAN say all you want, but ENTERTAINMENT IS A BUSINESS. You can promise me the sky is blue, but when it comes down to it you can NOT guarantee anything in that industry. We have quite a few adults on here who will be the FIRST to look passed the words 'cheer show' and 'casting' and notice a lack of specific information: the whos, wheres, whens, whys etc. as well as spot the 'big bold personalities' and 'cockiness and arrogance' and IMMEDIATELY become skeptical. Not only is the first bit part of some of their jobs as parents, both parts are part of their jobs as business owners/workers. It's like trying to hire someone for an important position and not having a resume to check references. The internet makes it very easy to fake anything. They very thing you're attacking us for being cautious about is the reason you're allowed to be anonymous on here (and not be held accountable for SOME of the things you say).

I'm also 'in' the business (show business-ugh, I hate saying it like that :confused:). A lot of the things he posted in that initial 'casting' swipe are things I typically AVOID in casting notices (granted, I avoid all the reality casting calls: Biggest Loser, RHOwherever, Cash Cab,etc). In school, we were ALWAYS told to be cautious for scams, and the importance of doing your homework and checking people's info/locations. Anything shrouded in secrecy in this sort of nature was HIGHLY warned against. I get they don't want a thousand people, but they might not get NEARLY the turnout they're hoping for with the amount of secrecy presented. I understand that some things might be under contract, but if I were a parent I'd be thinking more than twice about sending my kid along for this because it raises more than 10 of my red flags. I've seen people get scammed in this industry and it's NOT pretty.

SO, how do I wrap this? You, @thesquadshow might be doing something to benefit us. That's excellent. Prove it in your work, not in your words. We may be blunt, but we've been burned by enough shows portraying cheer in a different light than we were hoping for not to get our hopes up. We're a skeptical bunch. Reality shows about cheer (particularly recent ones) tend to amp up the drama and play down the skills. You have a LOT of business owners/smart cheer people/parents on here who are cautious, protective, and more than ready to drop you if you try to swing something. All we want is as much of the truth as you're able to give, and as much transparency as you're able to show. And next time, maybe word the notice better ;)

You hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't be skeptical AT ALL if the original post had said "We're doing a reality cheer show, here's a link to the official casting call page with all the info" (like what was done for the Bring it On play, and for the Bring it On movies). Just posting the info and saying "PM me for info" is shady (in my opinion, as a professional and as a mom). You mentioned "seeing their credentials"....um, it's the internet....without a real name attached to anything, those "credentials" mean nothing to me. Anyone can type that they were on the UK team 20 years ago and won Nationals (without a name, there's no way to verify that....and even with a name, they could be using it falsely). It's the internet, and people have to BE CAREFUL. I'm not saying that this person is a fake, or is trying to scam anyone....but, many of the posters on this board are teenagers-so don't give out personal info (real name, address, phone number, social security number) and don't show up at a "tryout" without a parent present.

shimmy, shimmy, shimmy!

absolutely agree with @missbee! as mom's we want you all to be careful!!! <3

i do have friends in television and when a new show is starting it it often starts out similiar to the way @thesquadshow is doing it. it seems like is is in the VERY early stages and yes it is very secretive in the beginning because contracts haven't been signed or the show is still developing, etc. i agree with the way the first post was worded it almost made it seem like they wanted personalities to clash like on Real World or something like that. but we all need to relax and see how everything develops. once the show airs, which could talk a long time, if you still don't like it then don't watch it.

If I fit the criteria, I would definitely check it out. Why not? You can always say no. If you pull up to the place for your tryout and the place looks shady, leave. Take a friend with you. I'll definitely watch and I don't care what most of you say, you will too.

It's interesting the flack Jersey Cheer got on here when it aired but everyone wants it back.

I would like to see a show that follows teams from the same division. Like a "Road to Worlds" in Large Senior. That would be VERY interesting.

You hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't be skeptical AT ALL if the original post had said "We're doing a reality cheer show, here's a link to the official casting call page with all the info" (like what was done for the Bring it On play, and for the Bring it On movies). Just posting the info and saying "PM me for info" is shady (in my opinion, as a professional and as a mom). You mentioned "seeing their credentials"....um, it's the internet....without a real name attached to anything, those "credentials" mean nothing to me. Anyone can type that they were on the UK team 20 years ago and won Nationals (without a name, there's no way to verify that....and even with a name, they could be using it falsely). It's the internet, and people have to BE CAREFUL. I'm not saying that this person is a fake, or is trying to scam anyone....but, many of the posters on this board are teenagers-so don't give out personal info (real name, address, phone number, social security number) and don't show up at a "tryout" without a parent present.

love! definitely a good warning. whoever considers trying out please be careful. & no i know exactly what you mean i just meant because someone else seemed to know exactly who he was but i definitely get it it's the internet!:)

THIS I would watch. I want cameras to follow Sr Elite, F5 and Shooting Stars from May to April.
isn't this kinda what the whole senior elite & cnn thing was?

If I fit the criteria, I would definitely check it out. Why not? You can always say no. If you pull up to the place for your tryout and the place looks shady, leave. Take a friend with you. I'll definitely watch and I don't care what most of you say, you will too.

It's interesting the flack Jersey Cheer got on here when it aired but everyone wants it back.

I would like to see a show that follows teams from the same division. Like a "Road to Worlds" in Large Senior. That would be VERY interesting.
I think we'll all watch initially, but whether or not we'll CONTINUE to watch will depend on the direction it seems to go. With Jersey Cheer, I think a lot of people assumed Patty Ann was being 'emphasized' for the drama, as opposed to if her personality is REALLY that big to begin with..

PLEASE take a friend with you WHENEVER you go for something like this. This person may be reputable, the next one might not. I ALWAYS tell my parents/friends the exact location of my auditions for worst-case-scenario. It's too easy to get scammed/hurt in this business, and I'd rather be safe than dead.

I've known Mike aka @thesquadshow for about 15 years. I can verify he is a former Kentucky Cheerleader, won UCA College Nationals, worked UCA Staff, and has judged for several years as he stated. He's been working on this show for a while. He first mentioned it to me at least 3 years ago, maybe 4. It's taken that long to get everything in order. I know Mike well enough to say with certainty that he is not trying to put a show together that will put cheerleading in a bad light.

Two nights ago he sent me a message saying it finally looked like the show was going to happen and an TV executive wanted to go to Lexington in 2 weeks to start casting. I think in his excitement he got on here and chose some words poorly, but please don't judge him or the show too harshly because of that.

Given that he just got the go ahead a couple days ago a lot of the details haven't been finalized, meaning contracts haven't been signed. It wouldn't be smart on Mike's part to say who the coaches are before contracts are signed because things could still change, but if it's the group last mentioned to me they have been on the Worlds podium. Imagine the loss of credibility and criticism he would face if he gave a name now and it had to change. Saying something about the casting was necessary given it's only 2 weeks away.

I've known Mike aka @thesquadshow for about 15 years. I can verify he is a former Kentucky Cheerleader, won UCA College Nationals, worked UCA Staff, and has judged for several years as he stated. He's been working on this show for a while. He first mentioned it to me at least 3 years ago, maybe 4. It's taken that long to get everything in order. I know Mike well enough to say with certainty that he is not trying to put a show together that will put cheerleading in a bad light.

Two nights ago he sent me a message saying it finally looked like the show was going to happen and an TV executive wanted to go to Lexington in 2 weeks to start casting. I think in his excitement he got on here and chose some words poorly, but please don't judge him or the show too harshly because of that.

Given that he just got the go ahead a couple days ago a lot of the details haven't been finalized, meaning contracts haven't been signed. It wouldn't be smart on Mike's part to say who the coaches are before contracts are signed because things could still change, but if it's the group last mentioned to me they have been on the Worlds podium. Imagine the loss of credibility and criticism he would face if he gave a name now and it had to change. Saying something about the casting was necessary given it's only 2 weeks away.

Thank you!

Thanks, Andre! This site can be brutal! LOL. I really should have worded my original post better...just crazy busy...barely time to eat right now. Just trying to get everything in order.

.... Just follow GT Black, or Pink... I'd watch every episode from start to finish and not move an inch while it was on :)

I know people have said this before and I know I might upset some people by saying this, not that I want or mean to, but why don't you just give it a chance? I understand everyone has their own opinions and their rights to express them (like I am right now) and I know that's what the boards are for but I think it's kind of a cool idea, let's just see what happens! Hopefully this show is more like Jersey Cheer or Cheerleader Nation and NOT like Hellcats, I think we can all agree on that!

I know people have said this before and I know I might upset some people by saying this, not that I want or mean to, but why don't you just give it a chance? I understand everyone has their own opinions and their rights to express them (like I am right now) and I know that's what the boards are for but I think it's kind of a cool idea, let's just see what happens! Hopefully this show is more like Jersey Cheer or Cheerleader Nation and NOT like Hellcats, I think we can all agree on that!

Thank you!:)

.... Just follow GT Black, or Pink... I'd watch every episode from start to finish and not move an inch while it was on :)
Something tells me this may be the team they are talking about considering it's in Louisville... but one can only hope :)

im actually REALLY excited for this.
And about the whole "portraying drama" part- lets face it guys, our sport is FULL of drama. It would only be natural for it to be highlighted on TV, as long as it's not in an abundance. (which im sure it wont be. im sure there will be a balance). I think this guy really does want to showcase the positive light of allstar cheer.'
Anyways, I would rather watch a fierce, yet cocky allstar cheerleader on TV than a wallflower who doesn't speak and has no personality! I wouldnt get half as into it

Back