Who Is Tired Of Flyers Getting All The Credit For Amazing Stunts?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm a flyer, and I always thank my bases. Always. No Exception. Because I've been a flyer since forever and If my bases suck, theres no way I'm going up. Yes Flyers do play a big role, but bases totally control how the flyer does. And what about front spots? I'd be no where without her. If your front spot really pulls up and locks around the ankle, bam, you just hit it.
However I do have to agree that Flyers do get blamed for almost every thing. I had a base that was totally twisting my foot and there was no way for me to hit it because she was rolling my ankle, so I got taken out of the pyramid.
Any way I love my new bases and I could probably marry my backspot or frontspot...Just saying <3

It is a TEAM effort! When you have great bases & a great flyer it is magic! :)

There's no stunt with out bases and backs, but there also no stunt with out a flyer. So i think it can go both ways, but i think everyone should get credit because with out one person its not a group ( :

Agreed bases should get more credit. But I think flyers have a lot more skills to learn, i.e for a base, all baskets are the same, whereas for the flyer a kick double is a lot harder than a toe touch! Same with cradles and stretches at lib

So while watching cheer extreme in Indy I was amazed by their ball up 360 tick tock stunt (as usual), but my girls and i were thinking: why do flyers get all the credit for such amazing stunts? Everyone wanted to get a picture with Maddie. She does a great job with her stunts, but theres no flyer without a base! We wanted to figure out who her bases were so we could get pictures with them. Flyers are the pretty face of stunts but theyre not the only member of the group! What does everyone else think?

i think that flyers work really hard but they do get alot of credit, the bases and backs work just as hard to keep the stunt up.

If someone goes up to your fly and basically worships them they are also complementing you as bases or backspots.. The people who are all about your flyer only knows them because they are the face of you stunt group. People cant see the girls faces who are doing the work but when the flyers are complemented then everyone underneath should take it as a complement too :)

first post ! how about when the "other" base (side, secondary) is called "assist" ? I dont know about you all but when i was a side base, I worked my butt off and was right under there holding the whole stunt up. I didnt appreciate being called an assist.

I am a base & a new flyer so I defietly understand both sides. Whenever i base i fight for my life to keep the stunt in the air!! But as a flyer you do have to strech alot and pull hard thins in the air . But i mostly do agree that the base sent given the recognition they should be!!! But amen to the person who made this thread!! Great topic to discuss!!

It irritates me (especially when at a football game listening to people in the crowd) when a stunt falls and someone who doesn't know anything about cheerleading goes "Oh my goodness those girls just dropped susie!" When in reality, Susie didn't lock her knee and wasn't tight. Flyers get recognized when the stunt hits well, but if it falls it's the bases and backspot that get blamed for it not hitting.

I think if you're good enough, you will get the recognition from your team and coaches. I was ALWAYS given the new flyer or the one who struggled with stuff, because my coaches knew I would keep her in the air at all costs. I may not have been the star of all the pictures, but it made me feel amazing that the flyers would literally beg the coaches to let me to be their back. Any time a stunt wasn't working, it was like "oh, can you try it and see if it works?"... I was like a freak of nature/show&tell lol... everyone wanted to try new skills with me, show their friends or parents what we could do, etc.

When you really put everything you have into fighting for your stunts and getting your flyer down safely, they trust you enough that you're THEIR rockstar. I never really cared if other people noticed.... I was well-appreciated by my flyers, teammates, coaches, and even other parents.... the only people who matter:)

Moral of the story: You ARE recognized if you're doing your job, just not in the way of being mobbed by obsessive cheer paparazzi.

Very well said!

Back