All-Star Worlds And Summit Travel

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Summit Bid- our gym mandates we purchase our flights through the gym. All athletes are required to be on the same flight. They are all required to stay at same hotel, at least during comp days. So we have a block and are all staying there. Registration and all that paid through the gym. It's ran pretty tight. The parents are not required to take same flights and can find cheaper. But I rather fly with my kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it's all through the gym do they get a pretty decent discount due to the number of people?

Since it's all through the gym do they get a pretty decent discount due to the number of people?
The condo for summit is very reasonable. No complaints for that. Flights are pricey if you did not purchase the first set available. Our coaches also do this in case of injury or if someone quits. When they can pretty much buy out the entire plane in her name, she can change names on the tickets. Guaranteeing everyone is at the venue on schedule. What I'm paying for one ticket through the gym is what I'm paying for 3 round trip on my own for my husband and kids.

For Worlds we have an AL Bid. All athletes are required to stay on site on the package. They can travel anyway they want but have set travel dates. Parents can stay anywhere. Most stay with us.

For summit we have Paid, AL and WC Bids. All athletes are required to stay on site on the package. Parents can stay anywhere they want but if children are under the age of 12 they have to provide a chaperone. They can travel how they want but have set travel dates.

Teams are responsible for coaches fees to include travel and room.

The condo for summit is very reasonable. No complaints for that. Flights are pricey if you did not purchase the first set available. Our coaches also do this in case of injury or if someone quits. When they can pretty much buy out the entire plane in her name, she can change names on the tickets. Guaranteeing everyone is at the venue on schedule. What I'm paying for one ticket through the gym is what I'm paying for 3 round trip on my own for my husband and kids.

For 3 times the price of buying on your own? Heck no is that even remotely okay for the gym to ask for.

Are alternates required to purchase the same tickets?

ETA: Can I ask how much the tickets actually are? If you prefer not to say that's fine

**Silly owner, that's NOT how the big gyms really do it**

For Worlds we have an AL Bid. All athletes are required to stay on site on the package. They can travel anyway they want but have set travel dates. Parents can stay anywhere. Most stay with us.

For summit we have Paid, AL and WC Bids. All athletes are required to stay on site on the package. Parents can stay anywhere they want but if children are under the age of 12 they have to provide a chaperone. They can travel how they want but have set travel dates.

Teams are responsible for coaches fees to include travel and room.

It would kill me to pay for on site hotels for cp. Our part of whole house we rented is what the cost for her part of a room would b. Have your parents ever said anything about your decision for on site? Just curious. Even with a FP bid this year (of course the year cp is done with cheer) most r renting houses.

Last edited:

Why are flights so expensive? If the owner booked a block of seats then the price shouldn't go up. If they didn't and are forcing the prices up (for later purchasers) due to airplane supply/demand...they should be held accountable. Regardless...you should not be required to purchase a ticket that is 3x price available elsewhere...someone is lining their pockets or getting some sort of kickback at the expense of the families!

@perkyninjamom I guess I see a possible upside to the gym controlling the flights and rooms. When an athlete can't go after travel plans are made then that family isn't out all that money, whoever is filling in picks up the tab.

That could be good.

**Silly owner, that's NOT how the big gyms really do it**

We have a full paid bid, but are paying for our kids to stay in a room with us and all travel arrangements. Other than their registration, I am not exactly sure where the money from the bid is going. I guess to the gym to pay for the coaches travel and to cover our tuition for the extra month of practice required before Worlds?

We were told where we had to stay and had to book through a travel agent the gym chose. We can fly or drive and we determine that.

CPs team has a paid bid to Worlds. The gym arranged their rooms offsite and provided the parents with a link to book at the same hotel of we choose to. Parents can stay where they wish. The kids are required to arrive Saturday by noon for practice and stay through Tuesday morning. As for flights everyone books their own flights. We do not pay the gym for any travel.

Hug them tight and never let them go!

I had to read this about 4 times to let it sink in
noway, nohow, notever - your gym is profiting off of your travel.
Our first trip to Worlds (former gym), the gym scheduled a group flight that all team members had to take to Worlds (they could make different arrangements home but there was also a round trip option). Parents were given the same rate, and the group rate was as good if not better than if I had booked the flight on my own. That year the team stayed on package. We had an itemized list of all of our charges and it was very reasonable.
2nd year of Worlds the team chose to stay together on-site, but it was not required. I had 2 CPs on the team and I allowed my oldest to stay on package and my youngest (along with another teammate) stayed with DH and I at our time share. Travel arrangements are completely up to the athlete's family (the gym does assist if the parent can't go with chaperones, etc).
Last year same policy but our gym chose not to stay on package, but most of the team stayed at the same hotel. The gym reserved a block at a resort about 10 minutes outside of Disney as an option, but you were free to stay where ever you chose to. This year is the same. Our paid bid amount is credited to our account at the gym. The gym charges the commuter registration fee and we are free to use the remaining bid money as we choose, which is great for those who have miles, hotel points, etc. We have to be there at a certain time and can leave any time Tuesday or after. I feel that our gym (and also our former gym) make it as easy and economical as possible to travel and I am very grateful for that, especially after hearing about how some other gyms do things.

Our IOLC6 has an at large bid. They all book their own flights within a given time frame, and they're all staying at Disney at one of the resorts. There's 6 athletes on the ICU team, and they'll be there in advance of the rest of their all star team for training.

It used to be that if you had a block of seats on a plane you were "guaranteeing" the price against increase, along with the ability to give names at a later date. In the last few years, the airlines are not giving great pricing to these blocks, so you are basically paying for the ability to change names, which works great for gyms who might want to make changes to their roster, not so much for the athletes and their parents. These blocks are usually also held with a $50 pp deposit and final payment due about 30-45 days prior. You are basically paying for the gym's ability to do whatever they want up until final payment. Now, on the other side of the coin, the gym is making sure that the parents who don't purchase when they should are tied into flights. I can understand that as well. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard of parents the week of Worlds WHO DO NOT HAVE FLIGHT. Not sure if they were thinking the prices would go down, did not have the money, etc. If you look at your flights in the block and price them to purchase right now, you will probably see a much cheaper total. You would have change fees if you wanted to change, but I think that is still a better option than tying your team to more expensive block flights.

We have a full paid bid, but are paying for our kids to stay in a room with us and all travel arrangements. Other than their registration, I am not exactly sure where the money from the bid is going. I guess to the gym to pay for the coaches travel and to cover our tuition for the extra month of practice required before Worlds?

We were told where we had to stay and had to book through a travel agent the gym chose. We can fly or drive and we determine that.
Not sure what your bid is covering either. Our full paid bid covers registration and our kids hotel rooms for 4 nights. We are responsible for air and food. It might cover coaches costs as well since they are not asking for any more money from us.

Back