All-Star 2012 London Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I read this quote from an Olympic synchronized swimming competitor in an online news article and it instantly resonated with me.
I think it is really interesting how so many other sports have the same difficulty as cheer of being understood and appreciated; even though being in the Olympics should effectively 'legitimize' the sport.
I think it shows that even IF cheer ever did make it into the Olympics, there would still be a lot of argument whether it was an 'actual' sport or not.

"Imagine yourself dancing the tango, for four minutes, in a three metre deep pool, in full make-up and in perfect time with seven others. Upside down, without ever touching the bottom... Now make it look effortless."

Gotta say... it sounds pretty hard! But still can't get over them covering their hair in gelatine... :S

I read this quote from an Olympic synchronized swimming competitor in an online news article and it instantly resonated with me.
I think it is really interesting how so many other sports have the same difficulty as cheer of being understood and appreciated; even though being in the Olympics should effectively 'legitimize' the sport.
I think it shows that even IF cheer ever did make it into the Olympics, there would still be a lot of argument whether it was an 'actual' sport or not.

"Imagine yourself dancing the tango, for four minutes, in a three metre deep pool, in full make-up and in perfect time with seven others. Upside down, without ever touching the bottom... Now make it look effortless."

Gotta say... it sounds pretty hard! But still can't get over them covering their hair in gelatine... :S

I watched some of it yesterday. The did some tosses and the commentators were breaking down the skill and said "they call the girls that go up "flyers". That seems logical."
It's funny how similar it is to cheer. They have to change formations frequently, they have to all be upside down at some point (AND change formation while upside down--hello standing tumbling), they do tosses and lifts, they must be perfectly synchronized and they have to smile and look pretty and be fierce the whole time they do these physically demanding feats. In the water!

Much respect for these ladies.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29025-1344526161-7.gif

I thought it sounded really dumb and easy until I watched it the other day. I was in complete awe of what they do. I couldn't imagine the ab strength it take to stay upside down underwater and do the spins all while holding their breath. I seriously have so much respect for them now.

I met a former Olympian today - she's Hawaiian but swam for the Philippines in the 2008 Bejing games, in the 100 fly and free I think she said. She had an Olympics rings tattoo on her shoulder which is what led me to ask her.

THE SPICE GIRLS ARE PERFORMING AT THE CLOSING CEREMONY.

Excited2.gif
My reaction exactly. I feel like us early 90 kids and before are the only ones excited about this. Little girls these days don't know what they are missing, an important movie and group in a girls life. But its not just for girls, my older brother and I would have Spice World on the replay. Matter of fact I'm about to watch it on DVR.....can't wait til sunday!!!!

Back