OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
people are so sensitive these days its pathetic. Like recently when a schools up north decided to ban halloween festivities at elementary schools cause they found it offensive to other religions.....:rolleyes:

apparently that ban has now been lifted, but seriously like holy cow a 3rd grader might be offended by having to stare at halloween costumes all day, how ever will he survive......

people are so sensitive these days its pathetic. Like recently when a schools up north decided to ban halloween festivities at elementary schools cause they found it offensive to other religions.....:rolleyes:

apparently that ban has now been lifted, but seriously like holy cow a 3rd grader might be offended by having to stare at halloween costumes all day, how ever will he survive......
Halloween festivities were always (and still are) banned at my elementary school and I'm a freshman in college... I didn't think people still had them. We had "fall" parties and costumes weren't allowed. We also had holiday parties, not Christmas parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the Internet is widely to blame for this. I am a telecommunications major and we talk about this a lot in class. Though many people have research and experience to put behind their opinions, many people also do not. Their opinion stems from something they read like one time on Facebook or tumblr or reddit or whatever without doing research to a) prove that they actually read factual information, and b) go deeper into the matter (see both sides of the story) and THEN evaluate their beliefs and morals to see how it matches up.

One of my old friends fell into a tumblr hole and turned into the most judgmental, opinionated and "that offends me" person I may have ever met. It's not a bad website and she's not a bad person but she soaked up everything she read like a sponge and it got to the point where if you said something she didn't agree with, she'd jump down your throat and refuse to speak to you again. It is also definitely a personal problem for her, but her blatant disregard for the opinions of her friends and only for what she read on the Internet caused her to lose 80-90% of her friends. I was not one of them, but when I am around her I know I have to tread very, very carefully.

See both sides of every story. Research. Evaluate. It's OK to not have an opinion or to be unsure. And it's OK to have an unpopular opinion. Just make sure you can back it up!!

That strikes me as ridiculous, since Halloween (at least, modern-day Halloween) has no religious connotations. And Christmas has been commercialized to this point at which it isn't about Jesus or Christianity anymore.

Tumblr is too ultra-PC for me. I think the main problem is that people can't simply agree to disagree nowadays.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of that type of mascot. In my opinion, we make a lot of exceptions for intolerance based on "tradition."

Also, I have zero problem with public schools not celebrating traditional holidays. I'd prefer they stick to education and let families celebrate how they choose. Halloween? Eh...it's a fun holiday, but there's not really a place for it in education (other than education on the topic, of course. And maybe as a nutritional topic).

im part of a wedding forum, as im getting married in May. And i griped in the random forum about having to possibly do jury duty, and having to miss work... apparently i offended a whole lot of people considering their responses.
i laughed and told them they were being a little too ridiculous to a random post among a thousand other random posts, and proceeded to get lectured some more.

im part of a wedding forum, as im getting married in May. And i griped in the random forum about having to possibly do jury duty, and having to miss work... apparently i offended a whole lot of people considering their responses.
i laughed and told them they were being a little too ridiculous to a random post among a thousand other random posts, and proceeded to get lectured some more.

TOTALLY off topic, but I have a serious issue with jury duty based on economic issues. When my husband has jury duty, his work pays him his full salary and he gets to pocket the small amount our county offers in exchange for his time. When my SON serves jury duty, he has to use unpaid time off and can't pay his bills.

Last edited:
TOTALLY of topic, but I have a serious issue with jury duty based on economic issues. When my husband has jury duty, his work pays him his full salary and he gets to pocket the small amount our county offers in exchange for his time. When my SON serves jury duty, he has to use unpaid time off and can't pay his bills.
yes to this.. my work was just going to unschedule me for the week so that if i did get called i didnt have to work, etc. but they werent about to give me paid time off, or anything for it.
people claim its against the law, and it probably is, but that doesnt stop companies from doing it.

All of us can find something offensive and that in and of itself is not the issue. The problem is "ego", when we decide something is offensive, and therefore, everyone else should, too.

Hypothetical question: what would you say to a school with a mascot of the blackskins? Do you consider that offensive? Why or why not?

I'll answer your question with a question. Should my opinion dictate what the outcome should be? We either want freedom or we want to be the moral compass for everyone else. My question, "Who gets to be the moral compass?"

yes to this.. my work was just going to unschedule me for the week so that if i did get called i didnt have to work, etc. but they werent about to give me paid time off, or anything for it.
people claim its against the law, and it probably is, but that doesnt stop companies from doing it.
That sucks.

I guess, more specifically, I feel it's inappropriate for public schools to use potentially offensive mascots. If a private school wants to, you are free to not participate in the school. If a professional sports team chooses that type of mascot, you don't have to be a fan.

Hypothetical question: what would you say to a school with a mascot of the blackskins? Do you consider that offensive? Why or why not?
As @gofriars610 said, mascots are celebrated. I have no idea why any mascot would offend anyone. I have traceable Cherokee roots and I am not offended in the least about any Indian mascot. Most school systems have been around for decades if not centuries and it is more offensive to change a mascot because a group of individuals decided it is no longer PC after all this time IMO.
It reminds me of last year when my CP's high school changed PowderPuff to "girls flag football" because ONE student said that Powderpuff was degrading. As a society we cave to these small groups of people and ruin tradition and heritage. Should I demand that my school district change their "Blue Knights" mascot because I'm Republican? Where do we draw the line??!!

As @gofriars610 said, mascots are celebrated. I have no idea why any mascot would offend anyone. I have traceable Cherokee roots and I am not offended in the least about any Indian mascot. Most school systems have been around for decades if not centuries and it is more offensive to change a mascot because a group of individuals decided it is no longer PC after all this time IMO.
It reminds me of last year when my CP's high school changed PowderPuff to "girls flag football" because ONE student said that Powderpuff was degrading. As a society we cave to these small groups of people and ruin tradition and heritage. Should I demand that my school district change their "Blue Knights" mascot because I'm Republican? Where do we draw the line??!!
That's ridiculous.

Back