OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
I was always told that redskins was a slur towards Native Americans or a reference towards scalping. So I don't think it's okay to use it because it's pretty derogatory towards Native Americans. Especially because people have made "Trail of Tears" signs and I don't think that is okay at all.

I'm okay with something like Blackhawks for a team name because I don't consider that derogatory as it's the name of the tribe. But I can see why a Native American could find it offensive to have something as important to them/their culture like their tribe be packaged and commercialized as a mascot even if it is supposed to be a source of pride.

Overall, I kind of agree that the world has gotten way too politically correct/sensitive, but if Native Americans have an issue with it maybe we should listen to them and try and understand their reasoning. I can say redskins isn't offensive to me, but I'm not Native American and haven't experienced any of the discrimination that they have.

Just my thoughts.

Just now, when I looked up "native American mascots" in google images, I def saw plenty of things I found offensive, including a Trail of Tears reference used in a spirit sign, which I found shocking. I suppose it's the tendency for taking things to the extreme in sports spirit that makes me uncomfortable. I'm not Native American. I have very little knowledge of ritual dress but, I wonder about fans wearing headdresses and the like.

From what i've read .. and have seen its very offensive to wear native american headdresses

It's called "cultural appropriation." But some people take it reallyyyyy far.
My problem is the fact that people wearing the headdresses tend to be culturally ignorant.

Like "oh I'm wearing a Native American headdress because our mascot is an Apache Indian!" But then you do some research and find that they are actually wearing a Cherokee headdress. The person wearing the headdress doesn't care because they figure that one tribe's style of traditional dress is representative of the native dress of ALL NA tribes.

I see the same thing with the racist caricature of an African man with a bone through his nose, as if ALL African tribes wear bones like that.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about using Braves as a mascot? When I've seen Braves, it's usually portrayed as a Native American, as are Redskins. Granted, the name doesn't sound as bad but it can still bring up the same issue as having Redskins as the mascot too. So is Braves okay or is the potential of cultural appropriation and being offensive too great?

Note: this is just a thought I had, I am neither expressing opinion nor trying to add fuel to the fire!

How do you guys feel about using Braves as a mascot? When I've seen Braves, it's usually portrayed as a Native American, as are Redskins. Granted, the name doesn't sound as bad but it can still bring up the same issue as having Redskins as the mascot too. So is Braves okay or is the potential of cultural appropriation and being offensive too great?

Note: this is just a thought I had, I am neither expressing opinion nor trying to add fuel to the fire!
IMO Braves doesn't sound derogatory at all.

I think it's safe to agree that Braves is a better alternative to Redskins as a mascot name.
However, do you think it's still okay to use Braves because many instances mentioned above could easily be applied with Braves as a mascot (ex: trail of tears sign, wearing headdresses?)

I think it's safe to agree that Braves is a better alternative to Redskins as a mascot name.
However, do you think it's still okay to use Braves because many instances mentioned above could easily be applied with Braves as a mascot (ex: trail of tears sign, wearing headdresses?)
Could you elaborate? I'm slightly confused.

Like, are you asking if I would still be okay with Braves as a mascot if it were paired with TOT signs and headdresses?

I agree. It isn't the use of a Native American term that is the issue but rather a derogatory term for Native Americans.

Braves is fine for a mascot. Tribal names are okay.

Arizona used to have a mountain, park, highway, etc… with a derogatory name. They changed it a few years ago. Since I don't live there now, I get confused because I can't remember the new name.

Could you elaborate? I'm slightly confused.
People are offended by the use of the Trail of Tears spirit sign and the wearing Native American headdresses. These occurred with Redskins as a mascot. However since Braves are also portrayed as Native Americans, is changing the mascot to Braves enough to fix the possible offensiveness of Redskins or do you think that having Braves as a mascot can still lead to potential conflict?

People are offended by the use of the Trail of Tears spirit sign and the wearing Native American headdresses. These occurred with Redskins as a mascot. However since Braves are also portrayed as Native Americans, is changing the mascot to Braves enough to fix the possible offensiveness of Redskins or do you think that having Braves as a mascot can still lead to potential conflict?
I feel like adding the TOT signs and headdresses makes potential conflict MUCH more likely.

Okay I thought I was clear, but I guess I wasn't. To restate:

Redskins and Braves are different names for the same mascot. Yes, Braves is less offensive than Redskins. However, potentially offensive signs and spirit wear are still going to occur under either name. So is Braves as a mascot just as bad as Redskins or does having a less offensive name make it okay?

Okay I thought I was clear, but I guess I wasn't. To restate:

Redskins and Braves are different names for the same mascot. Yes, Braves is less offensive than Redskins. However, potentially offensive signs and spirit wear are still going to occur under either name. So is Braves as a mascot just as bad as Redskins or does having a less offensive name make it okay?
Offensive names and spirit wear are not okay, regardless of whether or not the mascot name is offensive.

Back