OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
Halloween festivities were always (and still are) banned at my elementary school and I'm a freshman in college... I didn't think people still had them. We had "fall" parties and costumes weren't allowed. We also had holiday parties, not Christmas parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the girl's were in school in Missouri they couldn't wear costumes so they made vocabulary hats. Florida, it's full on costume mayhem! As long as it's tasteful---no vampires, scary things, or witches but they can dress up as just about anything else. Last year CP was a cheerleader and DP was Alice in Wonderland. No clue on this year.

I feel like the Internet is widely to blame for this. I am a telecommunications major and we talk about this a lot in class. Though many people have research and experience to put behind their opinions, many people also do not. Their opinion stems from something they read like one time on Facebook or tumblr or reddit or whatever without doing research to a) prove that they actually read factual information, and b) go deeper into the matter (see both sides of the story) and THEN evaluate their beliefs and morals to see how it matches up.

One of my old friends fell into a tumblr hole and turned into the most judgmental, opinionated and "that offends me" person I may have ever met. It's not a bad website and she's not a bad person but she soaked up everything she read like a sponge and it got to the point where if you said something she didn't agree with, she'd jump down your throat and refuse to speak to you again. It is also definitely a personal problem for her, but her blatant disregard for the opinions of her friends and only for what she read on the Internet caused her to lose 80-90% of her friends. I was not one of them, but when I am around her I know I have to tread very, very carefully.

See both sides of every story. Research. Evaluate. It's OK to not have an opinion or to be unsure. And it's OK to have an unpopular opinion. Just make sure you can back it up!!

EEK! I know a few or more of those types of people. They drive me insane and half of them are my in-laws. I absolutely love how they shared every political thing on the planet, but if you point out how inaccurate it is their response is, "Well it could be true." No...it's not true, it doesn't matter that it could be at another time and place.

I find this for warnings and PSA's too. There was a recent viral thing about a pedo ring targeting a child in Target in Tampa. The story was bogus but people shared it on the off chance that 'it could happen,' ignoring the fact that pedo rings don't actually pilfer children like that---but hey, let's all be paranoid at Target anyway! Ugh.

Hypothetical question: what would you say to a school with a mascot of the blackskins? Do you consider that offensive? Why or why not?

That label would have to actually be a thing for me to even consider the question. Wetback I've heard, redskins I've heard, the N word I've heard---but blackskins? I'd think it was a kind of bear or a fish.

All of us can find something offensive and that in and of itself is not the issue. The problem is "ego", when we decide something is offensive, and therefore, everyone else should, too.

I'll answer your question with a question. Should my opinion dictate what the outcome should be? We either want freedom or we want to be the moral compass for everyone else. My question, "Who gets to be the moral compass?"

DING, DING, DING! I'm over being told what to be offended over when I don't make that big of a deal out of things that actually offend me. Want to see me really get pissed off---use the term retarded to describe another human being, call someone autistic because they're socially awkward and combine those two words to make an insult and I see red. However, I'm not calling for people to ban the words---small situation, but same concept.

Hell I graduated from high school IN A CHURCH! In a freaking church! Not only did I think i was going to burst into flames, every photo I have has a cross in the background. Ugh!

I guess, more specifically, I feel it's inappropriate for public schools to use potentially offensive mascots. If a private school wants to, you are free to not participate in the school. If a professional sports team chooses that type of mascot, you don't have to be a fan.

yes but "potentially offensive" is a REALLY dangerous territory to wade into. Every mascot is potentially offensive if you dig hard enough.

My high school was the Red Storm. It's, in part, a reference to communism, which resulted in the death of millions of people. Do we get rid of that? (This is the only line of my post which is actually a fact about my life, btw. All of the mascots that are about to be listed are real and from public schools in Maine. Also, we were supposed to be the Titans but that got nixed because Titans, creatures who are mythical and are not real, ate their young.)

Another school is the Witches. As a practicing Catholic, I'm offended* by the idea of my child potentially having to cheer "Go Witches" as it appears to endorse the occult. Gone?
" Yachtsmen. " I'm poor and can't afford a yacht. I don't like a mascot that enforces a stereotype that my town is a bunch of rich snobs.
" Blue Blazes. " I'm offended because that sounds like a drug reference.
" Red Riots. " Riots are dangerous and are not something I want associated with my school.
" Vikings. " The vikings raped and pillaged.
" Minutemen." The minutemen carried guns.

(Side note HOLY COW do a bunch of Maine schools have silly mascots.)

*not really.

Last edited:
yes but "potentially offensive" is a REALLY dangerous territory to wade into. Every mascot is potentially offensive if you dig hard enough.

My high school was the Red Storm. It's, in part, a reference to communism, which resulted in the death of millions of people. Do we get rid of that? (This is the only line of my post which is actually a fact about my life, btw. All of the mascots that are about to be listed are real and from public schools in Maine. Also, we were supposed to be the Titans but that got nixed because Titans, creatures who are mythical and are not real, ate their young.)

Another school is the Witches. As a practicing Catholic, I'm offended* by the idea of my child potentially having to cheer "Go Witches" as it appears to endorse the occult. Gone?
" Yachtsmen. " I'm poor and can't afford a yacht. I don't like a mascot that enforces a stereotype that my town is a bunch of rich snobs.
" Blue Blazes. " I'm offended because that sounds like a drug reference.
" Red Riots. " Riots are dangerous and are not something I want associated with my school.
" Vikings. " The vikings raped and pillaged.
" Minutemen." The minutemen carried guns.

(Side note HOLY COW do a bunch of Maine schools have silly mascots.)

*not really.
LOL. So do lots of animals.

I feel like the Internet is widely to blame for this. I am a telecommunications major and we talk about this a lot in class. Though many people have research and experience to put behind their opinions, many people also do not. Their opinion stems from something they read like one time on Facebook or tumblr or reddit or whatever without doing research to a) prove that they actually read factual information, and b) go deeper into the matter (see both sides of the story) and THEN evaluate their beliefs and morals to see how it matches up.

One of my old friends fell into a tumblr hole and turned into the most judgmental, opinionated and "that offends me" person I may have ever met. It's not a bad website and she's not a bad person but she soaked up everything she read like a sponge and it got to the point where if you said something she didn't agree with, she'd jump down your throat and refuse to speak to you again. It is also definitely a personal problem for her, but her blatant disregard for the opinions of her friends and only for what she read on the Internet caused her to lose 80-90% of her friends. I was not one of them, but when I am around her I know I have to tread very, very carefully.

See both sides of every story. Research. Evaluate. It's OK to not have an opinion or to be unsure. And it's OK to have an unpopular opinion. Just make sure you can back it up!!
I have done research on the history of the term 'Redskins' (which, oddly enough, was coined by Natives themselves). Even so, I'm not comfortable with the idea of it being used as a mascot, (which isn't a logical reaction but, meh). I know I'm contradicting my initial post but perhaps this ruling wasn't the best idea.

Last edited:
How about...I don't feel like mascots that are racially derived should be used? Or, if Native Americans (even just a handful) don't feel comfortable with these mascots, they aren't used by public schools?

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think Yachtman can really be compared to Redskins. I'm personally not offended by either, but I can see how some things could be taken too far in the case of Native American mascots...to the point where it could be offensive.

The schools in our district all have mascots that seem innocent enough. Then we have Braves. But, around here, for the most part, it's Eagles and Cougars, and that type.

That label would have to actually be a thing for me to even consider the question. Wetback I've heard, redskins I've heard, the N word I've heard---but blackskins? I'd think it was a kind of bear or a fish.

It was a "hypothetical" question which means it doesn't have to be a thing. Since you can't image what "blackskins" might mean, use "yellowskins". It's the same idea.

As @gofriars610 said, mascots are celebrated. I have no idea why any mascot would offend anyone. I have traceable Cherokee roots and I am not offended in the least about any Indian mascot. Most school systems have been around for decades if not centuries and it is more offensive to change a mascot because a group of individuals decided it is no longer PC after all this time IMO.

It reminds me of last year when my CP's high school changed PowderPuff to "girls flag football" because ONE student said that Powderpuff was degrading. As a society we cave to these small groups of people and ruin tradition and heritage. Should I demand that my school district change their "Blue Knights" mascot because I'm Republican? Where do we draw the line??!!

I'll answer your question with a question. Should my opinion dictate what the outcome should be? We either want freedom or we want to be the moral compass for everyone else. My question, "Who gets to be the moral compass?"

The point of me asking my hypothetical question was to strictly to compare it to the name "redskins" and the argument of is it or is it not offensive.

I also would like to say that there are two conversations going on in this thread; 1. Everyone can make everything offensive if they try hard enough and 2. the name "redskins" is/isn't offensive. Both conversations are related, yet both are different, but there are two different different topics being talked about like they are the same thing when they are not. (It's called switch tracking - Switchtracking | otrops.com )

So since none of you really answered my question, let me answer my own question: Is "blackskins" (or "yellowskins" for those of you who can't imagine what group of people "blackskins" might be referring to) offensive? Yes, it's offensive. Why? Because it's a comment on someones skin color. On a group of people who were once (and still are) singled out in a negative way solely because of their skin color. Who have had a horrible and violent past in Western history because of their skin color. That is why "blackskins" (or "yellowskins") would be offensive. That is why "redskins" is offensive.

To answer the other question that is being talked about in this thread, yes, I do think the world is too PC. But comparing the offensiveness of "redskins" to "Blue Knights" because the color doesn't represent your political party or "powderpuff" because it sounds degrading is, in no way, the same thing.

Just now, when I looked up "native American mascots" in google images, I def saw plenty of things I found offensive, including a Trail of Tears reference used in a spirit sign, which I found shocking. I suppose it's the tendency for taking things to the extreme in sports spirit that makes me uncomfortable. I'm not Native American. I have very little knowledge of ritual dress but, I wonder about fans wearing headdresses and the like.

Blackskins or Yellowskins means nothing to me because they're not actually used words; I can't feel a feeling about something that doesn't actually exist.

Do I find the word redskins to be offensive? My answer is maybe; if we could actually agree on what version of the word's origin we're going with. If you believe it means scalped Native Americans then my answer is a hands down, yes, it's offensive and the fact that it's even in our countries history is vile. However, if you tend to go with the European description based on face paint used by Native Americans my answer is no, not really offensive.

Being offended or not offended is based moreso on your connection to the word and what it means to you.

How about...I don't feel like mascots that are racially derived should be used? Or, if Native Americans (even just a handful) don't feel comfortable with these mascots, they aren't used by public schools?

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think Yachtman can really be compared to Redskins. I'm personally not offended by either, but I can see how some things could be taken too far in the case of Native American mascots...to the point where it could be offensive.

The schools in our district all have mascots that seem innocent enough. Then we have Braves. But, around here, for the most part, it's Eagles and Cougars, and that type.

I think all actual seahawks should be offended by the way the football team is playing!
And all cowboys should be offended too!

LOL!

Just now, when I looked up "native American mascots" in google images, I def saw plenty of things I found offensive, including a Trail of Tears reference used in a spirit sign, which I found shocking. I suppose it's the tendency for taking things to the extreme in sports spirit that makes me uncomfortable. I'm not Native American. I have very little knowledge of ritual dress but, I wonder about fans wearing headdresses and the like.
Trail of tears on spirit signs eek.

I'm with you on this. I don't think that California should be making a law or whatever about it, but race is an incredibly sensitive issue in this country and Redskins is generally considered a derogatory name for a race. I don't think they should be used. There's nothing derogatory about Minutemen or Yachtsmen or Powderpuff, even if some people might be offended by having to cheer for it.

Latest posts

Back