All-Star "ethnic Hair" Cheer Hair Issues...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And this is why I always go for straightened hair... if you have textured hair, you have to straighten it before you curl it anyway, so it's just easier to remove the step of curling. That works if your hair is already straight, cuz it takes no time at all to flatiron or blowdry it straight:)

Great Thread! :)
My cp is au natural tightly coiled (has no curl pattern cept for when its wet, once dried COTTON BALL texture). 2 week prior to comp season we go for braids. since we have a variety to work with. Last season coaches wanted high pony with curly ends. We opted for kinky twist braids with curly ends.

I have straightened her hair for the season of straight pony. as mentioned previously continuous heat on ethnic hair = breakage. My daughter lives in the pool during summer so a relaxer is a out of the questions. she is not willing to cut down on her pool time for hair. LOL

first day I curl it with my flatiron or curling iron and use only a tad bit of hair spray, second day i rollerset it with hair rollers or pin curl it

have you tried putting a gel on her when its wet to define and enhance her curls, if you do that it should dry with a curl pattern.

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned a "sew-in" but, those are good for ethnic hair. I know when i was younger and had competitions, we would wear "wiglets" (like a draw string pony tail) so all i had to do was mold my hair up in a bun and attach the hair piece, but as I got older, and wiglets start growing out of style (thank GOD lol), I would wear my hair half up, half down. Im black, but I have good or "managable" hair. But i would sweat and my roots would poof up, and I hate putting heat in my hair, and i dont get perms any more. Some people NEED perms, but if you can stay away from them, DO SO! Its hard to decide what to do if you have a younger daughter who competes, and trying to get her hair right. Sew-Ins are great! However, it all depends on the kind of hair that you buy, the more expensive, the better. I have a sew in now and just started competing again, and i wear it half up, half down, and i curl it. Looks really good, and it lasts for a while. So if you dont want to deal with perms, or constant heat in your hair, buy some good weave and get a sew in lol =)

Oh my gosh. This thread! Man, do I have a stupid question. My teams are all doing straight hair this year. I have one mom who said she will not straighten her daughters hair (she is not putting chemicals on it! - :confused:) Is there some type of style I can try for her to semi match (we are talking Minis here, so its not much of an issue for me)

Oh my gosh. This thread! Man, do I have a stupid question. My teams are all doing straight hair this year. I have one mom who said she will not straighten her daughters hair (she is not putting chemicals on it! - :confused:) Is there some type of style I can try for her to semi match (we are talking Minis here, so its not much of an issue for me)

Will she put heat in it?? Using a flat iron could work. I think it would be best if she flat ironed the hair the night before, and wrap it over night, to avoid putting more heat on the hair, if that makes sense. I am a hairologist haha, i can explain more if you need =)

My daughter is mixed and I obviously dont have a problem straightening her hair with a flat iron. However, we have another mixed girl and her hair is really curly and pretty but she never straightened her hair for any competitions. Now she is on our sr4 team so she is older but the coaches allow her to wear her hair different. She still wears a high pony it just isn't straight. That could be why her curls still look so good!
So I don't know of anything to help you out with that situation but if you just let her slide I'm sure it's no big deal.

n567530600_3534439_1677.jpg

This is before it grew so it's even "bigger" now, don't think it would be safe to let it fly lol

267761_1972228578379_1022962639_31856427_7971007_n.jpg

Recent picture, no matter what it's work lol

Love the 2nd pic her hair is absolutely gorge..

i have this problem too. I have very curly bi racial hair, they use to call my peurto rician richard simmons haha i know, but since 7th grade i flat iron my hair with a wet 2 dry iron and garne frutise serum.. Im now a sophmore, since I have been straightening my hair for so long my natural curls are a hot mess, and the idea of me having to straighten my hair just to put cheer curls in makes my mom mad, im getting curl formers and will try that but so far I have used hot rollers with a little hot sets on each strand before we roll, when we take them out i unroll in a spiral direction. It took me 2 hrs to do this, I also use a few hair extentions that we roll the night before and style before I work on my actual hair,
I just wish curl formers were so darn expensive.

Will she put heat in it?? Using a flat iron could work. I think it would be best if she flat ironed the hair the night before, and wrap it over night, to avoid putting more heat on the hair, if that makes sense. I am a hairologist haha, i can explain more if you need =)

Could you explain more please? I know that even if this child's mom does not want to do it right, I have other children that this would apply to and I would like to preserve their hair!!!

And Kris10boo...you are right. I don't think its a big deal.

Could you explain more please? I know that even if this child's mom does not want to do it right, I have other children that this would apply to and I would like to preserve their hair!!!

And Kris10boo...you are right. I don't think its a big deal.

Of cousre! Once youve flat ironed the hair, you wanna wrap it, and put a scarf on over night. Like, brush all of you hair in one direction, starting from the front of your hair where your bangs are. Its really hard to explain, it would be much easier if i could show you. Im sure there are tons of videos on youtube that show how to wrap your hair. It really helps! I promise!

I have really curly hair so when I have to straighten it I use 3 day straight Frizz Ease by John Frida, it works WONDERS when I have to cheer at a game. There was one game where it was raining and I had my hair up in a pony tail. I took it down the next day and it was still stick straight, no bumps or anything.

Back