All-Star "ethnic Hair" Cheer Hair Issues...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Typically coach's are caucasian and don't understand that you can not treat hair "ethnic" hair the same as caucasian. Also, it's not good to pull it up or back in a ponytail because that causes breakage and gel is a huge NO, NO! Our coach at Rays understand that it is not good to do certain things to ethnic hair and basically tells the girls to do what you need to do to make it work . Most girls do half up half down if it is shoulder length or shorter. Bi racial girls with curly hair usually pull it into a high pony and leave curly. My CP did braids for the last 2 competitions and we loved it and will be doing them again for this season.

This is an awesome thread! OK, so my CP and I both have the "straight off the slave boat" hair that is capable of breaking teeth in combs...
Although she and I are of the same ethnicity I still had to learn how to do her hair since I didn't do my own hair until I graduated from college ( seriously - my mom paid to get my hair done in a salon and my girlfriends would meet me in the bathroom in high school to put my hair in a ponytail...- plus it was relaxed )
I've tried a ton of things but have now gotten a pretty good conditioning routine that leaves her hair soft and manageable enough so that I can comb through it without her crying...granted I give her an Advil before I start...
When she first started cheering she was on an all black team so the coaches had all the tinys and minis wear their hair braided into 2 curly weave pony tails.
When she moved to her current gym she had to wear her hair slicked back into a ponytail. We do a lot of "pony whips" at mix so I used to take her to get her hair done and would have a long straight pony tail added to her hair. However, she couldn't swim with her friends so last year I experimented with different products so that I could let her swim the night before and beat her hair back into a pony and pin her fake pony in myself (so far so good - we only had one scare really when it came out on the blue floor backstage)
I get a nice slick look with olive oil pudding and Jam gel - then I use a million pins in her pony.
I can twist and untwist her hair or use kinky curly and do a half up half down curly look that is cute.
If we are competing locally (meaning no hotel and no swimming) I take her to the salon and have her hair pressed ( I dont put heat on her hair myself) and she wears it half up and half down. I usually get blue hair sewn into her pony tail at the top and in the hair that is down in back so it's like a fade from blue to black.

P.s. We've never had to do a pouf and if we ever do I'm not sure what I'll do in that case - though our coaches wouldn't give me a hard time if I said it couldn't happen...

This is an awesome thread! OK, so my CP and I both have the "straight off the slave boat" hair that is capable of breaking teeth in combs...
Although she and I are of the same ethnicity I still had to learn how to do her hair since I didn't do my own hair until I graduated from college ( seriously - my mom paid to get my hair done in a salon and my girlfriends would meet me in the bathroom in high school to put my hair in a ponytail...- plus it was relaxed )
I've tried a ton of things but have now gotten a pretty good conditioning routine that leaves her hair soft and manageable enough so that I can comb through it without her crying...granted I give her an Advil before I start...
When she first started cheering she was on an all black team so the coaches had all the tinys and minis wear their hair braided into 2 curly weave pony tails.
When she moved to her current gym she had to wear her hair slicked back into a ponytail. We do a lot of "pony whips" at mix so I used to take her to get her hair done and would have a long straight pony tail added to her hair. However, she couldn't swim with her friends so last year I experimented with different products so that I could let her swim the night before and beat her hair back into a pony and pin her fake pony in myself (so far so good - we only had one scare really when it came out on the blue floor backstage)
I get a nice slick look with olive oil pudding and Jam gel - then I use a million pins in her pony.
I can twist and untwist her hair or use kinky curly and do a half up half down curly look that is cute.
If we are competing locally (meaning no hotel and no swimming) I take her to the salon and have her hair pressed ( I dont put heat on her hair myself) and she wears it half up and half down. I usually get blue hair sewn into her pony tail at the top and in the hair that is down in back so it's like a fade from blue to black.

By week #3 after a relaxer thats how mines feel

if anyone has one can you post a picture of their hair after they used curlformers

I've seen girls with 'ethnic hair' who have used curlformers in person, but I don't have any pics. Though I was looking at their website for purchasing some for myself and there are a few photos in the photo gallery. Most of the girl's hair that I have seen turns out like the pictures. it's a loose, flowy curl

http://www.curlformers.com/curlformers-gallery.htm

hope that helps :)

My only question is this - we ALL know by now that cp has relaxed hair, and curling it for comp is a pain. Curling iron is a no, so I use mousse on dry hair and sponge roll it the night before. It works, but doesn't give that big, poofy, pageant-curl thing that the coach really wants. He does NOT want spiral curls or waves. He wants 80's "Dallas" hair. So, how do I do that?
...full head curly sew in... I wish I was kidding but I'm not...I've seen a whole team compete in it...

...full head curly sew in... I wish I was kidding but I'm not...I've seen a whole team compete in it...

I wish that would work. Unfortunately, with the relaxer she has done, she effectively has caucasian hair and I don't care how you braid and sew it, that joker WILL come out.

Twinklilstarsmom...
Does your cp have relaxed hair???? I will try your suggestion, but my cp doesnt have relaxed hair anymore (it was making her hair break off, so we let the relaxer grow out).. Just wanted all of the details...

I wet set or use rods on my daughters hair the night before(she sits under the dryer for about 40 mins to set the curl). I use Narobi setting foam. It leaves her hair soft and with a moderate hold. I use it on mine as well. Sometimes I spiral curl it dirty only because I have to use a holding spray to keep the curl, but the next day I wash it. I don't like to leave all that hair product in her hair. @My3KidsMom u may wanna try the "mixed chicks" product line for your baby's curly tresses but the Narobi mouse will tame it a lot.

Twinklilstarsmom...
Does your cp have relaxed hair???? I will try your suggestion, but my cp doesnt have relaxed hair anymore (it was making her hair break off, so we let the relaxer grow out).. Just wanted all of the details...
My cp does not have a relaxer and has really delicate ethnic hair which broke off last season due to flat ironing, hot curl, so I'm very interested in knowing the best way to treat her hair this season so that she can have some type of curl without breakage!!

I stopped getting relaxers and i do my own hair (i'm 15) it's looks just as good as it does in the salon. The only time i don't do my hair is when i have special events coming up and i just let my mom handle it. the only thing i switched up was my shampoo and conditioner! it makes your hair really really soft you can actually curl or tease your hair and it will work & stay. It's called Redken all soft. if you have rough hair i recommend using this! my hair used to be so thick and wild and it would never stay! this shampoo works wonders and my hair is so soft! i get compliments all the time.

Twinklilstarsmom...
My CP's hair is relaxed. I try to go without a relaxer in her hair and it's very difficult for me to manage. I stay in her hair, it's a pet peeve of mine. I wash weekly and deep condition it twice a month (kera care products or mixed chicks). The summer swimming has been harsh on her hair so we will be doing wet set, flat twist and spiral curls for a while. I also swear by Hask and placenta leave in conditioners. Constant pony tails cause stress damage to the edges of our girls hair so u have to change it up, let it hang. Sleep on a satin pillow case, we carry ours when we travel. The cotton pillow cases dry and pull your hair out. Just my two cents worth. I know hair is my obsession, I missed my calling, lol.

My CP's hair is relaxed. I try to go without a relaxer in her hair and it's very difficult for me to manage. I stay in her hair, it's a pet peeve of mine. I wash weekly and deep condition it twice a month (kera care products or mixed chicks). The summer swimming has been harsh on her hair so we will be doing wet set, flat twist and spiral curls for a while. I also swear by Hask and placenta leave in conditioners. Constant pony tails cause stress damage to the edges of our girls hair so u have to change it up, let it hang. Sleep on a satin pillow case, we carry ours when we travel. The cotton pillow cases dry and pull your hair out. Just my two cents worth. I know hair is my obsession, I missed my calling, lol.
are pillow pets satin? being serious here. i love my pillow pet and i would hate to have to cover him with a satin pillow case :(

Back