All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I don't think this is a thing to cheer parents, I can actually see why the news picked it up as news. It appears like a case of discrimination (though we know it's not, it's been sensationalized as if it were), it's an attack of natural hair (even though we know it's not, it appears that it is) and with companies like Dove spending multi-millions on 'Love Your Curls' esqu campaigns that had cute little 5-8 year old girls talking about how they want their hair to be straight because curls aren't pretty---which was shoved in people's faces only a few months ago...it's gets blown up.

I hope it blows over for WE and nothing more comes of it, but taking myself out of the cheer universe this type of story absolutely makes sense to me...even though the story is mostly a lie.

While I don't think this is a thing to cheer parents, I can actually see why the news picked it up as news. It appears like a case of discrimination (though we know it's not, it's been sensationalized as if it were), it's an attack of natural hair (even though we know it's not, it appears that it is) and with companies like Dove spending multi-millions on 'Love Your Curls' esqu campaigns that had cute little 5-8 year old girls talking about how they want their hair to be straight because curls aren't pretty---which was shoved in people's faces only a few months ago...it's gets blown up.

I hope it blows over for WE and nothing more comes of it, but taking myself out of the cheer universe this type of story absolutely makes sense to me...even though the story is mostly a lie.
Don't even get me started on what hypocritical BS those campaigns are...

I can only comment on this 1/4 of the way I want to, but I don't get the Love Your Curls movement and I low key think it's an appropriation of another movement, and that's why this issue to me is such a non story. And my suggestions for it are from be perspective of a WOC with natural hair that has spent thousands of dollars getting my hair chemically straightened for 20+ years....every 4-6 weeks.

The mom looks like a fool...especially since there are plenty of solutions that people have been using for decades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't even get me started on what hypocritical BS those campaigns are...

Oh trust me, I get it---even the Like A Girl campaign has enough to make me see red. But the average consumer got nailed with those commercials through social media, social media made it a thing and now the media has a thing
I can only comment on this 1/4 of the way I want to, but I don't get the Love Your Curls movement and I low key think it's an appropriation of another movement, and that's why this issue to me is such a non story. And my suggestions for it are from be perspective of a WOC with natural hair that has spent thousands of dollars getting my hair chemically straightened for 20+ years....every 4-6 weeks.

The mom looks like a fool...especially since there are plenty of solutions that people have been using for decades

I don't really disagree with you on any point and I don't get the curl movement either given that I have dead straight hair and I've wanted curls my entire life because my hair is boring. But I'm just giving a perspective from people who are outsiders---I actually got a call today from a family member because they saw this news article and wanted to know if it effected my kid---as if we cheer at WE (we don't, we aren't even in the same state) and her hair is also dead straight. What I'm seeing on the comments and those sharing it are the cheer parents get it and calling the mom out, while everyone else is anti-WE. The point of news, nowadays, is to get hits and shares and comments and like---this article fulfilled all of that so for ABC to run it just makes sense.

As a nonWOC with curly hair, I will try to explain what you might not get about the whole Love Your Curls campaign. I live in a region where most women have chemically straightened and quite honestly fried looking hair unless it's done really well. Unless you go to a salon who knows how to cut curly hair, all you get are stylists who want to give you the same cut as everyone else and the blow your hair straight. Most advertisements and tv shows feature women with perfectly straight hair or straight hair that's been styled, curled and sprayed to perfection which is not how naturally curly hair behaves. While I am not equating having curly hair with WOC hair issues, it is a very valid campaign and one that as a curly haired person I am truly enjoying.

As a nonWOC with curly hair, I will try to explain what you might not get about the whole Love Your Curls campaign. I live in a region where most women have chemically straightened and quite honestly fried looking hair unless it's done really well. Unless you go to a salon who knows how to cut curly hair, all you get are stylists who want to give you the same cut as everyone else and the blow your hair straight. Most advertisements and tv shows feature women with perfectly straight hair or straight hair that's been styled, curled and sprayed to perfection which is not how naturally curly hair behaves. While I am not equating having curly hair with WOC hair issues, it is a very valid campaign and one that as a curly haired person I am truly enjoying.
I'm pretty sure she already understands.

Oh trust me, I get it---even the Like A Girl campaign has enough to make me see red. But the average consumer got nailed with those commercials through social media, social media made it a thing and now the media has a thing

I don't really disagree with you on any point and I don't get the curl movement either given that I have dead straight hair and I've wanted curls my entire life because my hair is boring. But I'm just giving a perspective from people who are outsiders---I actually got a call today from a family member because they saw this news article and wanted to know if it effected my kid---as if we cheer at WE (we don't, we aren't even in the same state) and her hair is also dead straight. What I'm seeing on the comments and those sharing it are the cheer parents get it and calling the mom out, while everyone else is anti-WE. The point of news, nowadays, is to get hits and shares and comments and like---this article fulfilled all of that so for ABC to run it just makes sense.
Not to mention that it's extra inflammatory because people perceive cheer as a big pageant that favors straight hair.

I just don't get people who choose to be non compliant, just to be noncompliant. We have one at our gym. It is really easy to wear a bra that doesn't show. All you have to do is to wear a sports bra with the regular slider straps. Her mom purposely has her wear a sports bra that shows. They won't do hair correctly, ect. All of the school dress code news stories are the same bit. People looking for attention by bucking the system. You KNOW what the rules are when you sign up for cheer. If you don't want to follow them, don't cheer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol thanks but that's not what I meant when I said "I don't get " the Love Your Curls campaign. It was like attempt to avoid going into a discussion about its appropriation and the other issues I have with it.

But for instance you used be example of of perfectly straight hair curled to perfection in a way that typical curly hair doesn't fall...however from the perspective of a little girl that looks like me...."our" curls are never emulated accurately or not. "Our" curls are nappy and Unmanageable and until recent years you would never see "our" curls on tv let alone in an ad campaign....and for the longest time only "certain" curls from WOC would be on tv if dared. If a nonWOC has their hair called "nappy" it's the insult of the insult of being compared to having black hair.

So in all of that lies the difference for me and is why I simply "don't get it".

This is such a non story. There's nothing else going on in this particular area of Texas to cover? I mean to have a reporter out in the parking lot for a live shot....he didn't any anything else to go cover? Goodness.

2. To my untrained eye her hair already looks damaged and in need of care and deep conditioning but that's neither here nor there.

3. I was expecting ringlets not waves but that's neither here nor there

4. She could have gone and gotten a lace front wig or a sew in. A trim, deep condition, and protective style would do wonders for the condition of her hair. Also she should probably invest in a satin scarf and a satin pillow case.

Her mom is being extra for no reason

LOL seriously though, that satin scarf, bonnet, pillowcase can work wonders.

Lol thanks but that's not what I meant when I said "I don't get " the Love Your Curls campaign. It was like attempt to avoid going into a discussion about its appropriation and the other issues I have with it.

But for instance you used be example of of perfectly straight hair curled to perfection in a way that typical curly hair doesn't fall...however from the perspective of a little girl that looks like me...."our" curls are never emulated accurately or not. "Our" curls are nappy and Unmanageable and until recent years you would never see "our" curls on tv let alone in an ad campaign....and for the longest time only "certain" curls from WOC would be on tv if dared. If a nonWOC has their hair called "nappy" it's the insult of the insult of being compared to having black hair.

So in all of that lies the difference for me and is why I simply "don't get it".

Case in point, the "black" girls in the LYC commercial I saw were clearly biracial-- in other words, "acceptable black".

Here we go, slow train wreck heading our way.

don't worry! I have a meme!!!

1nz5g1.jpg

Back