All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Epic story kingston !
I love a good "this is what we did to overcome" story. Happens to all of us at some point. How we react is one of the biggest tests in coaching.

Actually I LOVE this idea, I brought it up in different meetings, it doesn't seem like it's gonna get much support, IDK why, but I got shot down QUICK fast and in a hurry. To me its pretty simple, and I would make it PUBLIC! If you would like to protest YOUR routine scores it's $100, if your right, you get your money back. If you would like to protest the eligibility of an athlete at another program it's $500, their fine will be $1000 so you get your money back and $500 goes towards the scholarship fund. For me I don't see what issues this would present an EP other than making them money and deter the "Why didn't my level 2 team max out their tumbling scores? We threw some standing tucks" That I know EP's are bombarded with!

I definitely agree with the pay to challenge. It will keep out (most) frivolous claims, but allow someone who may not have absolute proof to still challenge.

With the new athlete registration, I wonder if there will be any random checks to make sure athletes are age eligible.

This is excellent-inspiring even that there are coaches and gyms with this level of integrity. I would take my kids to you any day, as they would learn that there are real consequences to cheating, or bending rules, and these should never be swept under the rug or thought to be ok.

I coached a team with an athlete that was too old a few years ago. The mother faked the birth certificate and drove her daughter to practice every time saying she never got her license even though she was 18. It was weird, however it was their prerogative (the girls questioned her on it and she just always said she was just too scared to drive and never wanted to). After our second or third local comp a coach recognized the athlete and informed us she was too old, that we probably didnt know about it, and if we competed with her again they would turn us in. So we all went back and I looked at the birth certificate (I am pretty good at finding inconsistencies from my experience with image editting) and found were the numbers didnt line up in sequence or on the page. We asked the mom to come in and bring a second copy and explained to her the situation. She said that she understood, she was the age her birth certificate said, and they would bring another to prove it. Needless to say she never showed up. (a little digging online showed she had cheered college the season before). So, after discovering what had happened we called each competition, forfeited each win, and called each coach of EACH program and explained what had happened. We explained it all to the girls on the team, were forth coming, and why we had to forfeit. The funny thing was I don't think a single one of them were mad at us for doing that. It is like they respected us for our honesty. So I do believe each team that has an illegal athlete for whatever reason should be disqualified. It is as important to the other girls on any team that they learn cheating has consequences.

I'd rather get a video in advance than call something at an event, but I have absolutely no hesitation calling everything I see at an event. In fact, ASCheerMan often gets on my case about being too punitive.
Andre, could you clarify that my getting on your case as an Event Producer isn't driven by the inethical "oh they spend so much money with our company, PLEASE don't give them a deduction" motivation that I keep hearing about that I don't really exists?

It was more like a "Andre, wipe that grin off your face. That Level 1 athlete you just saw accidentally throw a back handspring has a mother skipping dinner so her daughter can cheer and you just killed her spirit..."

Actually I LOVE this idea, I brought it up in different meetings, it doesn't seem like it's gonna get much support, IDK why, but I got shot down QUICK fast and in a hurry. To me its pretty simple, and I would make it PUBLIC! If you would like to protest YOUR routine scores it's $100, if your right, you get your money back. If you would like to protest the eligibility of an athlete at another program it's $500, their fine will be $1000 so you get your money back and $500 goes towards the scholarship fund. For me I don't see what issues this would present an EP other than making them money and deter the "Why didn't my level 2 team max out their tumbling scores? We threw some standing tucks" That I know EP's are bombarded with!
Brilliant! So... why did this not go over well?

Brilliant! So... why did this not go over well?
Kind of hard to place the timing of when I brought this up just did not seem to be going over well so I didn't feel like pushing it at that time would have ended positive. I will continue to bring this up bc it might not be a perfect system but I think it could work with some tweeking. I'm not an EP, but other than making people with frivolous complaints unhappy, I don't see the negative.

I definitely agree with the pay to challenge. It will keep out (most) frivolous claims, but allow someone who may not have absolute proof to still challenge.

With the new athlete registration, I wonder if there will be any random checks to make sure athletes are age eligible.
I don't think it's a foolproof system, but it will def deter and make it easier to investigate. Cheaters will cheat, and the CRAZIEST part of that is parents will PAY to cheat, SMH

Doesn't change your point or the validity of the idea, but I think you mean that $1000 goes in to the scholarship fund. (otherwise what happens to the other $500?)

Doesn't change your point or the validity of the idea, but I think you mean that $1000 goes in to the scholarship fund. (otherwise what happens to the other $500?)
Sorry, my brain was faster than my fingers. Correct, that money goes to scholarship fund.

Andre, could you clarify that my getting on your case as an Event Producer isn't driven by the inethical "oh they spend so much money with our company, PLEASE don't give them a deduction" motivation that I keep hearing about that I don't really exists?

It was more like a "Andre, wipe that grin off your face. That Level 1 athlete you just saw accidentally throw a back handspring has a mother skipping dinner so her daughter can cheer and you just killed her spirit..."
So you tell your judges to not deduct for illegal moves sometimes? Someone has to win someone has to lose. If someone does something wrong they deserve to be penalized for it.

So you tell your judges to not deduct for illegal moves sometimes? Someone has to win someone has to lose. If someone does something wrong they deserve to be penalized for it.
No, it wasn't as general as I told my judges not to deduct for illegal moves. Trust me, I follow rules. I wrote many of them. It was a minor difference in interpretation. Not a momentous conversation--just a light-hearted discussion.

Back