All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our coaches are actually prepared for people to call us out. They're putting my sons birth certificate on top because we're sure someone will say something...

...my weed is pushing 6-1 and crosses between a junior and senior team. The thing is, he just turned 14 in May. He IS a junior, he just looks like he's 18.

We wouldn't (and I as his mom) be angry with a gym that questioned his eligibility on a junior team (ESP when I see him cross to a senior team). I expect that will happen and have no issue with people questioning it.

Of course that might be because our gym follows the rules and we don't cheat....even when we could.

...my sons girlfriend is just a bit younger (at 12) and also cheers. However she has Turners Syndrome and is not even four feet tall (I know....the tallest kid in the gym and the shortest...they're the odd couple but we love em anyway)....we could put her flying on a mini and basing a tiny team and NO ONE would ever question it. We could get away with that forever!

But we refuse to because we follow the rules. She's on a junior team where she belongs and instead we'll deal with people claiming we use "fetus flyers" when they don't understand the severe of her medical condition but that's a rant for another thread.

Bottom line, we're prepared to prove we aren't cheating....and we don't cheat even when we know we could get away with it. And that's a major reason why my kids wear that uniform versus other options in our area.

In NC we used to always carry a binder with a copy of every child's birth certificate to every competition. We had some rather tall athletes for their age and were used to be being accused of having overage athletes.

Our coaches are actually prepared for people to call us out. They're putting my sons birth certificate on top because we're sure someone will say something...

...my weed is pushing 6-1 and crosses between a junior and senior team. The thing is, he just turned 14 in May. He IS a junior, he just looks like he's 18.

We wouldn't (and I as his mom) be angry with a gym that questioned his eligibility on a junior team (ESP when I see him cross to a senior team). I expect that will happen and have no issue with people questioning it.

Of course that might be because our gym follows the rules and we don't cheat....even when we could.

...my sons girlfriend is just a bit younger (at 12) and also cheers. However she has Turners Syndrome and is not even four feet tall (I know....the tallest kid in the gym and the shortest...they're the odd couple but we love em anyway)....we could put her flying on a mini and basing a tiny team and NO ONE would ever question it. We could get away with that forever!

But we refuse to because we follow the rules. She's on a junior team where she belongs and instead we'll deal with people claiming we use "fetus flyers" when they don't understand the severity of her medical condition but that's a rant for another thread.

Bottom line, we're prepared to prove we aren't cheating....and we don't cheat even when we know we could get away with it. And that's a major reason why my kids wear that uniform versus other options in our area.

Amen. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should. I have one senior aged kid on my senior 3 team this year, and two 9 year olds with tucks that cannot be on it. So my senior team with the average age of 12 will compete where they belong, in the senior division, and we will try and hold our own. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm going to break the rules for my own benefit.

Also, I am shorter than most of the kids on my junior team. If cheating is in, I might lace up my infinities and compete with them this year... :D Kiddingggggg....

Amen. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should. I have one senior aged kid on my senior 3 team this year, and two 9 year olds with tucks that cannot be on it. So my senior team with the average age of 12 will compete where they belong, in the senior division, and we will try and hold our own. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm going to break the rules for my own benefit.

Also, I am shorter than most of the kids on my junior team. If cheating is in, I might lace up my infinities and compete with them this year... :D Kiddingggggg....
Bring it Joy! I'm sure you're fierce on the mat!

I don't believe it is fair to try and force gyms to police each other. That just brews an environment of vitriol. As well I don't think the EP's should be made to police because they are in the business of providing a service, the event. When they are also in charge of having to police the event that can hurt their bottom line. No fault of their own, I just think it also puts EP's in a difficult position. The key is we need to create an environment where cheating is difficult and produces little advantage (getting rid of cheating altogether is frankly impossible). Identify the weak points, fix them, and move forward.

I'd say we even need to back up a step before an athlete registration system. We need the USASF to decide its scope of powers and to communicate it to all (to eliminate the endless finger pointing between the EPs and USASF.).

Once this vision is clear, gyms and Eps will have a better understanding of what becoming a member can offer.

Then we can initiate a robust athlete registration system (and I would guess parents would be more than willing to pay a bit more for a "first time" registration fee which covers the cost of starting up the database (with a reduced annual few for membership.)

Until I hear (read) that the USASF is going to make itself accountable, I would trust that even the best athlete registration system would mean anything.)

Ok so this year, all levels, every kid has to be USASF credentialed correct? So all problems solved right?

Ok so this year, all levels, every kid has to be USASF credentialed correct? So all problems solved right?
At USASF events. But if you are not registered, you can still compete, because they don't want anyone left out. And only if EPs enforce it. It's a circle, and nobody wants to put their foot down yet.

I don't believe it is fair to try and force gyms to police each other. That just brews an environment of vitriol. As well I don't think the EP's should be made to police because they are in the business of providing a service, the event. When they are also in charge of having to police the event that can hurt their bottom line. No fault of their own, I just think it also puts EP's in a difficult position. The key is we need to create an environment where cheating is difficult and produces little advantage (getting rid of cheating altogether is frankly impossible). Identify the weak points, fix them, and move forward.

I agree completely, but I think gyms being held accountable by other gyms is the only way right now. I don't trust EPs or the USASF to do it, so I want to be able to question it if needed. Gyms are usually the ones aware of cheating first, because they see them and know the kids involved. If there were not ways to cheat, problem solved. Until then, I think gyms being held accountable by their peers is the only way.

I'd say we even need to back up a step before an athlete registration system. We need the USASF to decide its scope of powers and to communicate it to all (to eliminate the endless finger pointing between the EPs and USASF.).

Once this vision is clear, gyms and Eps will have a better understanding of what becoming a member can offer.

Then we can initiate a robust athlete registration system (and I would guess parents would be more than willing to pay a bit more for a "first time" registration fee which covers the cost of starting up the database (with a reduced annual few for membership.)

Until I hear (read) that the USASF is going to make itself accountable, I would trust that even the best athlete registration system would mean anything.)

You hit the nail on the head. In the closed thread, SharkDad encouraged us all to become a member. I have no interest in doing so today - because unlike American Express, membership has no privileges. USASF needs to become a true governing body, and membership has to have benefits. Until rules are both implemented and enforced, and until there is a true BOD and membership voting privileges, I have zero confidence that any membership fee is going to help move this sport in the direction it needs to go. On the flip side, I would gladly pay upwards of $250 for each of my CPs to become members, with a renewal of up to $100/year, if it would mean the USASF would implement and enforce the rules they make, and appropriate hearings and sanctions would take place.

The most frustrating part is, this is not rocket science, nor is it an astronomical expense. I don't believe USASF isn't doing it because they can't......

I agree completely, but I think gyms being held accountable by other gyms is the only way right now. I don't trust EPs or the USASF to do it, so I want to be able to question it if needed. Gyms are usually the ones aware of cheating first, because they see them and know the kids involved. If there were not ways to cheat, problem solved. Until then, I think gyms being held accountable by their peers is the only way.
And gyms essentially are the ones who could control the bottom line, by not registering for comps that they believe to be unfair. But the USASF has to participate by sanctioning EPS for patterns of unfair behavior, and not allowing them to award bids etc. I'm envisioning a USASF rating for EPS's that is based on their track record, with a certain level having to be maintained in order to be able to award bids, classify "championship" titles etc.

Latest posts

Back