All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I probably should have thought of this before I regsistered my daughters with the USASF, but I'm definitely hoping that this is isn't a public data base, allowing unmonitord access to my girls' vitals.
A 3rd party is managing the database. Every secure precaution is being taken.
yojaehs: Yes, there will be consequences for those that absolutely refuse to register their athletes. They won't be allowed to compete. That seems like a huge shift in the way things currently are, but by the time it gets to that point, the environment truly will support it and anyone who still refuses will be so far outside the norm, I don't think many gyms will hold out to that extreme.
What do you mean by 'WHAT will be done?' Specifically, if an athlete is accused of cheating, I'll be able to reference that athletes official age and DOB. On the Event Producer level, we will do what we've always done when we discovered and can prove ineligible athletes--we disqualify the team. At this time, it's still an Event Producer responsibility. I don't know if there is a plan for that to become a USASF initiative or not. (Did I answer your question?)

Do you mean because the EP now has a tool to check allegations against, or ar you thinking that a USASF rep will have to be present to handle "enforcement" and adherence guidleines?

I probably should have thought of this before I regsistered my daughters with the USASF, but I'm definitely hoping that this is isn't a public data base, allowing unmonitord access to my girls' vitals.

I doubt it would be public, but I could be surprised. The more rules enforcement that goes to the USASF and less the responsibility of the EP the better. The EP's job is to make your experience as enjoyable and fun as possible! That is hard when you are handing our rules enforcement.

yojaehs: Yes, there will be consequences for those that absolutely refuse to register their athletes. They won't be allowed to compete. That seems like a huge shift in the way things currently are, but by the time it gets to that point, the environment truly will support it and anyone who still refuses will be so far outside the norm, I don't think many gyms will hold out to that extreme.
What do you mean by 'WHAT will be done?' Specifically, if an athlete is accused of cheating, I'll be able to reference that athletes official age and DOB. On the Event Producer level, we will do what we've always done when we discovered and can prove ineligible athletes--we disqualify the team. At this time, it's still an Event Producer responsibility. I don't know if there is a plan for that to become a USASF initiative or not. (Did I answer your question?)

Not necessarily directing all of my questions to you, ASCheerMan, but to anyone who may know an answer, and/or for general discussion.

I am happy steps are being taken to move us in the right direction.

What are the "next steps?" I get this can't happen overnight, and taking the year to get everyone registered is a great idea. But what is next?

Even with this, we still have the EPs responsible for carrying out punishment. It *should* come from the USASF (or other "neutral" party.)

And while having birth certificates in place is a great start, but it still leaves the cheaters easy ways around the system (hey, Athlete A, you are going to compete in Athlete Bs place, just say you are Athlete A.) A next step would be to have photo IDs tied with the birth certificates and verifying that the individual registered is the one competing. (Is there a penalty for last minute changes to who is registered vs. who competes?) And this still leaves the onus on other gyms to challenge an athlete. It doesn't prevent it from happening to begin with. And sadly, a penalty of $1000 for a small gym is probably enough incentive not to cheat, but to a larger gym it could be a budget item.

Yes, and thank you!

I think a HUGE next step would be the COMPLETE separation of usasf and varsity! Truly independent board and staff. Like no calling usasf and the phone being answered "varsity brands" Or seeing the usasf worlds broadcast being produced by varsity. At the very least it would take away the fox guarding the hen house perception.

I think a HUGE next step would be the COMPLETE separation of usasf and varsity! Truly independent board and staff. Like no calling usasf and the phone being answered "varsity brands" Or seeing the usasf worlds broadcast being produced by varsity. At the very least it would take away the fox guarding the hen house perception.
Small issue in the big picture. If rules are set for all to follow it won't matter what event you attend.

ASCheerMan are you posting all these athlete registration solution answers representing NCA or USASF?

Not necessarily directing all of my questions to you, ASCheerMan, but to anyone who may know an answer, and/or for general discussion.

And while having birth certificates in place is a great start, but it still leaves the cheaters easy ways around the system (hey, Athlete A, you are going to compete in Athlete Bs place, just say you are Athlete A.) A next step would be to have photo IDs tied with the birth certificates and verifying that the individual registered is the one competing..

Not totally sure why, but our gym took pictures of each athlete to go with what I thought was their USASF registration. Could be a gym thing I guess. But all the athletes took them...

I have always thought that the easiest way to make it difficult to cheat in Worlds divisions would be simple.

Take a group picture of each team (with each person clearly visible) right before they take the mat at each bid competition. Have someone make sure that the ones in the picture are the ones that take the mat. Put those pictures on the USASF site immediately after each competition where anyone can see them. Those pics can easily be used for reference later to compare rosters, check who was on the floor, check against membership picture, etc.

Would it eliminate cheating? Probably not. It would, however, make it much more difficult to get away with it.

I have always thought that the easiest way to make it difficult to cheat in Worlds divisions would be simple.

Take a group picture of each team (with each person clearly visible) right before they take the mat at each bid competition. Have someone make sure that the ones in the picture are the ones that take the mat. Put those pictures on the USASF site immediately after each competition where anyone can see them. Those pics can easily be used for reference later to compare rosters, check who was on the floor, check against membership picture, etc.

Would it eliminate cheating? Probably not. It would, however, make it much more difficult to get away with it.

I agree, but it has to be a USASF person taking the picture. I think it is a huge conflict of interest if an EP has to do it.

I agree, but it has to be a USASF person taking the picture. I think it is a huge conflict of interest if an EP has to do it.

That would be ideal, but anything would be better than the free-for-all that exists now. The key would be getting the picture up quickly and making them public. At least then, you actually have to put some effort in if you decide to cheat. As it is, coaches can pretty much write any name they want to on the roster list they turn in, whether it matches what is on the floor or not.

There have been multiple incidences where people have pretty blatantly cheated, but video from the bid event (or even Worlds) was too blurry or inconclusive to establish with certainty who the illegal athlete was.

For this past year at worlds did anyone actually check to see if profiles were filled in. I know I went in and filled in my info but didn't upload a birth certificate. I know im old so if im claiming to be 26 at worlds that shouldnt need to be verified.

But I just went and checked my BFs profile and it is blank other than his name and team. So he could have been 12 for all the usasf knows.

What is this system going to do if no one checks it.

Also what happens if you have multiple athlete numbers. I think king said he has 3 athlete numbers. What's to stop someone from creating another one with different info.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Why can't they just give everyone cards, similar to drivers licenses. They'll have you're picture, name, birth date, list of divisions you can compete in that season, ect. Than at the competition you show the cards just before you compete.

That would be ideal, but anything would be better than the free-for-all that exists now. The key would be getting the picture up quickly and making them public. At least then, you actually have to put some effort in if you decide to cheat. As it is, coaches can pretty much write any name they want to on the roster list they turn in, whether it matches what is on the floor or not.

There have been multiple incidences where people have pretty blatantly cheated, but video from the bid event (or even Worlds) was too blurry or inconclusive to establish with certainty who the illegal athlete was.

Taking photos is pointless unless you eliminate the substitution rule. I think the sub rule needs to be tightened as well.

Back