All-Star Major Multi-location Gyms Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I've seen, multiple locations in a metro area allow for people to practice / tumble closer to home, especially when they're starting out. No one in their right mind should be driving a Tiny long distance to practice. Once they get up to the Worlds levels, it's not uncommon for people to drive hours each way to practice.

I remember that alliance. There was one briefly in North Carolina as well. With so few true IEP's now I wonder how effective it would be now. JW.

Hmmmm.... At one point, one of the gyms hosted a competition. I could see this having a resurgence if gyms would offer to host competitions and could ensure decent numbers from other gyms.... I know there is a lot of talk of gyms trying to profit rather than some of these EPs, and this would fall into that. Interesting to see if we will head into this direction.

Hmmmm.... At one point, one of the gyms hosted a competition. I could see this having a resurgence if gyms would offer to host competitions and could ensure decent numbers from other gyms.... I know there is a lot of talk of gyms trying to profit rather than some of these EPs, and this would fall into that. Interesting to see if we will head into this direction.
I remember that too, in Sacramento, right? I forget who hosted it. But the all star alliance also hosted their own competition, Give Back in Sacramento. I think gyms are so focused on competitions that offer bids now though, whether worlds or summit.

I remember that too, in Sacramento, right? I forget who hosted it. But the all star alliance also hosted their own competition, Give Back in Sacramento. I think gyms are so focused on competitions that offer bids now though, whether worlds or summit.

Yes, POWER used to host a competition and it was great! Good competition, prize money and well run. We loved it, even if it probably killed them to give us the prize money. :)

We brought prom gowns the one year we went.

BlueCat or anyone with an idea, I'm curious about timelines for new locations. What do you think is an acceptable amount of time for a new location to build up an appropriate number of athletes? and on the flip side how many years would be too long and make it time to shut it down?

Our location is totally safe and fine. I'm not worried. I'm just generally curious. I would think some kids would come due to a name but like any new business it seems to me it would take time to build up to a "full load" of athletes so to speak.

Many smaller gyms are looking to do things like this in the upcoming year. They are not wrapped on a "win" or "avoiding competition" as it is commonly argued. They are simply looking at ways to control their costs, retain and attract more clients, and go back to cheer being more about fun and friendships than it is a "win or else you suck" type mentality that we seem to have now.

BlueCat or anyone with an idea, I'm curious about timelines for new locations. What do you think is an acceptable amount of time for a new location to build up an appropriate number of athletes? and on the flip side how many years would be too long and make it time to shut it down?

Our location is totally safe and fine. I'm not worried. I'm just generally curious. I would think some kids would come due to a name but like any new business it seems to me it would take time to build up to a "full load" of athletes so to speak.

In most ways, your "acceptable timeline" depends on your pool of money. At some point, the business has to be at least somewhat profitable in order for it to stay alive. What "full load" of athletes you need depends largely on your overhead. A relatively small gym with part-time coaches can thrive with a smaller amount of athletes than a large facility with more full-time coaches. That is not to say that money is the most important thing. However, run out of money - you can't pay rent/coaches/electric bill/etc. and you are out of business.

I think this is more driven by the parents and athletes than the gym owners - particularly Summit.

Agree. I think it is also because these select premium events are marketed around the gym owner and coach directly to the parents and athletes. So even if a gym owner has a different path or opinion, those parents and athletes are bombarded with how those events are the best, etc. Great marketing to be sure, but it is hard to say we wont go, when every parents in the gym gets emails, tweets and announcements about it.

Agree. I think it is also because these select premium events are marketed around the gym owner and coach directly to the parents and athletes. So even if a gym owner has a different path or opinion, those parents and athletes are bombarded with how those events are the best, etc. Great marketing to be sure, but it is hard to say we wont go, when every parents in the gym gets emails, tweets and announcements about it.

There is tremendous pressure from parents to go to more and more Varsity bid events. It has been genius marketing by Varsity. The event is certainly wildly profitable and their Event Producers are the gatekeepers.

There is tremendous pressure from parents to go to more and more Varsity bid events. It has been genius marketing by Varsity. The event is certainly wildly profitable and their Event Producers are the gatekeepers.

Exactly right. This year we have five national teams that were on Summit Bid paths. All of them received them by January. The issue? The two teams (one a prep team) that were not created to be Summit teams and they knew it at tryouts in May giving everyone headaches about not going and trying to get us to help them chase a bid down. Some even complaining the year is a waste because they did not get a bid. They did not get that mindset from the coaching staff...lol. Gotta love overhearing parent room convos.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Adding a facility would certainly add to your expenses. It would also add to your revenue. The hope would be that it adds more revenue than expenses and would represent a net gain.

Exactly. Gyms would hope that their expansions would provide a net gain.

But, are there gyms that open a new facility knowing that it will be more of a place to build athletes and less of a place to increase profits? For example, Gym A opens new facility in rural/impoverished area to attract athletes. Athletes need to be given lower payments/ scholarships in order to accommodate situations. But, athletes are grown to be level 5 and sent to main gym where they are expected to field Worlds team, which would bring more credibility to Gym A as they field many Worlds teams and potentially win more globes.

with the gyms that have multiple locations, i have to wonder of many world medals (top 3) came out of multiple locations. Cali is the only one i can think of currently. Or heck maybe even top 5, cause i usually would say its the "main" gym that houses the most worlds winning/placing team.

CEA for example has other locations outside of Kville and raleigh, but most of the worlds contenders only come from those two gyms. Or better example FAME, i only ever hear of fame super seniors...
again i might be completely confusing myself at this point.
It takes some time to grow a programme from scratch in a new area from level 1 to worlds level 5. In our programme, our 2 worlds teams come from our original or mothership location. Our next oldest location is home to junior 5 and third, restricted 5. Not all locations in a programme may be designed or set up to offer all levels, they may be feeder locations.

Back