All-Star Thoughts On Athletes Drinking 5 Hour Energy Drinks Before Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my senior year of high school a teammate chugged one before practice and ended up in an ambulance/the emergency room mid-practice with a serious heart problem.

Have I ever drank one? yes, but they have zero place in athletics. caffeine is a diuretic and dehydrates you - the opposite of what you should be doing.

The only thing I would ever drink other than water, is powerade(I think gatorade in the us??). Which I do regularly both @ practice, competitions and in everyday life, as I get really dehydrated and warm. I have a few people on my team who will drink energy drinks, but I just never see the point. I would not let my athletes drink energy drinks before prac as I wouldn't want to have that on my conscience if anything were to happen. I do anything I can to prevent injury, but each to their own I guess.

The only thing I would ever drink other than water, is powerade(I think gatorade in the us??). Which I do regularly both @ practice, competitions and in everyday life, as I get really dehydrated and warm. I have a few people on my team who will drink energy drinks, but I just never see the point. I would not let my athletes drink energy drinks before prac as I wouldn't want to have that on my conscience if anything were to happen. I do anything I can to prevent injury, but each to their own I guess.

We have Powerade here in the U.S. too :p It used to be so good in the late 90's/early 2000s but I think they've changed their recipe since. Or my taste buds changed. It's not as good as it used to be. I rarely drink sports drinks though so it's probably my taste buds.

5 hour energy is not as bad as the others because it's mostly B vitamins and doesn't have the high sugar content and caffeine/taurine like the other drinks do. I take vitamins every morning including B vitamins. I wouldn't recommend drinking a Red Bull ever, I definitely wouldn't drink one before a practice!

Side note, I wonder if anyone's taken pre-workout before a practice before? I've never tried pre-workout, but I have a bunch of gym rat friends that do before crossfit, P-90x, etc.

When I went to Woodward a few years back, I barely slept so the only thing getting me through the day was a red bull in the morning an hour before practice. But no matter how tired I was for practices besides camp, I never needed them
I hate the fact that Camp Woodward, PA has Red Bull as a camp sponsor and sells the product in their cafeteria/cantina. My granddaughter who was 13 at the time was able to buy them there - no questions asked. Not a good thing!

I hate the fact that Camp Woodward, PA has Red Bull as a camp sponsor and sells the product in their cafeteria/cantina. My granddaughter who was 13 at the time was able to buy them there - no questions asked. Not a good thing!
That is not okay.

I know a lot of boys who take pre workout supplements prior to training. They are 17 and over but I really wonder how much sugar/caffeine is in them because it makes some of them seriously hyperactive

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

IMO it works to an extent but its not good during practices because it only has a short term effect and, just like the things mentioned above, could be risky. Water is the better option OR gatorade because its not an energy drink since its aim is to replenish lost fluids and electrolytes lost during strenuous physical activity

I know a few athletes that drink energy drinks before practice, like Red Bull, 5 Hour Energy, etc. I personally don't think it's too bad, but just wondering what parents, coaches, and other athletes thought.

Honestly, it's not a great idea and the negative impact on the liver and kidney's in the long term is likely not often thought of by these athletes. I can understand wanting the extra energy, but there are healthier ways and would not allow either of my daughters to drink one of those drinks before any form of team practice for any sport at any time that I am still the responsible adult over them.

Cp will occasionally have an iced coffee before we leave the house for practice. During the school year she leaves the house before 7am and typically did not have practice until 7pm. That is a long day and a little caffeine boost before a practice doesn't hurt. I know dh and I will do that as well if we are working out in the late afternoon/early evening.

Not a fan of energy drinks for anyone, young or older. @Cheergrandma, the whole RedBull/Woodward culture always bothered me. Cp would tell me stories of girls drinking 2-3 in the evening and then keeping the cabin up all night. I have had the 5 hour energy drinks to perk myself up before a long drive home from a cheer competition late on a Sunday night, but that was more functional. Drinking coffee meant more rest stops which I wanted to avoid. Plus the 5Hour Energy shots are sugar free as opposed to some of the other full sized drinks.

There were two people in my cabin who drank 4 red bulls each then never went to any of the open gyms. They would then stay up all night texting.

Back