All-Star Thoughts On Athletes Drinking 5 Hour Energy Drinks Before Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

....So are we just deciding not to sleep properly anymore or what?
Don't do it, not worth it.

Lack of sleep, lack of exercise, prolonged time in front of artificial bright light, diets heavy in carbs and caffeine. We are the quintessential metabolic roller coaster nightmares of our time. I'm no doctor but, I would bet my last dime on this is the reason we have such high levels of depression and mental health issues in this country.

I know a few athletes that drink energy drinks before practice, like Red Bull, 5 Hour Energy, etc. I personally don't think it's too bad, but just wondering what parents, coaches, and other athletes thought.
None of them are good for anyone, let alone growing kids. Just my $0.02. They can lead to cardiac and kidney issues, especially when they're sweating their butts off at practice. The high caffeine content is a diruetic and can lead to dehydration faster, too. Not a good idea.

None of them are good for anyone, let alone growing kids. Just my $0.02. They can lead to cardiac and kidney issues, especially when they're sweating their butts off at practice. The high caffeine content is a diruetic and can lead to dehydration faster, too. Not a good idea.
I was drinking Monster like crazy to keep up with everything and I ended up with Kidney Stones. Not worth it.

....So are we just deciding not to sleep properly anymore or what?

Don't do it, not worth it.
It's very easy to say we (and especially the kids) should get more sleep, but unfortunately the reality is their schedules are just not conducive to getting the number of hours they need. I just heard something on the radio the other day about how teenagers' wake/sleep cycles are actually hormonally wired to be different than in childhood and adulthood - their sleep rhythms kick in later which is why many of them stay up later than most normally functioning humans regardless of what time they need to be up in the morning - and how starting a school day later in the high school years would actually be more beneficial to their learning. There were a few school districts I believe in NJ that are going to implement a 9am start time for their schools this upcoming school year to see if this does in fact make a difference.

It's very easy to say we (and especially the kids) should get more sleep, but unfortunately the reality is their schedules are just not conducive to getting the number of hours they need. I just heard something on the radio the other day about how teenagers' wake/sleep cycles are actually hormonally wired to be different than in childhood and adulthood - their sleep rhythms kick in later which is why many of them stay up later than most normally functioning humans regardless of what time they need to be up in the morning - and how starting a school day later in the high school years would actually be more beneficial to their learning. There were a few school districts I believe in NJ that are going to implement a 9am start time for their schools this upcoming school year to see if this does in fact make a difference.
I've seen similar articles/research about sleep patterns for teenagers. Cannot wait to see how the schools trying a different start time do with it.

**shall I release the hounds**

My daughter has to be on the bus at 0640 for school that starts at 0740. Yet elementary schools don't start til 0840. So older kids can't watch the younger and brig a girl, you know she doesn't just get up and go. There's the torture of picking out clothes l, hair styling and makeup...and eat breakfast. So she would be getting up at 0500 to get ready school. So I pay someone to pick them up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I've seen similar articles/research about sleep patterns for teenagers. Cannot wait to see how the schools trying a different start time do with it.

My daughter has to be on the bus at 0640 for school that starts at 0740. Yet elementary schools don't start til 0840. So older kids can't watch the younger and brig a girl, you know she doesn't just get up and go. There's the torture of picking out clothes l, hair styling and makeup...and eat breakfast. So she would be getting up at 0500 to get ready school. So I pay someone to pick them up.

I'd just be worried about mine actually getting up for school with a 9am start time if I had already left for work. I have to basically drag her out of bed at 6 to catch the bus a little before 7. I guess she would have to figure it out though!

I'd just be worried about mine actually getting up for school with a 9am start time if I had already left for work. I have to basically drag her out of bed at 6 to catch the bus a little before 7. I guess she would have to figure it out though!
My daughter is good about getting up and getting ready. The 8 year old is the anti-morning dude. LOL

I used to drink maybe half or a couple of sips of a 5-Hour Energy bottle before practice, but because I had to be up at 5:45 to catch the bus for school, and was always up late after practice doing homework.

I have never touched a Red Bull or Monster or anything, but I liked to think the 5 Hour Energy helped me get through practice sometimes.

Heart conditions aren't fun. I have one. I don't think energy drinks were the sole cause of it, but it didn't help. Thankfully it's nothing more serious than a benign irregular heart beat but I've pretty much sworn off energy drinks since diagnosis my senior year of college.

Wearing a heart monitor for an entire month was a blasttttt.

/threadjack/
When my school district was changing start times because we switched up the whole school system, they wanted HS to start earlier than it did. A group of students cited all the research on this and got them to put us at the 9 start time rather than the elementary schoolers. It was so nice to not have to go to bed at 9:30 to get the right amount of sleep, because that never actually happened. It's just too early for teens to go to bed. With 9:00 start time I could go to bed at 11 (around when I was going to bed before) and actually get enough sleep. I'm not sure if they've released any information about how it affected grades or test scores, but I was definitely way less miserable my junior and senior years, even though my junior year was my hardest... Though statistics wouldn't show that because I lost my 4.0 junior year (that's what calculus does to you...).

I've always been a morning person my whole life, I had to wake up at 5 am in high school and I didn't mind because I would rather that then get out of school at like 3 or later. I'm definitely abnormal though, I need at least 8-9 hours of sleep each night to function and I can probably count on my 2 hands the number of nights I've gotten less than 7 hours, even in high school. I managed to do that and get pretty much straight A's while playing travel soccer and doing cheer all 4 years.

We always end up with free Red Bull at my work. I tried the lime flavoured one, and it made my throat burn. The Refreshers from Starbucks (not the canned ones) are more pleasant tasting, and probably aren't quite as unhealthy.
I thought that only high proof liquor and ice-cold soda were supposed to burn. Another reason as to why I will never try an energy drink.

Back