All-Star Crazy Cheer Parent Stories--spill 'em!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who is letting cheerleaders make these types of decisions? It perplexes me greatly when I hear people saying that the cheerleaders are telling other cheerleaders what to wear, where to stand, etc (captain or not.) Is this typical for captains?

Full-disclosure: I have not had captains in quite some time, and even when I did, they certainly did not have the authority to bench anyone.

Picking out attire for game days and what uniform were the captains/seniors choice. My senior year was the year that the captains were more cohesive as the core 3 were on Varsity all four years, and were friends outside of cheer. We were also not dictators. We didn't wear uniforms to school because...some people struggled with the concepts of bathing.

So during football season we would have spirit fridays like the other girl sports teams, and during basketball we wore normal clothes with random days if it was a special game. Like for a rival game during basketball we wore black shirts and 2 gold chains (school's golden anniversary year, All Gold Everything was the song of the season) but it was decided the night before and we all pitched in to go to party city that night and get the cheap mardi gras necklaces. All approved by coach, and agreed on with the team. We would suggest wearing one uniform if we knew the fans were planning a blackout or something, and our coach normal ok'd it.

LMAO! Sad but true.

My fresh year we had 3 uniforms, one of which was a brand new white uniform. My junior year, when we had all three levels fresh, jv and Varsity, our coach divided the three unis amongst the program. Our basketball season was LONG as we made states- 3 games in a row, for almost two months. Those white uniforms went through the ringer and despite pleads for the uniforms to be washed weekly, some of those shells are ruined. They still wear them now but she had to buy new body liners because they were gross.

There was a mom one year when my sister was on a youth team who, one practice, was pounding on the glass and shouting down to the kids on the mat. She was screaming at my sister for being "disrespectful" because she got moved up in the routine taking the daughters spot. It was nuts. A grown woman screaming from an upstairs window while pounding on the glass at a 10 year old who had no control over the situation. Very crazy.

Also, if your child is an amazing cheerleader, but has C/Ds/Fs in school, I will probably call you crazy for pulling him/her out early during comp season all the time.

Related side note: It amazes me that people will ask if I can make grade exceptions for school cheer because their daughter has a 2.0 and can't try out.

Ma'am, if your child doesn't meet the HS cheer grade requirement (which is not super high to be honest) she needs to be cheering for Library Elite.

See also: I don't know if you have ever met someone who is convinced that their kid is going to get some amazing full-ride cheer scholarship but those folks are my favorite as well.

They don't really get that: 1. Full rides for cheer are like unicorns. 2. The schools with anything close to that caliber of scholarship program are some of the most difficult squads to make.

Also, if your child is an amazing cheerleader, but has C/Ds/Fs in school, I will probably call you crazy for pulling him/her out early during comp season all the time.

Related side note: It amazes me that people will ask if I can make grade exceptions for school cheer because their daughter has a 2.0 and can't try out.

Ma'am, if your child doesn't meet the HS cheer grade requirement (which is not super high to be honest) she needs to be cheering for Library Elite.
LMAO!!!!!

See also: I don't know if you have ever met someone who is convinced that their kid is going to get some amazing full-ride cheer scholarship but those folks are my favorite as well.

They don't really get that: 1. Full rides for cheer are like unicorns. 2. The schools with anything close to that caliber of scholarship program are some of the most difficult squads to make.

Omg... there is one SM in particular I've had multiple discussions with on the cheer scholarship thing over the past year. I feel like she thought I was lying or something...and now I think her daughter has missed application dates for more affordable options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My high school was a 3.5 to be able to cheer. That was for every progress report and report card. Needless to say they had a lot of girls sitting out many games because of grades. It was very silly because the GPA requirement for football and every other sport was a 2.0

My crazy cheer mom confession is that I'm currently obsessed with collecting Nike Pro's. Especially the older/harder to find prints. Bidding wars on eBay, the whole nine yards.

Buying older Nike Pro's in a size adult M if anyone is selling!

No shame in my game lol.

Lol we may have gone head to head on eBay a few times for some Nike Pros! And yes totally agree, no shame!

At my start of the season meeting, I always give parents a list of my credentials, certifications, and cheer accomplishments so they really understand their kids are in capable, knowledgable hands. (I coach HS and some freshman parents are super skeptical every year)

A few years ago, after going through all of this info in detail, I had a freshman parent stand up and says "I volunteered for my daughters Rec team for the last 4 years so I'm not sure why you're more qualified than me to be coaching her."

I should have realized then what an issue this parent would be for the next few years!

My high school was a 3.5 to be able to cheer. That was for every progress report and report card. Needless to say they had a lot of girls sitting out many games because of grades. It was very silly because the GPA requirement for football and every other sport was a 2.0
That's really odd. 2.8 or 3.0 sounds ideal to me.

Back