OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
I know a lot of women that could potentially be offended by that term.
That's the wrong context in which to interpret it though. It's a cat, and the mascot is used in a context that strongly implies that the word is being used to describe a cat.

I could, see for example, someone being offended by the CEA Raleigh Cougars (since the team is Open All-Girl 5), though I would still find that ridiculous.

That's the wrong context in which to interpret it though. It's a cat, and the mascot is used in a context that strongly implies that the word is being used to describe a cat.

I could, see for example, someone being offended by the CEA Raleigh Cougars (since the team is Open All-Girl 5), though I would still find that ridiculous.
I was kidding :rolleyes:

Sorry it's huge but I saw this on Facebook. Using ethnic groups as mascots is offensive because people will show up to games dressed like this and think it's ok because they're showing "team spirit".
12074765_10153660120774889_1724273771273154100_n.jpg

Last edited:

I think that is pretty cool. I like how FSU really tries hard to honor the Seminole tribe and their spirit. They show that the Seminoles are actual people with actual traditions and practices and history, not just a just a cartoon mascot for the school. I think if schools want to use tribes as mascots, they should use FSU's presentation of their mascot as an example.

I saw that Syracuse was mentioned in that article about changing it's name and I want to add in a paragraph from Syracuse's mascot history page that I thinks ties in with your article really well. (FYI - Before they were the Orange and the Orangemen, they were the Saltine Warriors.)

In 1978 members of a Native American student organization headed a protest against using the Saltine Warrior as an athletic mascot. Onondagan Chief Oren Lyons, a 1958 alumnus and former SU lacrosse star, explained that it's "all in the presentation...The thing that offended me when I was there was that guy running around like a nut. That's derogatory" (Daily Orange, March 23, 1976). The Saltine Warrior was subsequently "sidelined" and a contest for a successor ensued (Daily Orange, February 12, 1978)

How you present your school's tribal mascot is important; either you honor them and show them the utmost respect, like FSU does, or you don't and it's offensive.

That's beautiful! And you can see how much that reverence really strengthens school spirit.

Sorry it's huge but I saw this on Facebook. Using ethnic groups as mascots is offensive because people will show up to games dressed like this and think it's ok because they're showing "team spirit".
SMH.

ooohhmyyyygosh England no. This is not okay.

ETA: I wasn't trying to compare other mascots to Redskins/etc in my earlier post--but was rather just trying to demonstrate that if you try hard enough the entire world is "potentially offensive."

Although the Yachtsmen are my high school's biggest rival in hockey right now soooooo i'm not a fan.

Back