All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't doubt that thought has crossed her mind. Why else would you want to unleash the media on your daughter's former gym. I can guarantee that she single-handedly made it nearly impossible for another gym to want to take them in.

If anything, WE might have grounds for a defamation suit. All of these media outlets are reporting that this girl was kicked off the team for having curly hair, when even her parents have admitted publicly that she was kicked off for not wanting to style her hair in the required fashion. And WE said they were trying to compromise and make an exception, but the parents got heated so they were asked to leave the gym. Take a look at the WE Facebook page. They are already receiving negative ratings over this from people who have never even been in the gym.
And of course people will jump on the bandwagon because of their negative perception of cheer.

Part of me hopes that WE sues her, but the other part of me does not want this mess to drag out.

Kids have different color hair and different length and thickness hair... so I'm still struggling to see why straight or curly is such a big deal. I'm just talking in general now, not about the case in particular.

Nice high pony with bow facing forward and no fly-away hair is my favorite simple hair policy!

This is not a personal thing for us, my CP's hair could probably be styled/abused into any style. I'd just rather not have to worry about stuff like that. And I feel bad for those who have to damage their hair or pay money for wigs etc when it doesn't affect the score of the sport (?) they love!
I agree 100,000%...

@cheer25mom, My daughter dances now and during her last performance, she wore afro puffs and looked darn good doing her dance... She received a standing ovation from the crowd and everybody mentioned how good her hair looked flying about her head.. FREE!...
Was it a solo? If not, that would never fly anywhere we have ever been unless everyone else did it too. I don't know of any studio here that DOESNT require hair uniformity for group dances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to sew in one of these bad boys every dance competition for about seven years:
Teen-Original-Spiral-large-side1-510x600.jpg

If you dyed your hair, you had to buy a new hairpiece. If you cut you hair, you had better make it work. Thin hair? Get some hairspray and bobby pins. Thick or curly hair? Tie it in tight and bobby pin the crap out of the strings. No exceptions. And this was dance, not cheer--my dance teacher just liked how the uniform curls looked on everyone.
Yikes! Now that is an hideous site to behold and had I judge it, will take points away for the dreadful emsemble and/or overall effect of the performance...No way will I be seen out in public with that wig tack on my head...Nope! Jk

@cheer25mom, My daughter dances now and during her last performance, she wore afro puffs and looked darn good doing her dance... She received a standing ovation from the crowd and everybody mentioned how good her hair looked flying about her head.. FREE!...
Even playing flute you were forced to hide your hair. You couldn't just leave it long nod hanging out. It had to be under the hat, just like everyone else's

Yikes! Now that is an hideous site to behold and had I judge it, will take points away for the dreadful emsemble and/or overall effect of the performance...No way will I be seen out in public with that wig tack on my head...Nope! Jk

I thought I was cute....

205553_1005233010677_3537_n.jpg

(and yes, I am an absolutely hilarious shade of pale)

(this pic is from 2007 or 2006)

(help)

I am guessing this was for Gaelic dance? And everyone else was wearing these crazy heavy curls. ;)

@ cheer25mom, nope again you are wrong... Many of us, wore our hair out, some had afros, curly afros, I wore my hair in a shoulder length bob, etc... We were never told to push our hair under our hats...

I am guessing this was for Gaelic dance? And everyone else was wearing these crazy heavy curls. ;)

Clogging, streetfunk, and jazz. They actually weren't that heavy! It was just a ponytail extension thing that you had to sew into a bun. It looked adorable/hilarious on the little ones because it was the same size as their heads.

I would just like to remind everyone that the primary reason she was removed from the gym was for being a negative PITA.....
Carry on

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Aaaaaand now I'm thinking of pita bread. PITA bread... newest addition to the Fierceboard picnic?

@gofriars610 What's streetfunk? It sounds interesting.

And IDK if anyone else has picked up on this, but ItsOnlyCheer could be the mom. Makes sense, you know?

Was it a solo? If not, that would never fly anywhere we have ever been unless everyone else did it too. I don't know of any studio here that DOESNT require hair uniformity for group dances.

Actually, she was dancing in a small group of 5 girls... All the girls wore different hairstyles - either 1 high ponytails or 2 ponytails... Most of the audience members were captivated by how my daughter was swinging her ponytails during her solos in the dance piece...It fit the role she was playing in the dance too...

Back