All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I personally think that as a private organization, WE can tell you to do whatever they want with your hair. This is not a high school team or even a town rec league. Your option if you don't like it is to go elsewhere. I am sure there are plenty of TX gyms that will take her money and let her wear it curly. WE is certainly not obligated to do so!

While I do think she is a SM from hell, my heart hurts for the kid. I wouldn't want to straighten her hair either and frankly she shouldn't have to decide between ruining her hair and competing. I'm sure WE thinks they're right and I'm sure SM thinks she's right but for me, I'm definitely not on WE's side.

ETA: I don't take back what I originally said, but when presented with the full scope and facts, I stand with WE. I still wouldn't want to straighten her hair so I'd buy a hair piece so I didn't have to.

Last edited:
I actually appreciate mom sticking up for her daughter's natural hair. I have curly hair and I have thanked the powers that be many times during competition hair prep that cp does not have my hair. I probably would have left an activity if straight hair was a requirement. That being said, I find it impossible to believe that mom and/or WE could not come up with one acceptable alternative that her cp could use on comp days. At the end of the day, I feel bad for the kid because she is no longer doing something she loves.

I think that there is more to this than what is being reported. The coach said they tried to compromise with her and she was having none of it. That child's hair CAN be straightened the few times she has to for competition with minimal damage if proper product is used, or if she was that concerned a hairpiece could be used. I think mom just thought she was going to throw her weight around and get what she wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually appreciate mom sticking up for her daughter's natural hair. I have curly hair and I have thanked the powers that be many times during competition hair prep that cp does not have my hair. I probably would have left an activity if straight hair was a requirement. That being said, I find it impossible to believe that mom and/or WE could not come up with one acceptable alternative that her cp could use on comp days. At the end of the day, I feel bad for the kid because she is no longer doing something she loves.
My guess is that they had some alternatives, but the SM wanted none of them.

Last edited:
That child has wayy to much hair to make a fake ponytail possible. For those without coarse, or curly hair won't understand the issue at hand it is not feasible to straighten highly textured hair often without severely damaging it. The gym and the mother could have easily found ways to compromise and it sucks that this child loses out for a year simply due to something as silly as this.

While I do think she is a SM from hell, my heart hurts for the kid. I wouldn't want to straighten her hair either and frankly she shouldn't have to decide between ruining her hair and competing. I'm sure WE thinks they're right and I'm sure SM thinks she's right but for me, I'm definitely not on WE's side.
She definitely could have straightened it without ruining it if she used the right techniques and products. She could also have used a hairpiece. I don't see how WE is the bad guy here. Every kid in this sport is asked to do uniform hair and makeup. We all know this going in. We have a girl with hair that cult on our squad, and she straightens it every comp without a problem.

That child has wayy to much hair to make a fake ponytail possible. For those without coarse, or curly hair won't understand the issue at hand it is not feasible to straighten highly textured hair often without severely damaging it. The gym and the mother could have easily found ways to compromise and it sucks that this child loses out for a year simply due to something as silly as this.
No, not really. You can make a hairpiece work if you know what you are doing. There Re several different techniques for using them with hair like that including using some of the natural hair in the core of the pony, putting the hair up wet to minimize bulk, ect. It CAN be done, this mom just didn't want to go to the extra effort.

I'm black, and have VERY thick, curly hair. Trust me when I say that she could have definitely styled the hair without straightening or damaging it.

Wow... not saying WE did anything wrong. They have a policy for hair, but they did try to compromise with the mom.

But.....

Why is hair so important in cheer? Wouldn't just a high pony policy do, and then kids could have straight or curly hair coming out of the pony? Would that really affect the score? This is the kind of thing that I find a bit crazy about cheer. Oh and the pouf, sooooo grateful that we never had to do that, or a million curls or something like that. :confused:

I'm black, and have VERY thick, curly hair. Trust me when I say that she could have definitely styled the hair without straightening or damaging it.
I said that in the end of my post ...
"The gym and the mother could have easily found ways to compromise and it sucks that this child loses out for a year simply due to something as silly as this." Any type of direct heat can be damaging btw. Besides the child's natural hair wouldn't have stood out that much on stage, it would had been big and poofy most likely similar to that of her teammates anyway.

I said that in the end of my post ...
"The gym and the mother could have easily found ways to compromise and it sucks that this child loses out for a year simply due to something as silly as this." Any type of direct heat can be damaging btw.
Whoops! Didn't see that part.

Wow... not saying WE did anything wrong. They have a policy for hair, but they did try to compromise with the mom.

But.....

Why is hair so important in cheer? Wouldn't just a high pony policy do, and then kids could have straight or curly hair coming out of the pony? Would that really affect the score? This is the kind of thing that I find a bit crazy about cheer. Oh and the pouf, sooooo grateful that we never had to do that, or a million curls or something like that. :confused:
Remeber how TGLC girls used to do their hair? I would have died if I were a mom with a daughter on that team. Straight high ponytails are much easier to do.

b550112253e4135d1fd0041cf334fdf5.jpg
fdcd1b6290e51247b914b4f540ede87a.jpg

I wonder if this would have helped her, they seem to be fake hair in a pony already teased, saw this on Instagram a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back