All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

b550112253e4135d1fd0041cf334fdf5.jpg
fdcd1b6290e51247b914b4f540ede87a.jpg

I wonder if this would have helped her, they seem to be fake hair in a pony already teased, saw this on Instagram a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks awesome!

But I will still never understand why all-star hair has to be so big.

They look pretty neat, wonder what the cost is? Probably a lot [emoji30]

Is Varsity apart of it? :p

ETA: they do look spectacular - a lot better than what I could ever do. Thank god I aged out when I did because I could never do the hair or makeup expectated these days. I'm lucky if I can French braid my hair correctly on the first try. I don't ever wear make up so that would be a complete lost cause.

I think everyone is missing the point. A gym made a rule, whether you agree or disagree with it - you need to follow the rules.

I agree with you to a point. I would want to know when the gym made that rule. Did it just come up after parent had paid all comp fees or in some cases people pay for the whole season? I bring this up not because I feel you are wrong( I agree with gym setting the rules) but I feel timing matters. Hair --- I think there are many easy fixes including false hair that could be gone when the competition is done. But let's say my gym just decided the spray tanning was require.... well I have some huge issues with that for several reasons. If I knew that coming in or even if I didn't know but it was clearly presented in the gym material that would be one thing but if they just made that rule after my money has been shelled out, my kid knows the routine and the ability to switch gyms for the season is pretty much a no go then I'd be upset. So while I agree the gym may set a rule for the look setting it after families have committed and spent money, bought uniforms etc that look should be thought about.... as I said hair pretty easy to do a fix but things like spray tan hmmmmm I can see some room for a deeper discussion. This case seems like more is involved than just hair -- on both sides.

For those who haven't read the article-- WE did try to compromise:

"Kevin Tonner said he was ready to compromise with Fallaw in that meeting to keep her on the team.

".....said Tonner. "We were trying to make the exception. We were trying to find a compromise and a happy medium. And she wasn't willing to have a compromise. She was very defensive."
Fallaw said she wasn't going to compromise her daughter's natural beauty and talent."

I honestly don't think it matters what the hair looks like and skin. Look at Smoed, pretty sure all the girls in the team had different hair styles and are all different shapes and colors and they won worlds.

I was commenting to a post that made it sound like she thought it did. I know it won't make u lose

She definitely could have straightened it without ruining it if she used the right techniques and products. She could also have used a hairpiece. I don't see how WE is the bad guy here. Every kid in this sport is asked to do uniform hair and makeup. We all know this going in. We have a girl with hair that cult on our squad, and she straightens it every comp without a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because I'm admittedly white and have zero experience with natural hair---I'm genuinely curious how much money would be involved in straightening her hair; with the right products---for say 5 or 6 competitions in a season?

The Posh Pony hair piece, shown above, runs anywhere from $250-300. It seems like a really great product that would save lots of girls natural hair. I know some of the Cali Allstars and Cheer Extreme cheerleaders use them and love them. It seems like a lot of money, but if you look at like an investment and use it for more than one season it's not as bad.

I personally like the "glamour" that is part of all star cheer. These kids work so hard, the make up, hair and glitz is a bit of a reward for all of that. I know not everyone agrees, but my CP loves it and so do I.

Btw - this article is not about hair, it's about a first class Susie's Mom. Steer clear!!

Because I'm admittedly white and have zero experience with natural hair---I'm genuinely curious how much money would be involved in straightening her hair; with the right products---for say 5 or 6 competitions in a season?
I need to ask the girl on our team's mom what she spends. Her child's hair is very similar to the picture in the article, but not highlighted like hers is. I know she uses 2 products plus a finishing spray. I would say ballpark $50- 75 a season. I am pretty good with a wide range of hair so I help her straighten sometimes when I am not doing someone else and it really isn't a huge ordeal.

ETA, I just thought about it, but if mom is so concerned about damage from straightened hair why let the kid get the ombré bleach like that?

Last edited:
FYI, there are many places to get those hairpieces for much less. I just ordered one, and if it is good quality when I get it I will share.

I'm super interested in hearing what you found! My poor cp has very thin, fine hair. I'll admit it, I like the look of the bigger, fuller hair lol! Not that super crazy stuff, but several I've seen from posh pony look good. I have searched and searched and everything I've seen looks very fake. This is the first one I've seen that looks awesome!

I need to ask the girl on our team's mom what she spends. Her child's hair is very similar to the picture in the article, but not highlighted like hers is. I know she uses 2 products plus a finishing spray. I would say ballpark $50- 75 a season. I am pretty good with a wide range of hair so I help her straighten sometimes when I am not doing someone else and it really isn't a huge ordeal.

ETA, I just thought about it, but if mom is so concerned about damage from straightened hair why let the kid get the ombré bleach like that?

Thanks :) CP's hair is much like mine...dead straight so a $5 bottle of hairspray and some bobby pins are all the 'extras' we require.

I see from the article mom didn't know until a few weeks ago---I wonder if it was published in a book or something and she missed it or if the rule is new. I will say that I still don't see why hair is THIS big of a deal, but I'm totally on board with thinking there is more to this than just hair. If this is just hair and WE really did kick her off for just hair, I'd say then we need to stop pretending that this sport is athletic because that is too beauty pageant-ish for me.

Back