All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm super interested in hearing what you found! My poor cp has very thin, fine hair. I'll admit it, I like the look of the bigger, fuller hair lol! Not that super crazy stuff, but several I've seen from posh pony look good. I have searched and searched and everything I've seen looks very fake. This is the first one I've seen that looks awesome!
I ordered form cheerleader hairpieces and it is Definitely not as nice as posh pony, but was a fraction of the cost. I can do CP's hair but teasing it is a pain. I am going to see just how fake this one looks. I have seen some pictures that look pretty good so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had girls at our gym with hair just like that, even curlier. Did it take a long time and a lot of work to straighten it? Yes. It takes equally the amount of time to curl my daughter's dead straight hair into little tiny, tight ringlets. It comes with the territory of cheer. We always let my daughter's hair grow through the winter, kill it during comp time and then a big haircut after the last competition. It's what just what you have to do.

The most annoying line to me is "I felt like it would make my daughter feel like her hair isn't good enough because it's not like the other girls". Most girls don't have stick straight hair and to do a straight pony they have to straighten it. It's not that everyone else has stick straight hair and so she has to straighten it to be like them. The whole team (or a vast majority) is having to style/"change" their hair for competition day... She's not being singled out. It may take her longer than most but still the rest of the team is having to straighten theirs too.
Definitely a SM...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the national ABC News has picked up the story and their FB comments are quite divided and a bit entertaining...I wonder if WE thought it would become this big.

It comes with the territory of cheer. We always let my daughter's hair grow through the winter, kill it during comp time and then a big haircut after the last competition. It's what just what you have to do.

it shouldn't be "just what you have to do." you shouldn't have to destroy little girls' hair with heat and teasing so it's falling out when they're 10. I don't understand.

Do I think this is more SM than a hair issue? yes, probably. This was more than likely just the straw that broke the camel's back with this mom. but I'm still annoyed by the hair issue. it shouldn't be an issue.

So... does it actually affect the score if everyone has straight hair vs straight/curly hair mixed? Genuinly interested to know. Someone said SMOED has different styles hair, I did google for some pictures and sometimes it does seem that way.

For those who haven't read the article-- WE did try to compromise:

"Kevin Tonner said he was ready to compromise with Fallaw in that meeting to keep her on the team.

".....said Tonner. "We were trying to make the exception. We were trying to find a compromise and a happy medium. And she wasn't willing to have a compromise. She was very defensive."
Fallaw said she wasn't going to compromise her daughter's natural beauty and talent."
Sounds like a warped, euphemistic version of, "I wanted what I wanted, and threw a fit and quit when I didn't get it."

I wonder whether she'll make an account of here to defend herself.

ETA: You have to wonder if maybe the girl's spot got changed to something less favorable in her team's routine, and the mom decided that being passive aggressive about it by making a big deal over the hair would help her get her way. And then this happened (b/c the only thing that SMs love nearly as much as getting their way, is causing as much drama as possible while trying to get their way).

Straight (and even worse, wavy)-haired girls have to suffer a lot of heat and manipulation damage when they curl or tease their hair for comps. I think the SM is trying to spin this into a "cheer likes pretty, straight-haired blond girls, and they're being unfair because she doesn't fit that"...BS.

I wonder she's is so worried about her kid's hair getting damaged... was she that worried when she let her daughter get blonde highlights (if those are highlights)?

Last edited:
So... does it actually affect the score if everyone has straight hair vs straight/curly hair mixed? Genuinly interested to know. Someone said SMOED has different styles hair, I did google for some pictures and sometimes it does seem that way.

I don't think it affects the scores, it just looks better to have all the hair the same or close to it. But, I could be wrong.

it shouldn't be "just what you have to do." you shouldn't have to destroy little girls' hair with heat and teasing so it's falling out when they're 10. I don't understand.

Do I think this is more SM than a hair issue? yes, probably. This was more than likely just the straw that broke the camel's back with this mom. but I'm still annoyed by the hair issue. it shouldn't be an issue.

Well, maybe I exaggerated when I said kill her hair. Because I've never seen any of the girls' hair falling out or anything like that. At worst case scenario, it dries it a little or makes split ends. And it still isn't like you're doing it every day. With 8 or so competitions, some two day, maybe 15 times during the season.

Check out a comment that one dude (his screen name is Rafael Venegas) left about the mom:

"What a coincidence, I had a confrontation with this lady about 2 years ago at a 24 hour fitness gym. She thought she was the owner and could do whatever she wanted at the gym until she met me. This woman thinks that she can get away with anything with her bad attitude. Now she embarrassed herself and her daughter....good luck finding a new cheer gym. I have two daughters that cheer at Woodlands Elite and yes I have disagreed several times on the way things are ran, but in the end they make the rules and it is what you sing up for. My daughter's are in different teams and both teams require a specific hair style, make up and uniform. If this little girl has been cheering since 4 years old, then she should know how things are, stop crying and get a life (mom)."

So she's known for having an attitude.

Check out a comment that one dude (his screen name is Rafael Venegas) left about the mom:

"What a coincidence, I had a confrontation with this lady about 2 years ago at a 24 hour fitness gym. She thought she was the owner and could do whatever she wanted at the gym until she met me. This woman thinks that she can get away with anything with her bad attitude. Now she embarrassed herself and her daughter....good luck finding a new cheer gym. I have two daughters that cheer at Woodlands Elite and yes I have disagreed several times on the way things are ran, but in the end they make the rules and it is what you sing up for. My daughter's are in different teams and both teams require a specific hair style, make up and uniform. If this little girl has been cheering since 4 years old, then she should know how things are, stop crying and get a life (mom)."

So she's known for having an
We all said there was more to the story than simply the hair.

If a person is that worried about hair there are only about 20482304923 other activities out there that don't require a certain hairdo.

RELATED:

Back