All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cosmo online has picked up the story too.

We usually have to leave dinners and the pool early on the night before comps, to get CP into curlformers. The next morning we are up about 2 hours before the rest to complete the look. This was with a Mini calltime. It NEVER ONCE occured to me to complain or ask that my unicorn be exempt.

I am really salty about this story going national. I don't like selfish people.

Ugh... I'm quoting you but there are other similar stories... if this was our gym I would say something! Not throw a tantrum and pull my kid off the team but I would ask nicely if we are likely to score higher with curly hair and if it wouldn't be better to have the kids sleeping 2 hrs longer so that they can be more focused on the mat.

Still waiting for hair instructions here. Expecting just high pony but you never know! :eek:

We usually have to leave dinners and the pool early on the night before comps, to get CP into curlformers. The next morning we are up about 2 hours before the rest to complete the look. This was with a Mini calltime. It NEVER ONCE occured to me to complain or ask that my unicorn be exempt.

Right?! My CP is a tiny and has thin, fine, super straight hair, that is required to be curled for competitions.

It has never ONCE crossed my mind her gym is discriminating against her or her hair. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
FYI, there are many places to get those hairpieces for much less. I just ordered one, and if it is good quality when I get it I will share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Please do! My daughter hates it when I tease her pony because it "takes FOREVER to brush out". We do a high straight teased pony (no poof).

When we had a Tiny calltime, I swear our hair changed every single competition to make it more complicated, more complicated, more complicated---didn't help that a mom started dictating it, but I kept telling her "You know how much earlier we have to get up now right?" For some odd reason, the more complicated their hair the higher they placed---I swear this mom thought she had unlocked some sort of cheer secret code!

For a few years we did half up half down curled hair. My mom and I had an old curling iron we used, wands were just popping up when we had to do this. It took 2.5 to 3 hours to curl my hair. I have extremely think and semi long hair. The curling iron was old and we had to hold it on my hair for like a whole minute per curl at least to get it to curl right and had to put in a ridiculous amount of hairspray in order for the hair to stay fully curled all day and through warm ups and 2 performances (I was a crossover). I couldn't curl my own hair even as a teenager. We tried curlers but they just gave my hair super awkward curls. My junior year we switched to straight hair which only took about half an hour and I could do it myself. Senior year we did curled pony tail which took about an hour and 15 minutes. I'm sure this mother could've straightened her hair in the same amount of time it took me to get my hair curled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh... I'm quoting you but there are other similar stories... if this was our gym I would say something! Not throw a tantrum and pull my kid off the team but I would ask nicely if we are likely to score higher with curly hair and if it wouldn't be better to have the kids sleeping 2 hrs longer so that they can be more focused on the mat.

Still waiting for hair instructions here. Expecting just high pony but you never know! :eek:

I could not ever imagine saying something in this situation!! I don't feel it's my place to question the coaches or gym owner about how the hair is to be done, how the make up is to be done, how the uniform is to be worn...it's my job to make sure my CP follows the rules and is ready to compete. After 6 years in the world of All-star cheer, the only time I ever speak to the coaches is if my kiddo is sick or hurt and they need to know...otherwise I let them do the job I pay them to do...and I do mine...which is support my CP and do as I am told!!!

I could not ever imagine saying something in this situation!! I don't feel it's my place to question the coaches or gym owner about how the hair is to be done, how the make up is to be done, how the uniform is to be worn...it's my job to make sure my CP follows the rules and is ready to compete. After 6 years in the world of All-star cheer, the only time I ever speak to the coaches is if my kiddo is sick or hurt and they need to know...otherwise I let them do the job I pay them to do...and I do mine...which is support my CP and do as I am told!!!

:shimmy:

I've refrained from commenting on this because I think it's so dumb but now that it's on Cosmo I have to. I have VERY thick and curly hair, somewhat similar to the girls. Not once have I ever questioned a coach when they asked my to do a certain hairstyle for comp. Even "curled" hair was a struggle for me because ringlet curls are much different than natural curls. This mom is absolutely ridiculous and the definition of entitlement. She's setting an awful example for her child, throwing a fit isn't a way to get what you want. Cheer is a uniform sport and if ya don't like it, then don't complain and get out lol

When we had a Tiny calltime, I swear our hair changed every single competition to make it more complicated, more complicated, more complicated---didn't help that a mom started dictating it, but I kept telling her "You know how much earlier we have to get up now right?" For some odd reason, the more complicated their hair the higher they placed---I swear this mom thought she had unlocked some sort of cheer secret code!
We had a team that I swear had a "pouf" curse. High straight pony = WIN. Poof - not a win. EVERY time. And yes, you know we're all superstitious to an extent. LOL

Those of you who do complicated hair without thinking of complaining, I do admire you!

I think I would still ask the question, very friendly, just once. Then if I got told looks are more important than sleep, I would comply.

My personal opinion is still that it's crazy. :cool:

My precious unicorn's hair is waist-length, naturally curly, and she has a ton of it. Her hair is not easy to straighten, and believe it or not, because it's baby-fine, it's very hard to curl! Last year, we would spend 45 minutes flat-ironing her hair, then another 2-3 hours rolling her hair in foam curlers, and then we had to wait at least 12 hours for her hair to fully dry in the curlers because of the product needed to create and hold the required look. This year, we get to use a wand, which will shave off at least an hour and a half of curling time, but we'll still need to flat iron her hair first. It's not easy, and it's definitely not fun. It is, however, entirely possible to do without causing a lot of damage. (Teasing for the poof caused more breakage than any of the damage caused by heat styling, btw.)

Frankly, I can't stand the sense of entitlement and ridiculous self-righteous indignation this mother has shared with an entire country. Furthermore, I can't stand that she's effectively teaching her young, impressionable daughter that she doesn't have to follow the rules, because it is expected that everyone else should make an exception just for her! (Not to mention that she's failing to educate her daughter on how to be a part of something bigger than herself!) But, with that said, the beautiful thing about all of this is that she doesn't have to compromise her daughter's power curls by conforming to the gym's rules - she can leave and take her lousy attitude with her.

Who's Felicia? You. Bye!

Thank you. I don't think enough parents think like that.

My precious unicorn's hair is waist-length, naturally curly, and she has a ton of it. Her hair is not easy to straighten, and believe it or not, because it's baby-fine, it's very hard to curl! Last year, we would spend 45 minutes flat-ironing her hair, then another 2-3 hours rolling her hair in foam curlers, and then we had to wait at least 12 hours for her hair to fully dry in the curlers because of the product needed to create and hold the required look. This year, we get to use a wand, which will shave off at least an hour and a half of curling time, but we'll still need to flat iron her hair first. It's not easy, and it's definitely not fun. It is, however, entirely possible to do without causing a lot of damage. (Teasing for the poof caused more breakage than any of the damage caused by heat styling, btw.)

Frankly, I can't stand the sense of entitlement and ridiculous self-righteous indignation this mother has shared with an entire country. Furthermore, I can't stand that she's effectively teaching her young, impressionable daughter that she doesn't have to follow the rules, because it is expected that everyone else should make an exception just for her! (Not to mention that she's failing to educate her daughter on how to be a part of something bigger than herself!) But, with that said, the beautiful thing about all of this is that she doesn't have to compromise her daughter's power curls by conforming to the gym's rules - she can leave and take her lousy attitude with her.

Who's Felicia? You. Bye!

FWIW, we've finally found a trick that works pretty well with CP's hair. It's very much like your CP's - waist length, curly, lots of it, not coarse. We use hot rollers the night before and that smooths the hair but makes it easier to curl than if we actually straighten it first. On comp days we then just have to tease and curl the pony. Also, we do all the teasing first and just curl the ends. So. Much. Faster!

For a few years we did half up half down curled hair. My mom and I had an old curling iron we used, wands were just popping up when we had to do this. It took 2.5 to 3 hours to curl my hair. I have extremely think and semi long hair. The curling iron was old and we had to hold it on my hair for like a whole minute per curl at least to get it to curl right and had to put in a ridiculous amount of hairspray in order for the hair to stay fully curled all day and through warm ups and 2 performances (I was a crossover). I couldn't curl my own hair even as a teenager. We tried curlers but they just gave my hair super awkward curls. My junior year we switched to straight hair which only took about half an hour and I could do it myself. Senior year we did curled pony tail which took about an hour and 15 minutes. I'm sure this mother could've straightened her hair in the same amount of time it took me to get my hair curled...

When I did rec cheer, we had to do those super tight curls and it would take 3-4 hours of me sitting the night before so my mom and sister could tag team my hair with the perm rods. I have naturally thick hair and I've always worn it long; by the end of it, I'd be wearing anywhere from 200-250 of those things in my head. I was so thankful dance just required a bun!

We had a team that I swear had a "pouf" curse. High straight pony = WIN. Poof - not a win. EVERY time. And yes, you know we're all superstitious to an extent. LOL

Since the pouf is such a PITA for some to master, I wonder if there was any correlation to the time they needed to start getting ready and whether they won or not.

Last edited:

This is my thoughts too; I have 3 very simple requests:

1. How much do you want and when do you want it? Which payment method do you prefer?
2. What do you want her to look like and is there specific make-up set to buy or can I go to Target?
3. Where do you want her and at what time?

Outside of those three simple things, it takes a lot for me to say something unless she's sick, it's going to directly impact her physical safety (never had to do this one) or is affecting her emotional/mental well beings (Tiny drama /sigh). Anything else and it's not my business.

Back