All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Remember that creativity comes from a box. Limits are what free minds to explore their defined space. So I just don't see hard lining rules limiting creativity. Because in reality there is an asymptote of skills as is. Applying and thinking about what you can do within the limits in new ways is where the creativity is.
I do suppose that's true. However defined spaces are easier to play around in when they're squishy :D. I don't know if you've crashed into a brick wall, but it's a lot less fun than crashing into my super-squishy sofa. Trust me. My right side found that out the hard way lol

Truthfully, though, I do appreciate this dialogue. Much more interesting than what I get from my real job lol.

I vaguely remember us having a similar discussion (I remember you using your speed-limit analogy :D). I think it was in a conversation F!ERCE started about the grey area of rules. I remember it being particularly interesting, because I feel like it comes down to two ideas on how to keep our athletes safe without sacrificing creativity and innovation. When I think of that, I think of the Toe Touch-Up done by Brandon or the Flying Squirrel Prone Catches done by TG.

I don't think anyone should be above the rules, by the way. I do think some are intended to box us up all cookie cutter and nice, though. And not in a good way.
The Brandon Toe Touch stunt was videoed and explained so there was no "grey area" for competition but many grey areas in the creation :D Just for the record and I'm totally just picking with ya Miss Great! Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

The Brandon Toe Touch stunt was videoed and explained so there was no "grey area" for competition but many grey areas in the creation :D Just for the record and I'm totally just picking with ya Miss Great! Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled thread!
If you want to be fancy, I'd considered that the 'grey area' would be in the 'Well if they throw just a SLIGHTLY bit too high then it's no good'. :p I just remember the stunts we discussed in the various 'Is this legal?' threads throughout the years. Not bothered in the slightest :D I have cheesecake tonight!

If you want to be fancy, I'd considered that the 'grey area' would be in the 'Well if they throw just a SLIGHTLY bit too high then it's no good'. :p I just remember the stunts we discussed in the various 'Is this legal?' threads throughout the years. Not bothered in the slightest :D I have cheesecake tonight!
Ahh cheesecake! Cures all!

This is how I would cheat if I were a cheater (for this season only--the variables would change each year of course):
1. I'd make the only sr aged girl on my sr level 1, jr aged so they could compete jr 1 instead.
2. I'd cross over all my best athletes from sr 4 to jr 2 (since most of them are jr aged) and sandbag the heck out of that team. (technically not a cheat but still completely ruthless).
3. And I'd have all my miniature sized girls that are on their appropriate age teams (youth, jr and even a sr!) compete with the minis--yes I have a sr that looks like a freaking mini.

That's how I'd do it. But I don't. Because I respect my competitors, I respect the kids and their parents, I respect the EP's, and although I don't always like the USASF, I respect what it stands for. And I respect myself. I couldn't sleep at night or look at myself in the mirror or look my colleagues and customers in the eye, if I did something I knew to be wrong.

My name is Andrea McBride. I have been coaching cheer for over 15 years.
And I am not, and never will be, a cheater.

This is how I would cheat if I were a cheater (for this season only--the variables would change each year of course):
1. I'd make the only sr aged girl on my sr level 1, jr aged so they could compete jr 1 instead.
2. I'd cross over all my best athletes from sr 4 to jr 2 (since most of them are jr aged) and sandbag the heck out of that team. (technically not a cheat but still completely ruthless).
3. And I'd have all my miniature sized girls that are on their appropriate age teams (youth, jr and even a sr!) compete with the minis--yes I have a sr that looks like a freaking mini.

That's how I'd do it. But I don't. Because I respect my competitors, I respect the kids and their parents, I respect the EP's, and although I don't always like the USASF, I respect what it stands for. And I respect myself. I couldn't sleep at night or look at myself in the mirror or look my colleagues and customers in the eye, if I did something I knew to be wrong.

My name is Andrea McBride. I have been coaching cheer for over 15 years.
And I am not, and never will be, a cheater.

Umm what state am I moving to..cause I want my girls on your team! (for the not a cheater part, though your methods do much respect to the madness that are cheer rules)

I hope that you know that my efforts are entirely to help the USASF and affiliated EPs/gyms/coaches understand that there is another perspective. The parents and fans are critical, not only to the growth but, to the very survival of this sport. And they so often get overlooked in the workings and plans.

I would love to see no less than two parents or former parents that do not coach, have an ownership interest in a cheer related business (choreographer, uniforms, clinics, camps, ect.) or works for an event producer on the USASF board.

This would give the board a fresh perspective on the things that are important to parents like safety, making sure that the coaches are safe and certified, fairness and the escalating costs of all star cheer just to name a few.

Umm what state am I moving to..cause I want my girls on your team! (for the not a cheater part, though your methods do much respect to the madness that are cheer rules)

Ashley is correct. I'm from Louisiana. Thank you for that ^. I've been told that if I want to make a name for my program I'm going to have to step on some people to do it. I don't buy into that. I look at great programs that I truly believe are doing the right thing and I know great programs are built on solid foundations of hard work and professional consistency. But even if it is true, then I'm perfectly content remaining a "no name" gym. So be it.

Ashley is correct. I'm from Louisiana. Thank you for that ^. I've been told that if I want to make a name for my program I'm going to have to step on some people to do it. I don't buy into that. I look at great programs that I truly believe are doing the right thing and I know great programs are built on solid foundations of hard work and professional consistency. But even if it is true, then I'm perfectly content remaining a "no name" gym. So be it.

Please be safe and don't make a name for your program by riding out Isaac if they say evacuate. (all joking aside I am a bit worried for the area)

Please be safe and don't make a name for your program by riding out Isaac if they say evacuate. (all joking aside I am a bit worried for the area)

Thanks King. I am a little bit worried myself. We are already getting about 30 mph wind gusts and it's not supposed to hit here until tonight. We are staying put but we are prepared.....still nervous though. These things are always scary.

Thanks King. I am a little bit worried myself. We are already getting about 30 mph wind gusts and it's not supposed to hit here until tonight. We are staying put but we are prepared.....still nervous though. These things are always scary.
Keep us posted if you can!

Keep us posted if you can!
I'm definitely going to be hanging out on here as long as I have phone service. I'll keep you all updated! It's pretty boring before and after the storm while everyone's just holed up. Waiting and watching. It's like waiting for Armageddon!

Back