OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
Very true. It kind of reminds me of the Confederate flag debate; taking down the Confederate flag everywhere isn't going to stop racism. And banning the use of 'Redskins' as a mascot won't suddenly alleviate all of the problems faced by the NA community.
What constantly bothers me about this confederate flag, BS! When I comment why no one ever ask a Jewish person about that swastika flag and why you do not see them flying freely on government buildings, it seems like I never get a response! No one seems to say anything about this and make comments like that swastika flags is not going bring back the Holocaust ...Okay, you know let's hang up both a swastika and a confederate flag on our government buildings, if we want to support these symbols equally...It is not that swastika flag will bring back the Holocaust nor the confederate will bring back or stop racism or lynching... So put them both up, let's not leave any hated symbols out.

Just like the swastika for the Jewish people and that confederate flag represents hatred and lynching that occurred in our country...So, I strongly believe we need to take down those hatred symbols and our government, not show support for these ideas...

Additionally, I hate the idea that my daughter and son are living and paying taxes to a country that see nothing wrong with supporting these symbols, PERIOD!

What constantly bothers me about this confederate flag, BS! When I comment why no one ever ask a Jewish person about that swastika flag and why you do not see them flying freely on government buildings, it seems like I never get a response! No one seems to say anything about this and make comments like that swastika flags is not going bring back the Holocaust ...Okay, you know let's hang up both a swastika and a confederate flag on our government buildings, if we want to support these symbols equally...It is not that swastika flag will bring back the Holocaust nor the confederate will bring back or stop racism or lynching... So put them both up, let's not leave any hated symbols out.

Just like the swastika for the Jewish people and that confederate flag represents hatred and lynching that occurred in our country...So, I strongly believe we need to take down those hatred symbols and our government, not show support for these ideas...

Additionally, I hate the idea that my daughter and son are living and paying taxes to a country that see nothing wrong with supporting these symbols, PERIOD!

I agree with you that flying those flags on government buildings are in poor taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. But if wear want to wear them or fly them on their private property, then fine. It just lets the rest of us know what they stand for.

I agree. But if wear want to wear them or fly them on their private property, then fine. It just lets the rest of us know what they stand for.
Yes, I really do not care what a person fly or what idols they worship on their own property or on their persons...But what I and most people who object to the confederate flag being flown, it was primarily the placements of these relics on government property that with my tax dollars, I am actually supporting this symbol and ideas that this flag represents... You know what? I will even yell and screamed, if a swastika was placed on government buildings too, because I feel sympathetic towards any kind of hate.

Bit late to the party, but I personally don't agree with the use of Redskins. It's a name that has been used pejoratively and as a racial slur in the past, and I just don't think it should be the name of sports teams. But that's just me – I can definitely see how people can see this ban as political correctness gone wrong.

I'm part Irish, and wouldn't want to see a team called the Micks or the Paddys. I'm also part Australian, and wouldn't want to see teams called the Bogans or the Convicts. I personally prefer sports to stay away from racial stereotypes where possible...

ETA: actually, scratch that, Convicts or Bogans would be pretty hilarious names for Aussie teams.

Last edited:
I'm actually a small percentage Irish. It's my dad's side.

**I promise I don't eat kids**

I want to do 23andMe to find out more about my genetic history--but I'm a little spooked out that they tell you who your relatives may be. My dad was adopted as a newborn from a decently small town in Maine and I'm lowkey a little bit worried that "hey here's a boy you had a crush on for YEARS!" is going to appear as a direct relative or something.

I want to do 23andMe to find out more about my genetic history--but I'm a little spooked out that they tell you who your relatives may be. My dad was adopted as a newborn from a decently small town in Maine and I'm lowkey a little bit worried that "hey here's a boy you had a crush on for YEARS!" is going to appear as a direct relative or something.
LMAO!

I actually don't care if the WA Redskins keep the name or not but, I do think it should be decided by the Native Americans and not a bunch of outsiders, lawyers or a small group of activists. I guess why I'm so passionate about this is, there is artwork that is being removed because of its religious content or symbolism and whether or not you agree with that religion or symbolism it's opening up the abyss. There are gargoyles, angels, Buddha's, etc. in architecture, ceiling paintings, stain glass and sculptures in government owned buildings and parks and they represent the style, art or there is a historical reason it was put up at the time.

"Cause chasing" is the new "ambulance chasing" because it is harder with HIPAA and the loss of LAN lines to contact people. These lawyers seek small groups willing to give them large sums of money to take things down in the name of the constitution and it gives small groups power and the lawyers power and money. Meanwhile, we are losing artwork and history. Removing all things religious does not remove religion from our decision makers and population, it is just taking down art and history.:(

I actually don't care if the WA Redskins keep the name or not but, I do think it should be decided by the Native Americans and not a bunch of outsiders, lawyers or a small group of activists. I guess why I'm so passionate about this is, there is artwork that is being removed because of its religious content or symbolism and whether or not you agree with that religion or symbolism it's opening up the abyss. There are gargoyles, angels, Buddha's, etc. in architecture, ceiling paintings, stain glass and sculptures in government owned buildings and parks and they represent the style, art or there is a historical reason it was put up at the time.

"Cause chasing" is the new "ambulance chasing" because it is harder with HIPAA and the loss of LAN lines to contact people. These lawyers seek small groups willing to give them large sums of money to take things down in the name of the constitution and it gives small groups power and the lawyers power and money. Meanwhile, we are losing artwork and history. Removing all things religious does not remove religion from our decision makers and population, it is just taking down art and history.:(
Really interesting perspective, I've never considered this.

Really interesting perspective, I've never considered this.

It's actually a war strategy. America is/was powerful because of its money and resources. How do you remove power? You remove their resources. Other countries recognize America protects itself by policing around the World so, they invade a small territory, America comes in and spends billions. You do this enough times, you will remove the money from the government. How do you remove money from the individuals of the Country? You target those things they are passionate about by forming small groups and finding a weakness in their constitution. What individuals have the most money in the US? Christians. If they start removing enough Christian symbols, Christians will start spending money to protect them or retaliate by taking down other religious symbols. Either way, it is a lose-lose situation for our arts, religions and our Country.

Yes, I really do not care what a person fly or what idols they worship on their own property or on their persons...But what I and most people who object to the confederate flag being flown, it was primarily the placements of these relics on government property that with my tax dollars, I am actually supporting this symbol and ideas that this flag represents... You know what? I will even yell and screamed, if a swastika was placed on government buildings too, because I feel sympathetic towards any kind of hate.

Full disclaimer:
I am sharing the arguments for the display of these symbols. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all of this.

The problem with that thinking is that, in both cases, people are projecting meaning onto symbols that didn't originally carry it. The swastika was not originally a symbol of hate. It stood for centuries before Hitler used it a symbol of unity and eternity. The Confederate flag wasn't about racism and hate when it was originally used, and the Civil War is much more complicated than that despite what many historians want us to believe now. Most soldiers who fought definitely didn't fight to preserve slavery. They fought to preserve their state's right to self determination under the constitution. When it was added to government buildings after the war, it was there to honor men who fought and died for their state's right to self determination. The vast majority of them didn't own slaves and didn't care to continue slavery. They were fighting to keep the federal government from overstepping its power.

People projected meaning onto these symbols after the fact based on their own experience, and we have forgotten their origins. The Confederate flag still means a lot to people who had ancestors who died fighting in the civil war. To them it doesn't stand for racism, but for those who fought and died for something they viewed as unjust and unconstitutional. THIS is why display of the flag is such a hotly debated topic in the South. very few who support it s display do so for racist reasons. They look at it as preserving the heritage of those who fought and died for a just cause.

We just lost our mascot, the "Redskins"... I was an alumni at the school I Head coach/advise for. We had been the Redskins since 1918. All school spirit items purchased for our school was purchased through local tribes. Anything even remotely in connection with Native American culture to our school would only be displayed or depicted with approval of local tribes. When introduced into our school as a freshman a two week lesson was given specifically on educating students on Native American culture.. Specifically the origination of the term "Redskin" and how the name and or term was now to be treated as a tribute. We have multiple visits from local tribes a year... 1. To keep in connection with the spirit and respect their culture 2. To ensure that we comply with their wishes and standards... That they are accurately and respectfully represented. 3. To continue the education and communication
We lost the mascot. It will cost out school more than a million to make necessary changes. Funds that will be taken from education. Our social media sites are harassed daily... Even though we have agreed to comply with the change . We are harassed by activists calling random students racists while cursing. We had a cheer video where the girls were simply dancing on you tube that had to be taken down due to activists calling the girls names and when asked to let us transition to a new name in peace activists continued to threaten students... All of this...simply because of the mascot name that they were offended by (mind you, these individuals were not Native American) however the kids were not chanting or wearing anything with term.
We have slowly removed Redskins from cheers... This year, it's not on our main uniforms.
It is my personal belief that Everyone has the right to be offended... The right to a strong opinion in opposition of something... However, at what point do we stop and say rather than continue to just be angry and offended and decided to "take away" or abolish, hide a word away... Why not show the world we have the power to change the meaning of it?! Perhaps the issue isn't the WORD itself... Or the problem... But the way everyone is handling it. I know the school is resolving to make the change... But that doesn't mean the change stops there. One can argue all day long about what side is right or wrong... what should or should not be done... But there's a few unarguable FACTS that have simply been dismissed and are quite often overlooked in maters like these: keep taking things away, we will not have much... Keep getting angry, Nobody will be happy... Keep fighting needless battles, nothing will be left.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't feel the real loss is the mascot here. It's the ability to look beyond a word and a name. We Live in a world that must have multi tonal emojis now so as to not anger anyone!? Why couldn't we just keep the day Glo orange one - NOBODY is Neon orange?!

We just lost our mascot, the "Redskins"... I was an alumni at the school I Head coach/advise for. We had been the Redskins since 1918. All school spirit items purchased for our school was purchased through local tribes. Anything even remotely in connection with Native American culture to our school would only be displayed or depicted with approval of local tribes. When introduced into our school as a freshman a two week lesson was given specifically on educating students on Native American culture.. Specifically the origination of the term "Redskin" and how the name and or term was now to be treated as a tribute. We have multiple visits from local tribes a year... 1. To keep in connection with the spirit and respect their culture 2. To ensure that we comply with their wishes and standards... That they are accurately and respectfully represented. 3. To continue the education and communication
We lost the mascot. It will cost out school more than a million to make necessary changes. Funds that will be taken from education. Our social media sites are harassed daily... Even though we have agreed to comply with the change . We are harassed by activists calling random students racists while cursing. We had a cheer video where the girls were simply dancing on you tube that had to be taken down due to activists calling the girls names and when asked to let us transition to a new name in peace activists continued to threaten students... All of this...simply because of the mascot name that they were offended by (mind you, these individuals were not Native American) however the kids were not chanting or wearing anything with term.
We have slowly removed Redskins from cheers... This year, it's not on our main uniforms.
It is my personal belief that Everyone has the right to be offended... The right to a strong opinion in opposition of something... However, at what point do we stop and say rather than continue to just be angry and offended and decided to "take away" or abolish, hide a word away... Why not show the world we have the power to change the meaning of it?! Perhaps the issue isn't the WORD itself... Or the problem... But the way everyone is handling it. I know the school is resolving to make the change... But that doesn't mean the change stops there. One can argue all day long about what side is right or wrong... what should or should not be done... But there's a few unarguable FACTS that have simply been dismissed and are quite often overlooked in maters like these: keep taking things away, we will not have much... Keep getting angry, Nobody will be happy... Keep fighting needless battles, nothing will be left.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't feel the real loss is the mascot here. It's the ability to look beyond a word and a name. We Live in a world that must have multi tonal emojis now so as to not anger anyone!? Why couldn't we just keep the day Glo orange one - NOBODY is Neon orange?!

I am so sorry for what your school is going through.

That's sad. :( You guys were doing everything respectfully.

So much yes to this. People who just jump to conclusions with no research because it sounds like the PC thing to do and they want to be relevant are the root of much of our current social issues. The way this thread was started is a prime example. So much hype can be centered around specific events that people outside of that event know nothing about but choose to pour gas on it, light a match, and then walk away when the damage is done.

Back