OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
We also get the doctors, lawyers, and nurses too
But why do they have to be all sexy lol. I see NA costumes all sexy. And I'm like dang I was I could look all sexy in my dress.

**She would merengue and do the cha-cha**

But why do they have to be all sexy lol. I see NA costumes all sexy. And I'm like dang I was I could look all sexy in my dress.

**She would merengue and do the cha-cha**

Well if we go by the rules of Mean Girl's, the entire point of Halloween is so girl's can dress like sl*ts of course ;p
I remember watching a 'Really B Really' (Kingsley) and in it, Heather Ann said that she wanted to be a sexy block of cheese for Halloween. Since cheese can have holes in it. LOL.

Tbh, I am very pleased that California schools are going to stop using Redskins as a mascot. Yes, I may seem like I am being petty and too PC, but considering how this country started and used the terms to depict the NA, no, let's get rid of all racially derived terms. Period!
Additionally,
I must mentioned and speak on the inaccuracies of many of these racially derived terms...Black face was not used because Whites wanted to portray Black actors on the screen...It was actually used to portray Blacks as less than humans without souls...Blacks were portrayed as savages, as well as, Native Americans with the depiction of redskins...So, this is the correct move.
Furthermore,
Yes, I discovered and traced my ancestry to the Chickasaw Nation out of Alabama, and this heightened my sensitivity on this subject. I definitely do not like any group using our name to enriched themselves. I feel, if an organization wants to used the tribal names, they should pay for the right, like a trademark. So, I am not quite offended by the tribal name aspect, if the tribe is enriched and can control the rights on how it is used...However, many organizations want to infringe and profit from the name without giving respect to the rightful owners...

A coworker and I like to come up with the most ridiculous 'sexy' Halloween costumes. So far the weirdest has been 'sexy baked potato with strategically placed bacon bits'.

Can we see pictures of this please? I can't even imagine this one in my head.

and traced my ancestry to the Chickasaw Nation out of Alabama, and this heightened my sensitivity on this subject. I definitely do not like any group using our name to enriched themselves. I feel, if an organization wants to used the tribal names, they should pay for the right, like a trademark. So, I am not quite offended by the tribal name aspect, if the tribe is enriched and can control the rights on how it is used...However, many organizations want to infringe and profit from the name without giving respect to the rightful owners...

Some may be surprised to find out exactly how little protection tribes names have. Even the Twilight author Stephanie Meyer banked on the use of a tribe located in the areas of Washington she wrote about, but that tribe has never seen a single cent of it. To me that's sad.

My dad's heritage includes Cherokee Indian and, a little more disgustingly, African American slave blood. I rarely acknowledge the latter half, but I do tend to think how that tribe does just because I figure if they're not offended, neither should I.

Slave blood; they owned a lucrative plantation in North Carolina and the line was established through forced activities.
Alright! I thought you were disgusted by the AA part... Slavery is disgusting part of our history, however, I think, every group of people ancestry started as slaves and/or indentured servants. For me, my family came here as indentured servants by way of Senegal, Africa and France... I love to think that my ancestors perseverance and hardwork helped build this nation...

Alright! I thought you were disgusted by the AA part... Slavery is disgusting part of our history, however, I think, every group of people ancestry started as slaves and/or indentured servants. For me, my family came here as indentured servants by way of Senegal, Africa and France... I love to think that my ancestors perseverance and hardwork helped build this nation...

Oh no, not the AA part at all. I'm fine with whatever line wants a spot in my families history, just not when it comes through less than savory ways. My dad's side is questionable, my mom's side less so---wealthy immigrants from Ireland so thankfully not the indentured servant way that most had to. They stayed upstate long enough to establish themselves and went south to make themselves big.

Oh no, not the AA part at all. I'm fine with whatever line wants a spot in my families history, just not when it comes through less than savory ways. My dad's side is questionable, my mom's side less so---wealthy immigrants from Ireland so thankfully not the indentured servant way that most had to. They stayed upstate long enough to establish themselves and went south to make themselves big.
I'm actually a small percentage Irish. It's my dad's side.

**I promise I don't eat kids**

Additionally, I must mentioned and speak on the inaccuracies of many of these racially derived terms...Black face was not used because Whites wanted to portray Black actors on the screen...It was actually used to portray Blacks as less than humans without souls...Blacks were portrayed as savages, as well as, Native Americans with the depiction of redskins...So, this is the correct move.

Beginnings of Blackface (from blackhistory.com)

Lewis Hallam Jr., a White comedic actor, brought blackface to prominence as a theatrical device when playing the role of an inebriated Black man onstage in 1789. The play attracted notice, and other performers adopted the style.

Related types of performances are “yellowface,” in which performers adopt Asian identities, “brownface,” for
East Indian or Latino and “redface,” for Native Americans. “Whiteface,” or “paleface,” is sometimes used for non-White actors performing White roles, for example, the film, White Chicks.Dooley Wilson, famous for the role of Sam the piano player in Casablanca, earned his stage name "Dooley" from performing in whiteface as an Irishman. In Thailand, actors darken their faces to portray the The Negrito of Thailand in a popular play by King Chulalongkorn, which has been turned into a musical and a movie.

No one is debating that black face was offensive, they were portrayed as cartoonish, goofy, and stupid. However, the Washington Redskins coach was a Native American when the team was named, three primarily Native American High Schools have teams named "Redskins", and a Native American designed the Washington Redskin logo. There is a HUGE difference between black face and the Washington Redskins. One is making fun and belittling a race while the other was a race chosen to be the pride of the team. White Americans tend to embrace any Native American heritage they have and will proudly disclose the tribe their family member(s) descended from any chance they can.

Beginnings of Blackface (from blackhistory.com)

Lewis Hallam Jr., a White comedic actor, brought blackface to prominence as a theatrical device when playing the role of an inebriated Black man onstage in 1789. The play attracted notice, and other performers adopted the style.

Related types of performances are “yellowface,” in which performers adopt Asian identities, “brownface,” for
East Indian or Latino and “redface,” for Native Americans. “Whiteface,” or “paleface,” is sometimes used for non-White actors performing White roles, for example, the film, White Chicks.Dooley Wilson, famous for the role of Sam the piano player in Casablanca, earned his stage name "Dooley" from performing in whiteface as an Irishman. In Thailand, actors darken their faces to portray the The Negrito of Thailand in a popular play by King Chulalongkorn, which has been turned into a musical and a movie.

No one is debating that black face was offensive, they were portrayed as cartoonish, goofy, and stupid. However, the Washington Redskins coach was a Native American when the team was named, three primarily Native American High Schools have teams named "Redskins", and a Native American designed the Washington Redskin logo. There is a HUGE difference between black face and the Washington Redskins. One is making fun and belittling a race while the other was a race chosen to be the pride of the team. White Americans tend to embrace any Native American heritage they have and will proudly disclose the tribe their family member(s) descended from any chance they can.
Yes to all of this. I'm very prideful of where I come from. Like you said picking a school mascot is based on pride. Not everyone is going to know everything about every Native American tribes. People just like to debate/argue about whatever and it gets tiring. Like I said before fix things in your community first. To me that's more important than changing a mascot that you think is offensive,

**I promise I don't eat children and I am not gross looking**

Last edited:
Yes to all of this. I'm very prideful of where I come from. Like you said picking a school mascot is based on pride. Not everyone is going to know everything about everyone Native American tribes. People just like to debate/argue about whatever and it gets tiring. Like I said before fix things in your community first. To me that's more important than changing a mascot that you think is offensive,

**I promise I don't eat children and I am not gross looking**
Very true. It kind of reminds me of the Confederate flag debate; taking down the Confederate flag everywhere isn't going to stop racism. And banning the use of 'Redskins' as a mascot won't suddenly alleviate all of the problems faced by the NA community.

Back