All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tips for getting OUT the tease? My hair is so raggedy mid-season and it pains me to keep having to tease the pony for volume so it shows above the bow.

Also tips for keeping a full volume teased pony tail would be good! Everyone and their cat can tell you their foolproof poof and curls technique but to keep up a teased pony of heavy, straight hair is near impossible to find. The Cami Branson tute is useless for me because I don't have candy floss light blonde hair.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I have thick, wavy hair and getting out the poof tease used to be my worst nightmare! My secret is A LOT of conditioner, and a very wide tooth comb. While in the shower, shampoo twice to remove hairspray residue, then go at it with the conditioner. Take your comb and brush it out gently and slowly while the conditioner is washing out. Any knots that are particularly stubborn should be easily loosened with your fingers. Continue until tease free! That's how I do it anyway :)

As for ponytail height, I'm still waiting for the hair gods on that one :(

To keep a high tease, my mom once stuck a huge bobby pin straight into where my ponytail holder wrapped around, so it stuck straight up and down like a pole. She teased the hair on top ultra hard and just laid it on top of the bobby pin. The bobby pin kept it looking "high." I only did it once because if a flyer were to fall on it, it would have jammed the bobby pin into my scalp and it would have HURT. I guess the best I've done since then is keep a teasing brush in my bag and fix it up right after warm ups so there is no time to deflate.

Yes!! Use a lot of conditioner to get out the tease. I usually put conditioner in my hair first (after I wet it) and then comb it out gently with a comb. After that use a clarifying shampoo (one that will get rid of all of the residue) until you don't have any hairspray left :)

You are correct. Teasing is definitely much less damaging, but everything you do to hair to style it damages it in some way, even brushing. For some hair types, a high tight pony is really damaging and causes lots of breakage especially if left in all day. It is really a matter of damage control with hair and you cannot do what is best for everyone all at the same time.

using heat protectant each and every time you apply heat to your hair, will help cut down on the damaging effects of heat and DEEP CONDITION regularly.

Tips for getting OUT the tease? My hair is so raggedy mid-season and it pains me to keep having to tease the pony for volume so it shows above the bow.

Also tips for keeping a full volume teased pony tail would be good! Everyone and their cat can tell you their foolproof poof and curls technique but to keep up a teased pony of heavy, straight hair is near impossible to find. The Cami Branson tute is useless for me because I don't have candy floss light blonde hair.

Use three hair ties-- one to hold your pony and two to pump up the volume. I would put my hair in a pony, then split the pony in half (top and bottom) and wrap the other two hair ties around the bottom half. Pull them tight so that the bottom half of your pony stands straight up, then tease that half. Worked like a charm for me.

Yes
Use three hair ties-- one to hold your pony and two to pump up the volume. I would put my hair in a pony, then split the pony in half (top and bottom) and wrap the other two hair ties around the bottom half. Pull them tight so that the bottom half of your pony stands straight up, then tease that half. Worked like a charm for me.
yes i put 3/4 in my kids head atleast . The first to put the pony up. Then i stack a second one on to make the pony stand up. Then the 3rd is the bow rubberband. Then the 4th to make the hair go up and stand up above the bow. It also helps keep the bow from sliding/falling out!

Last edited:
using heat protectant each and every time you apply heat to your hair, will help cut down on the damaging effects of heat and DEEP CONDITION regularly.
I agree with this wholeheartedly for ethnic hair, but if a white athlete did this, because of the oil in heat protectant products, it would fall flat no matter how much freeze spray they use.
Multiple elastics + bow, dirty hair. Wash it the day before comp (Friday,) and not again until after day 2. Dirty hair gets way bigger than clean hair.
Spray the portions to be teased, let it DRY, then tease.

I coach a youth age team (rec). We are doing high ponytails with a curly hair piece. They are so easy. We sew them in so we never have a problem with them falling out. And the curls are really cute on the 9-11 year olds.

Ok, don't give me a hard time because I'm sure these have been discussed on here... but what are the name of those curlers that come in different colors for the different sizes that I see the girls walking around with on comp day? The ones that wrap the hair up inside of them and then you just pull them out before you go on?

Ok, don't give me a hard time because I'm sure these have been discussed on here... but what are the name of those curlers that come in different colors for the different sizes that I see the girls walking around with on comp day? The ones that wrap the hair up inside of them and then you just pull them out before you go on?

CURLFORMERS

omg yes my middle school team used to do that. I was just dying to do something different.
We're stuck with straight, no poof ponytails this season (at least for 1-day competitions). As much as I don't like dealing with curling my CP's massive amounts of hair, I do prefer curled hairstyles for cheer. I just think it gives an overall better look.

That's one of the things at old gym I hated.... asked for straight pony, and we got a variety of everything but straight hair!

Back