All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Are retired cheerleaders finding they have problems with hair loss/damage/receding hairline after they retire? From the looks of some of these styles, y'all are gonna need to rock pixies due to damage..plus the amount of tight pulling makes you lose a ton of hair.

Are retired cheerleaders finding they have problems with hair loss/damage/receding hairline after they retire? From the looks of some of these styles, y'all are gonna need to rock pixies due to damage..plus the amount of tight pulling makes you lose a ton of hair.

I'm not retired yet, but I already have a little bald spot going on at my part because for 3 and a half seasons we did severely tight bang braids. Where the beginning of my braid would be has only like 10 hairs now.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

i used to complain so much about my required slicked-back pony, but thank god. so glad i cheered in the ancient times ;)

i can't wait until these girls look back at their photos like WTF. it's almost as bad (or maybe worse) as 80's hair

So true!!!!! lol

I found a new way to do my competition hair, flat iron curls. After I have my whole head curled I fluff my fingers through it and it's like my hair explodes.

i used to complain so much about my required slicked-back pony, but thank god. so glad i cheered in the ancient times ;)

i can't wait until these girls look back at their photos like WTF. it's almost as bad (or maybe worse) as 80's hair

I cheered in what FEELS like ancient times now (about to date myself!)

I was cheering in college circa 2002-2006. MS/high school and (VERY EARLY) all star before that (as in before there was Worlds!)

I complained all the time that my single curly pony for HS was "too much." My mom would've lost her mind if she'd had to help me pouf for that many years.

Confession: My Y2 wanted poufs last year and I had to watch a Youtube video for tips. I was lost!

Now that is something I hadn't thought of doing, keeping the poof completely separate! Genius!

However I'm interested in how long your daughters hair is as in theory this is a great idea but my hair is pretty long! I'm gonna try this tho!

I know you asked me this like a long time ago but I realized I never answered you.. Sorry but if you still want to know it's this length
utaje4e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice on this thread. I have a big comp this weekend and have never done my own hair before and struggled with poofs but today I tried some tips from this thread and it came out well and stoked for comp!!

How do people with super teased get their hair out after comp? I tried teasing my pony one day (not near as big as that, it actually didn't get taller at all) just to see how it turned out and my ponytail holders had to be broken to get them out. We don't tease our ponytails so it's not an issue but I just always wonder if I'm crazy or other people have issues too? Especially with a bow in.

I don't allow my daughter to mess with it till we get home. If you comb or otherwise try to untangle, it breaks off the hair. We go straight to the shower- wet, condition first, comb with a wide tooth comb, then shampoo and condition as normal. Her hair is fine and as much as we compete she wouldn't have any hair left if we weren't really careful.

I don't allow my daughter to mess with it till we get home. If you comb or otherwise try to untangle, it breaks off the hair. We go straight to the shower- wet, condition first, comb with a wide tooth comb, then shampoo and condition as normal. Her hair is fine and as much as we compete she wouldn't have any hair left if we weren't really careful.

I do the same thing, the other girls on my team always brush it out first but i would never do that plus it wouldn't work anyways haha
I always manage to get the bow and hairtie out of the hair, usually my hair just stays in a ponytail even after i removed every tie and bobby pin because of all the hairspray and teasing. Then i just hop in the shower and use tons of conditioner and deep conditioner. When i get out my hair is back to normal, i just put on some dry oil and that's it

Since I have promised multiple people this and never did it -

Here is a tutorial!

I'm not a person who wants to be in videos and my friend who taught me is much more the better person for the job! We had fun last season always making sure our girls hair looked just liked our coaches wanted! Which was spirit hair!
This is what works for us!

5aa22445492b5e0e8bfa2abb1c813a39.jpg

a973337d09b7ef5f903ca7cdfd292b2b.jpg
Even after a long day it usually still looked great! The bow was still sitting high and everything! The flyer and the main base are our kids!

So here it is lol

Part 1- this part will show how we start. We section the hair out that will be used for the poof and put the remaining into a high secure pony. For those that would like to use extensions for cheer hair we even show how you can put those in! If you do not need this part just skip ahead to what part you do! Just section the poof out and place the hair up before continuing!

Part 2- this part is the Poof and adding in the bow at the end! It is an easy quick way to get a nice poof!

Part 3- teasing and curling! The girl in the video has extensions in but it could be done on any hair!

ETA: and by the way if it's a 2 day comp my kid can take a bath but not a shower! I do not redo her hair I just touch it up! The NCA pic posted above was a 2 day old poof!

Since your poof hair is not added into the extensions in the same rubberband you could easily take out the poof and redo it without having to redo the extensions if she messed it up while sleeping! I just curl it and tease it a little more! Like a 15 min day 2 process!!:)

The only thing I really do different then she does is that little bit of hair left over from the poof is tucked into my kids poof I do not add it to the bow. I understand that may not work on kids with extremely long hair but I actually like mine 100% separate so I don't even have to take out the bow if I don't like the poof!

Last edited:
@Kris10boo I'm sure you've said the (actually I know you have), but where do you get the extensions? Are they something I can get from Sally's? I want to mess with my kid's hair a bit. She has a shoulder-length bob right now, but I'm wondering if she could get a competition pony again with some help.

@Kris10boo I'm sure you've said the (actually I know you have), but where do you get the extensions? Are they something I can get from Sally's? I want to mess with my kid's hair a bit. She has a shoulder-length bob right now, but I'm wondering if she could get a competition pony again with some help.

I'm sure you could buy them there. Just make sure you clarify with whomever works there that they can take heat or hold curls or whatever if you were wanting to do that to them. We had picked out some hair last time and the woman was insistent that the kind of hair we selected would not hold curls. So my Jaylen has real human hair ones I believe. The Jalen in the video her mom said she uses a blend so hers isn't all human hair but I'm not really up to date to know anything about hair extensions at all.

I say just find the color and length you want and ask that one question if you are unsure and you are all set!
ETA: we are both using one package of hair cut in half. Since it's only the ponytail you really don't need as much hair as you think because it definitely doesn't look like much!

Back