All-Star Worlds Info Packet

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i have a question if someone could help i seem to be confused. I have attended worlds since 2006 so this is the first time im confused. If your on a worlds package as a team and you dont make it to finals you have to pay a seperate $30 for each session or is your admission already included since you purchased a worlds package.

No, at least, you haven't in the past. If you have a park hopper as part of the package, that includes your entry, regardless of competing or not.

I agree with the excessive celebration and setup rules. I do not think they were worded the best. It is all in how you present the new rules.. and they weren't presented correctly. However being on time and keeping an event rolling is important. They way they were described over emphasized the little things and did not paint a good general picture. A better description would have been: You have 30 seconds to come off the mat after you have finished competing. Every 1 second past that removes 1 point from your score. As well no individual should draw attention to their one person. If so, penalties can be assessed based on severity.

That takes care of both things without pissing people off for the little high 5's or hugs.
Agree or disagree with the way it was rolled out, the bottom line is that excessive celebration has become an issue. This isn't about the USASF 'thinking that hugs for kids are bad.' When you are trying to run an event on time and you are having to drag athletes, coaches, and RANDOM FANS (not even attending in an official capacity with the program) off the mat as they disregard your polite instruction, we have a viable issue.

People are upset that the rule isn't vague enough. Others are upset that the enforcement is too vague. Just don't excessively celebrate and it doesn't matter if its worth 2 points, 4 points or 6.

Somebody commented that their favorite part of Worlds was watching the Coaches' emotional reaction after each routine... that's a problem, guys.

At NCA, coaches and fans aren't allowed near the floor. And athletes have to exit so the next team can have THEIR moment on the mat. If each team takes 30 extra seconds, then by the end of the day you are behind by over an hour in one venue. When one venue is behind, crossovers and cooWe don't have to have these same rules in place in Dallas because it hasn't become a problem. If it were to get to the level that Worlds has seen, we would be forced to enstate a similar policy.

Life as we know it at Worlds isn't changing. Nobody here is trying to kill puppies. Please don't attribute every decision or announcement as the 'beginning of the end' of the governing body.

(By the way, I wasn't involved in the creation of this new policy or the pricing, so I'm not speaking on behalf of the USASF. I'm speaking as an Event Producer who runs an event bigger than Worlds and knows the logistical importance of scheduling and maintaining a controlled atmosphere).

Agree or disagree with the way it was rolled out, the bottom line is that excessive celebration has become an issue. This isn't about the USASF 'thinking that hugs for kids are bad.' When you are trying to run an event on time and you are having to drag athletes, coaches, and RANDOM FANS (not even attending in an official capacity with the program) off the mat as they disregard your polite instruction, we have a viable issue.

People are upset that the rule isn't vague enough. Others are upset that the enforcement is too vague. Just don't excessively celebrate and it doesn't matter if its worth 2 points, 4 points or 6.

Somebody commented that their favorite part of Worlds was watching the Coaches' emotional reaction after each routine... that's a problem, guys.

At NCA, coaches and fans aren't allowed near the floor. And athletes have to exit so the next team can have THEIR moment on the mat. If each team takes 30 extra seconds, then by the end of the day you are behind by over an hour in one venue. When one venue is behind, crossovers and cooWe don't have to have these same rules in place in Dallas because it hasn't become a problem. If it were to get to the level that Worlds has seen, we would be forced to enstate a similar policy.

Life as we know it at Worlds isn't changing. Nobody here is trying to kill puppies. Please don't attribute every decision or announcement as the 'beginning of the end' of the governing body.

(By the way, I wasn't involved in the creation of this new policy or the pricing, so I'm not speaking on behalf of the USASF. I'm speaking as an Event Producer who runs an event bigger than Worlds and knows the logistical importance of scheduling and maintaining a controlled atmosphere).

I agree with you, but how it was presented means that teams that do not have a shot at making it to the next day will probably overly celebrate just because. It is one of those hot button things. If my team has no chance of making the next day, do I really care if my team overly celebrates and takes 4 minutes now? I am using hyperbole, but since only 10 teams are moving on, the other 50 have no reason to follow this rule in small senior, for example. It is a bit like the Streisand Effect.

I have no problem with the excessive celebration rule. You can hug and walk off hugging and be happy backstage. Thirty seconds is enough time, I agree with Kingston that the wording could have been better, but I agree with the message.

I have a problem with admission cost increase, especially since I spent part of last year watching on a jumbotron with sun in my eyes. I was okay paying $50 over the weekend for that, but $170, that's a lot. I don't have to go watch all 3 days, but my gym has teams in different divisions and I have friends with kids in different divisions. It's hard to say, oh sorry, I know I only see you twice a year, but I'm not watching your kid because I don't want to pay the $40.

I'm interested to see how they are going to handle the 3 sessions on Monday.

Long and short-
Whomever is responsible for these announcements is TERRIBLE at writing them. Haven't they ever watched Eddie Izzard? It's only, like 10% what you're actually saying, 20% how you sound, and 70% how you look.

Right now they look like Mr. Grumpy Gills.

I agree with you, but how it was presented means that teams that do not have a shot at making it to the next day will probably overly celebrate just because. It is one of those hot button things. If my team has no chance of making the next day, do I really care if my team overly celebrates and takes 4 minutes now? I am using hyperbole, but since only 10 teams are moving on, the other 50 have no reason to follow this rule in small senior, for example. It is a bit like the Streisand Effect.
King, I think you would care because you are a coach with class. And you'll be in an environment where professional composure is expected.
And why do you have to work Barbara Streisand into every conversation? It's getting old.

Long and short-
Whomever is responsible for these announcements is TERRIBLE at writing them. Haven't they ever watched Eddie Izzard? It's only, like 10% what you're actually saying, 20% how you sound, and 70% how you look.

I agree. Everyone has to understand that presentation matters.

King, I think you would care because you are a coach with class. And you'll be in an environment where professional composure is expected.
And why do you have to work Barbara Streisand into every conversation? It's getting old.

Me personally, yes. It was hyperbole. And I don't even have a team this year.

As for Barbara... everyones just lucky I haven't busted out into Yentl songs yet.

Long and short-

Keep in mind, there is a PR aspect to the announcement, but there's also a functional aspect at work here whereas the rules have to be specific enough for the officials to call upon them when necessary on-site.

What may have been smarter is a PRESS RELEASE explaining the intent and motive behind the new policy.... followed by the actual policy.

That said, in the end, people that want to be mad are going to be mad, regardless.

Starting a few years ago, I noticed certain teams really go overboard on their entrance onto the floor. While most teams would enter, wave for a couple of seconds, hug a nearby friend, etc., some more high profile teams would take the floor running around, waving and jumping and going crazy for over a minute! It really gave me a distaste for those teams. I really just can't stand the whole "we know we're amazing so praise us" mentality. Then, a couple of years ago the whole celebrating AFTER a routine started getting out of hand as well. Coaches rushing the floor when they were CLEARLY asked not to, Cheerlebs waving and bowing to their "fans", even coming back out on the floor after leaving the floor the first time to take a second round of applause, laying on the ground rolling around for what seemed like FOREVER after a performance. This type of behavior is unncessary and VERY annoying to me personally. My CP won worlds in 2011, the one and only time our gym has had that privilege and believe you me they were just as excited as any other team for nailing that routine on finals day. So I understand the kids wanting to hug and cry and jump on each other after a performance. Just do it in 30 seconds or less and there shouldn't be any issues.

However, I do think the whole "if you aren't standing we'll assume you're injured" line was a bit overboard. Just do what high school competitions do...You have 3 minutes from the start of your routine til you exit the floor. For every second after that you incur a penalty. It's that simple. So if a team wants to excessively celebrate, they'll suffer the consequences for it. But if my CP wants to jump on a teammate as they are exiting the floor, let her, as long as they are off in 30 seconds...

As far as the cost to get in, it sucks yes, but until they are willing to move the competition to a different venue, I think it is necessary. Not sure why they are leaving large all girl and large coed finals on Sunday since those are the two divisions that seem to draw the biggest crowd though...Seems like Sunday will still be overcrowded and we'll have the same issue with people not being able to get in the doors. Then come Monday when everyone has to pay a separate $30 per session, it'll be dead in the Milkhouse. :-/

Back