All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While my earlier comment was based on the simple fact I'm a failure at complicated hair dos, for me it was also aesthetics. The "cheer curls" were so gorgeous when I would see the teams walking by, but I just can't like them on stage - or any hair that isn't in a pony or, if above shoulder, half up. The ponies give a uniform look, the hair isn't flying in people's faces, and I just think it looks "cleaner" on stage. I've have seen tumbling passes where I was just waiting for a girl's hand to land on her hair and leave a whole hank of hair on the floor. Or I've seen flyers with their hair in their faces and I'm just thinking it's a hazard. Just one mom's opinion.

Anyone who knows me would know it would be a crime for me not to share my poof tips in this thread.

Tips for a poof that will not move... even after you take out elastics and bobby pins:
- Take the section that you want to poof. Mine is usually a square that starts roughly around the arches of the eyebrows, maybe slightly smaller. Then go just as far back so you have the section you will be poofing. Tie back the rest in a low pony.
- Flip all of the hair you will be poofing over so it lays infront of the face. Take small rows of hair, hairspray, tease, and hairspray again. I like to keep the hair up straight until the hairspray dries for a couple seconds. Repeat until you have one thin section in the front that can cover all of the teasing. It does not matter if you're teasing it to be 'too big' because that will be corrected in the next step!
- Pull back all the teased hair to make a little pony tail. Tie it off with a small elastic. You can get a pack of 100 or so at any pharmacy type store. Usually I place my elastic right were the teasing stops but if you need a little more volume place it a little lower.. if you have too much teasing, place it right in the teasing.
- From there, position the poof however you want and pin it in place!
- To finish off, I usually do a light hairspray and run a comb through to seal in any flyaways. You need to be really careful about the amount of hairspray though or it will clump the hair together.

I have used this method for 2 seasons and beyond. I have very thick hair but it also works in thin hair. Hopefully this is clear enough.. let me know if you have any questions!

Most people wouldn't do them that tightly lol I just didn't want to use other people's pics)
here's a tutorial that includes curls and a poof!

This is exactly the link i've send my girls and the parents, so they can practise and know what i want.
All the years before some girls from the team and i did the hair for everyone (all three teams), but this year i just want them to come with hair done to competitions.
I guess i will have to fix some, but better than do it for every single girl.

My cp has really long hair, it takes me forever to get her competition ready :-D

As a former cheer mom, I was so grateful our hair instructions were simply high straight ponytail and the bow. - no curls, no poof and if the girl's hair was above her shoulders than it was half up, rest down. Since my cp's hair was naturally straight, it was easy. Cheer curls would have driven me crazy and a poof?!?:eek:.
First comp tomorrow. High pony and bow. Was dancing with joy (on the inside) when I heard this. Cp does own hair now but still, this makes everything so much easier.

Anyone have any tips for poofs that split down the middle or side? I have a side part and whenever I push the poof up, it splits down the side! :(

Make sure the hair isn't clean, wash it the night before, I know for sure my clean hair won't let anything work!! Then tease- even if you want a little poof teasing will help give it that extra oomph:) then hair spray- but not too much!! Hope this helps :)

Anyone have any tips for poofs that split down the middle or side? I have a side part and whenever I push the poof up, it splits down the side! :(
Are you spraying really well with a good hairspray like Got to B Glued BEFORE you tease, the spraying again as you smooth it out? That is what finally fixed CP's side part issues.

Figure out which section you want to poof and then take your straightener and run it over just the part you'll poof in kind of a rainbow shape starting at the front and going towards the back. Then tease and brush the front out a bit, then tease it all again

stuntjumptumble I had to come and say thank you.. The thing about separating part of the bump and teasing the back ended my year long bump struggle today and my CP had a perfect bump that did not move for over 12 hours. Actually it still hasn't moved! I am so grateful.. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do that but it was such a lifesaver. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Poof Problems? When in doubt, tease it out.

I like the braid up the back but I can't do it on myself if my life depended on it. I usually stick to a poof or braid, not a fan of the straight back look though

I usually shower the night before, and while my hair is still wet, I part my hair as far to the side as possible. Then I put my hair in a ponytail and sleep on it. Then my poof doesn't split :)

stuntjumptumble I had to come and say thank you.. The thing about separating part of the bump and teasing the back ended my year long bump struggle today and my CP had a perfect bump that did not move for over 12 hours. Actually it still hasn't moved! I am so grateful.. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do that but it was such a lifesaver. Thank you thank you thank you!!
You're welcome! I'm so glad to hear this! Happy to have helped :D

CURLFORMERS!!!!!!!!! Whoever invented these is literally the smartest person on earth! Shower the night before, put them in. Sleep all night and take them out in the morning and poof, you have perfect curls!
They have made my life!!!!! My hair is naturally curly, but not the right kind for cheer... curlformers and revlon curling wand thingy are perfection :cloud9:

Shimmies forever for the curlformer inventor :shimmy:

Back