All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can I find a light brown curly hair piece or pony in a black hair supply store? (CP has straight hair that doesn't curl too easy.)
Yes but I would suggest a synthetic pre curled hair on a track you should be able to get a pack of hair for less than 10$ . Drawstring ponytails can be heavy especially on a little one, and they tend to look really fake.

Interesting, but I can almost guarantee you are right! What would you ask/say? Seriously considering doing this. I don't have near enough money to pay for that hair, no matter how gorgeous they look!

Go there and say "my child needs a weave ponytail for a cheer comp. it needs to be human hair. " take a picture if necessary but for the love of God please don't spend $250

You can also dye the hair yourself to match. Or take it to a stylist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can I find a light brown curly hair piece or pony in a black hair supply store? (CP has straight hair that doesn't curl too easy.)

You can find anything in a black hair store.

Within reason.

I feel like I should use some vacay days and travel to major cheer competitions and apply weave ponytails for y'all. I'll even show your kid how to tie it up with a silk scarf and a bonnet so I don't have to be there for day 2 to do hair.

But seriously hit up the local Kim's, Kings, J. D's or whatever it's called in your area and let them help you.

I've been told quite a few of the Posh Pony purchasing moms from our gym spent up to $400 (including expedited shipping) for the long Posh Ponies. I think I'll just convince CP she wants a bob after this season!

The thing that I like about the Posh Ponies is that you can control what you do with the hair (I'm sure you can do this with any of them). I didn't really like the tease it came with it, so I brushed it out and reteased it the way I wanted it to look. Except for a couple of people who all ready knew CP had one, most people had no idea. Could I have saved money by going to a black hair store? Absolutely, but I was presented with an opportunity and I decided to take it. My daughter was able to run around with her friends Sat night while I sat with the parents, drinking wine and touching up the pony. The amount of sleep we are saving is totally worth it, too. CP has naturally curly hair so to achieve the look the coaches want this year we would have to straighten and then recurl just the ends, then tease and tease and tease. With the pony, her hair was done in about 15 minutes - it only took about 5 minutes to put the pony in. I still need to play with it a little more, but to me, it is worth it. I'm sure it isn't for everyone , though.

ETA - it takes less than 2 minutes to take the pony out and since I don't have to brush the crap out of CP's hair everyone is happy!

So I went to the beauty supply store and matched my daughters hair. Spent $70 on a weft of human hair and I get home and take it out and it smells synthetic. Like dolls hair. I washed it to see if that would help and it still stinks. Is it supposed to smell that way?

Drawstring method:
drawstring with claw clip:

andddddd of course how to attach the drawstring ponytail into your hair:

Cool! Thank you! I think I bought the wrong kind of hair. I may try this instead of spending a ton getting someone to put it together only to have it not last.

Cool! Thank you! I think I bought the wrong kind of hair. I may try this instead of spending a ton getting someone to put it together only to have it not last.

Welcome! They may be a little tricky to get the hang of at first, but honestly I could make 10+ for the price some of these places are charging for ONE ponytail.

Of course if the teasing and curling part of cheer hair isn't your forte, you might need someone to help with the actual styling, but the ponytail making itself is pretty simple.

Back