All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I could use some help! For NCA This weekend we are curling out hair as usual, which takes me over 4 hours with a curling iron. Unfortunately we need to be ready by 9 am and I would love to not wake up at 3 am the day of a competition to do my hair. If I do it the night before would sleeping wreck them? Should I do the bottom half the night before? Any suggestions are appreciated

I could use some help! For NCA This weekend we are curling out hair as usual, which takes me over 4 hours with a curling iron. Unfortunately we need to be ready by 9 am and I would love to not wake up at 3 am the day of a competition to do my hair. If I do it the night before would sleeping wreck them? Should I do the bottom half the night before? Any suggestions are appreciated

have you used a wand, my hair use to take hours but i can curl my hair with a wand in 30-45 minutes. or tried curling your hair the night before? you can always pin your curls and sleep in a bonnet although that can be uncomfortable.

i agree that a wand tends to be faster, but i would definitely try it before comp day! if not i have slept in my curls before which worked for me, and then just had a few touch ups to do in the morning. it depends how your hair holds a curl. if your hair holds curl fine than you should be good :)

You could try curling them the night before and then putting them on softrollers or something like that to sleep in, or like suggested pinning them up. But yeah, I'd try that maybe tonight and see how it goes. just to be sure.

Just got to bed super early and get up as early as you need as long as it wont interfere with how you preform. Dont stress about it or you wont be able to sleep all night. I've had experience. :confused:

I remember you posting your hair from Indy and it was big with really tiny curls. If you tease your hair, I recommend teasing before you curl, as it cuts down on the time spent teasing, and reduces the amount of curl you have to do. I would also turn your curling iron onto a higher heat setting so that you can achieve the same look using less time. Bigger sections would also help save time as I saw you used very tiny sections for your curls.

I can curl and tease my entire head in 40 minutes but when it's just curls, it takes me about 25 minutes with a wand.

OK, I have what is maybe a stupid question. I am thinking of doing teased ponytails but I'm worried that their bows will get "stuck", what with all the hair spray and all. Should I be worried? These are younger (youth aged) and I don't want to make it miserable for them.

I tease 7 yo cp's hair (not to the level as some of the elite athletes- but not bad for a Jersey Girl) ;) We have never had problems getting the hair tangled in the bow.

Just saw this thread pop up again and I've been meaning to post in it for awhile now... Hopefully this helps somebody!

I have thick, VERY frizzy/curly hair that goes down to about mid chest when straightened and a little past the shoulders naturally. Curls for cheer, gymnastics and formals have always been super difficult to do because my hair just frizzes up after an hour or so and loses the style. What I've found works best is before blow drying (when hair is still damp/wet) use a detangler for textured hair - I've been using Soft and Beautiful Just for Me for the last year or so - and then blow dry it until it's somewhat straight. I don't like the way using a wand looks with my hair, so I use a 1" flat iron and twirl it down my hair from the root to the tip. This takes me about 25 minutes to do. From there if I want a poof I tease it normally, pin it, and spray it down. At that point it's pretty easy to tie everything up in a ponytail and spray/tease if needed. If I want to go straight I basically do the same thing minus the curling and add a straightening spray before using the flat iron.

Products I've found that work well with naturally curly/frizzy hair:
-Biomega Firm & Fabulous hair spray (this is about $18 but WELL worth your money)
-Soft and Beautiful Just for Me detangler/conditioner
-John Frieda Frizz Ease Three Day Straight spray
-Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong shampoo/conditioner (this prevents breakage from all the time it takes to blow dry/straighten)

Just saw this thread pop up again and I've been meaning to post in it for awhile now... Hopefully this helps somebody!

I have thick, VERY frizzy/curly hair that goes down to about mid chest when straightened and a little past the shoulders naturally. Curls for cheer, gymnastics and formals have always been super difficult to do because my hair just frizzes up after an hour or so and loses the style. What I've found works best is before blow drying (when hair is still damp/wet) use a detangler for textured hair - I've been using Soft and Beautiful Just for Me for the last year or so - and then blow dry it until it's somewhat straight. I don't like the way using a wand looks with my hair, so I use a 1" flat iron and twirl it down my hair from the root to the tip. This takes me about 25 minutes to do. From there if I want a poof I tease it normally, pin it, and spray it down. At that point it's pretty easy to tie everything up in a ponytail and spray/tease if needed. If I want to go straight I basically do the same thing minus the curling and add a straightening spray before using the flat iron.

Products I've found that work well with naturally curly/frizzy hair:
-Biomega Firm & Fabulous hair spray (this is about $18 but WELL worth your money)
-Soft and Beautiful Just for Me detangler/conditioner
-John Frieda Frizz Ease Three Day Straight spray
-Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong shampoo/conditioner (this prevents breakage from all the time it takes to blow dry/straighten)
Your hair sounds very similar to mine. I thank the cheer gods at every competition that cp has straight hair. I could not imagine if she had to straighten it only to curl it again, but I know that is what the curly haired folk need to do.

Your hair sounds very similar to mine. I thank the cheer gods at every competition that cp has straight hair. I could not imagine if she had to straighten it only to curl it again, but I know that is what the curly haired folk need to do.
Do y'all really straighten the whole head to recurl it? I think my hair would be fried if I had to do that! I have curly hair and I just straighten the poof and the top of the back poof and curl everything as is.

Do y'all really straighten the whole head to recurl it? I think my hair would be fried if I had to do that! I have curly hair and I just straighten the poof and the top of the back poof and curl everything as is.
I have to straighten to recurl it, her curls are not the same as the curls we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to straighten to recurl it, her curls are not the same as the curls we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a teammate who has African American hair and until like a month ago she would straighten her hair and recurl it and then she got one of those automatic curling irons. She can curl it right after washing it now with the automatic curling iron. It saves her a ton of time and isn't as damaging to her hair.

Basically what I am taking from this entire thread is that I am PRAYING that poofs are "out" before my kids want them. (They are 10 and 8 right now... some of the girls on my youth cheerleader's team do them but most don't, and none of the minis do.) I would be absolutely HOPELESS at them! And I live in New Jersey so it should be in the water... guess I drink too much bottled water. Ha!!

Same here, I feel like curling over my natural curls helps hold it better

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back