All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a thick-haired curly girl growing up in the 90s when everyone wanted the 'Rachel', my hair is now..kinda my thing. Like I'm the 'girl with curls'. It's part of who I am. It's one of the things I had to suffer through as a kid but now love growing up, like my middle name and high-waist pants.

I just feel like this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. If there WAS an actual compromise, and it was rejected, that's nonsense. If the 'compromise' was lowering her team level, that's a bit ridiculous. I understand 'rules are rules', but it's not like it's 'be on time for practice' or 'these are the uniforms for practice for these days.' Or even a safety guideline. For the love of all things it's HAIR. Seriously?

First, there was no "offer" to drop a level to utilize a different hair style. Next, there has been no change in ownership/coaching at WE. This whole situation is terrible and no 11 year old should have to deal with this. Her mother chose to go to the media with "her" story and I personally don't understand how it is newsworthy. I am comfortable with our decision and although it doesn't feel so good reading some of the comments about our decision, we have been overwhelmed by the support we have received from everyone who knows what we stand for. Is there more to the story? Absolutely. However, I feel that it is best to just let it go at this point. I only hope that people can use their better judgment and know this decision was more than just about hair.

First, there was no "offer" to drop a level to utilize a different hair style. Next, there has been no change in ownership/coaching at WE. This whole situation is terrible and no 11 year old should have to deal with this. Her mother chose to go to the media with "her" story and I personally don't understand how it is newsworthy. I am comfortable with our decision and although it doesn't feel so good reading some of the comments about our decision, we have been overwhelmed by the support we have received from everyone who knows what we stand for. Is there more to the story? Absolutely. However, I feel that it is best to just let it go at this point. I only hope that people can use their better judgment and know this decision was more than just about hair.

I'm pretty sure we all knew this was about more than hair. ;)

So... does it actually affect the score if everyone has straight hair vs straight/curly hair mixed? Genuinly interested to know. Someone said SMOED has different styles hair, I did google for some pictures and sometimes it does seem that way.
If it does, I'll add that to the list of things completely ridiculous about Allstar scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a rule player so, rules always trump SM's. With that said, and I'm going to ask this honestly, would it be such a terrible distraction if the girls all pulled their hair back in a high sleek pony and either straightened their pony, if they have straight hair or curl it, if they have curly hair? If you want a pouf, have them all do a pouf? I understand wanting to tame down the frizz on both straight and curly hair to have it look nice but, sometimes when these girls fight against their natural hair, they end up with some pretty funky looking nonsense which, IMO draws the eye in a negative way. Same goes with spray tans, that dark orange Oompa Loompa look will keep me from seeing half of your routine.

"It wasn't about hair. It was about we don't want this negativity on our team," Tonner said.
This is the sentence that I believe has the most truth to the entire article.
yes, Susie Snowflake has beautiful curls, but they need a trim do to the damage all that bleach caused. Go home Jenny

Kind of makes me sad that based on your skin paleness and hairstyle that scores can b better or worse! It should b strength and skill uniformity over looks, that teams r judged on.
My daughter never did the crazy teased pony except for Worlds because she did not want to damage her hair. I kind of understand where the mom is coming from.
This is a team sport, and as such, looking like a unit is important. If one person isn't wearing a bow, for instance, the judges are going to notice this (as are a lot of us veteran parents LOL). It will disrupt the continuity. It is the nature of the sport. It's not perfect. My daughter is one of the VERY pale ones who needs a spray tan to blend LOL. Teasing damages ALL types of hair and during comp season we make sure to take extra care of it during this time. My main point is that this is a team sport and if the rules for your particular team don't work for you, then there are many other gyms/teams that might work out. It's sad that SM felt the need to go to the media without thinking the whole situation through. This will clearly follow her and her daughter.

I must admit, when I read the thread's title I immediately thought of a Mom from my daughter's first gym and this issue came up. This Mom in my situation, felt most defensive because she felt these demands were being made to her daughter(to make her curly hair straight and dye her red hair another color) mainly because she was Sr age on a lvl 1 team and was not as valued as lvl 5 athletes.... This Mom and daughter left the team in a similar manner as the girl in the article, but the good news, she ended her career on a team at my daughter's second gym and not make any drastic changes at all...

However, I understood distinctly how this Mom's and daughter's feelings and we all in some ways, must decide what is worth fighting...I told this Mom, for my daughter, I did not want this to be her Achilles heel and for my daughter, hair will not be her problem, but I used that opportunity to learn how to do my daughter's hair...I learned to weave hair and how to do all the interlocken braid weaves and we made the hair journey fun and not a curse with our own attitude...

But each person must choose their own path and for me, I will never call this Mom a name for fighting for her principles and lessons she is teaching her daughter... Frankly, I understand this Mom's story and take pride that she telling her daughter to fight instead of compromising... Some of our greatest accomplishments happened because 1 person stood up and said "No"...

I don't even understand why this is an issue for debate. There is always going to be that one girl who says "I can't do a poof, My hair won't curl, My hair won't straighten" and guess what, you either have to make it work like everyone else, or move elsewhere. For gym owners a standard needs to be set and they cannot just give in to the individual demands of people who aren't willing to compromise, make it work, whatever the case may be. Most gyms and teams will make girls all style their hair the same- it's clean, uniform, and professional. You can't have half the team with "half up half down curls" and half the team with "straight pony". In the NFL, players have requested to have their uniforms changed permanently to have pink on them to represent breast cancer. They get denied. Not the same as your physical hair, but y'all get what I mean. When the rules are set, they just have to be followed. That girl, when she competes, is representing WE. With that being said, it is their gym and they have the right to choose how their athletes represent their gym when on the floor. I know I certainly would not want athletes having different hair styles out there. She does not have to just stop cheering. She can find another gym that will let her do whatever she wants, if that is what she wants. For people to say "Oh it's just hair" are entirely missing the point. Any team I have ever been on would react the same. Even for high school. All of the ladies knew their hair had to look just like everyone else's. Not to mention that in cheerleading, not damaging your hair can be pretty hard. Even for girls who have naturally curly hair, the hair sometimes still needs to be curled or straightened then curled to achieve the "cheer curl" hair. This is not news. The mother absolutely had the right to pull her daughter. But that does not mean WE did anything wrong, or pushed her out of the door. Props to this gym!!

And just like that, the truth has been served. Thanks for clearing everything up.

But each person must choose their own path and for me, I will never call this Mom a name for fighting for her principles and lessons she is teaching her daughter... Frankly, I understand this Mom's story and take pride that she telling her daughter to fight instead of compromising... Some of our greatest accomplishments happened because 1 person stood up and said "No"...
Given what's been said on both sides of the argument here and the fact that the gym tried to find a compromise that worked, I don't think the was about standing up for something that matters and teaching life lessons. It seems to me to be a case of "if I don't get what I want I'll just scream louder." She is only teaching her daughter to throw a fit for what she wants.

I admire WE for not caving and standing up to what is very clearly a militant SM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is such a non story. There's nothing else going on in this particular area of Texas to cover? I mean to have a reporter out in the parking lot for a live shot....he didn't any anything else to go cover? Goodness.

2. To my untrained eye her hair already looks damaged and in need of care and deep conditioning but that's neither here nor there.

3. I was expecting ringlets not waves but that's neither here nor there

4. She could have gone and gotten a lace front wig or a sew in. A trim, deep condition, and protective style would do wonders for the condition of her hair. Also she should probably invest in a satin scarf and a satin pillow case.

Her mom is being extra for no reason

Last edited:
This is such a non story. There's nothing else going on in this particular area of Texas to cover? I mean to have a reporter out in the parking lot for a live shot....he didn't any anything else to go cover? Goodness.

2. To my untrained eye her hair already looks damaged and in need of care and deep conditioning but that's neither here nor there.

3. I was expecting ringlets not waves but that's neither here nor there

4. She could have gone and gotten a lace front wig or a sew in. A trim, deep condition, and protective style would do wonders for the condition of her hair. Also she should probably invest in a satin scarf and a satin pillow case.

Her mom is being extra for no reason

Weekend news is always a struggle ;) Apparently Texas needed the "mysterious light in the sky" that we had. "Reporting live from where there WAS a mysterious light earlier tonight..."

Back