All-Star Worlds Info Packet

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If this was the case, I could completely support the rule, but I am interpreting the rule to say that if you give a teammate a hug or a high 5 when you are on the mat, you are subject to a 2-6 point deduction. That is my issue. I have no problem with the timing rule or any type of EXCESSIVE, self-absorbant celebration. I just don't think a pat on the back or a hug is excessive or obnoxious and think it is sad to take that type of teammate support away. Kingston's proposal with a visible timer is right on.

It's a good rule, badly presented.

How much since does this whole price thing make to y'all? The two divisions with the most crowd problems they put on Sunday when everyone can go on park hopper pass and still competing so not on park time yet? The divisions without the crowd problems are Monday in three seperate sessions at 30 bucks a pop. So the theory of trying to deal with crowd by charging so some may not come is not gonna do any good because the teams that need crowd control are on Sunday with the hopper pass? Total Genius came up with this idea I guess?????

i know we keep comparing the sport of cheerleading to the sport of gymnastics,
Can you imagine Gabbi Douglas at the Olympics nailing her FX and falling to the ground and going crazy and her coaches running up on that floor and falling all over her .... Ya, the world would just REALLY want to see that.... :rolleyes: This is why it needs to stay professional or we'll never get out of our little bubble and expand for all the world to see and appreciate us as a legit sport.
but aside from the fact that both sports have tumbling, there is really no comparision in regards to the culture, lifestyle, training, etc.

no disrespect to you Mclovin every sport has it's own idiosyncricies (*spelling i know) and the fact that this is a sport that involves young(er) good looking athletes, who are told from the time they are babies, they are fierce, divas, queens, BAB's etc and a sport that encourages over the top performances, what can we expect? i wouldn't EVER expect that in gymnastics, cuz it's not the culture for that sport.

and up until this year, the over the top-ness HAS been encouraged in cheerleading. our athletes are told 'take the floor with bravado', show them who's boss, be fierce, tranny, etc. then all of a sudden their told oh, don't do that anymore and why? to keep the event running on time?? maybe because someone's feelings got hurt? i don't know the answer. what i do know is USASF needs a new PR person, cuz this is strike two on the rules rollout....again sorry for the ramble, but i don't think rules like this will add to legitimacy of the sport. rather it's like big brother telling you how to walk, talk and act after they've let you run wild like a kid in a candy store for years...

Can you imagine Gabbi Douglas at the Olympics nailing her FX and falling to the ground and going crazy and her coaches running up on that floor and falling all over her .... Ya, the world would just REALLY want to see that.... :rolleyes: This is why it needs to stay professional or we'll never get out of our little bubble and expand for all the world to see and appreciate us as a legit sport.
I've told you I appreciate you as a poster in the past (in a completely hetero way). But I have to disagree with you and others that share this stance.

I understand the tumbling factor we have in common with gymnastics, but we really need to stop making comparisons between the two. If anything it would be better to separate us as much as possible. At least from a sporting view. A rules view is a whole other topic.

I tend to like yojaehs views as well. So I agree on his tackling celebration comment. However, I think that's a poor analogy to hitting a routine at Worlds. Sticking with football (a clearly recognized sport), do we really think at the start of the BCS Championship when teams make grand entrances into the stadium waving and jumping is obnoxious? How weird and unexciting would it be to watch them all walk onto the field, and take their seats on the bench and watch the coin toss. As somebody said, that is to pump the crowd up but in turn, also pump the ATHLETES up.

This sport (unlike gymnastics) THRIVES on crowd support. So why do things to stifle it? Especially in the name of legitimizing it as a sport(???). There are plenty of other sports that encourage crowd interaction that we can be just as easily be lumped in with. With regards to post celebrating. Look at golf. Probably one of the most mild mannered games. But when Tiger makes an amazing chip, do we expect him to wait to get his ball out of the cup, exit the green, then fist pump?

If there are indeed obnoxious acts that are causing problems, I think they can be dealt with, without a huge umbrella policy.

but aside from the fact that both sports have tumbling, there is really no comparision in regards to the culture, lifestyle, training, etc.

no disrespect to you Mclovin every sport has it's own idiosyncricies (*spelling i know) and the fact that this is a sport that involves young(er) good looking athletes, who are told from the time they are babies, they are fierce, divas, queens, BAB's etc and a sport that encourages over the top performances, what can we expect? i wouldn't EVER expect that in gymnastics, cuz it's not the culture for that sport.

and up until this year, the over the top-ness HAS been encouraged in cheerleading. our athletes are told 'take the floor with bravado', show them who's boss, be fierce, tranny, etc. then all of a sudden their told oh, don't do that anymore and why? to keep the event running on time?? maybe because someone's feelings got hurt? i don't know the answer. what i do know is USASF needs a new PR person, cuz this is strike two on the rules rollout....again sorry for the ramble, but i don't think rules like this will add to legitimacy of the sport. rather it's like big brother telling you how to walk, talk and act after they've let you run wild like a kid in a candy store for years...
This what happens when one writes long posts. More time for somebody to step in and say the same thing and steal your thunder!

;)

Well. After 4 years I'm officially tapping out. Won't be at Worlds this year. 200+ dollars to be a spectator? Are you kidding me?

Looks like they solved their overcrowding issue after all.
No... You can't... Fundraiser for cheerKT to go to worlds.....

I'll bite here. I understand the rules, agree to disagree with some of them, but I don't have a level 5 nor worlds caliber athlete to really worry about this issue. However, there seems to be an underlying issue or stance the USASF is taking direct aim at with the new rules and reading through this thread I sense the same, so please if no one wants to share on here, feel free to pm me and explain a little more. Thanks!

I've told you I appreciate you as a poster in the past (in a completely hetero way). But I have to disagree with you and others that share this stance.

I understand the tumbling factor we have in common with gymnastics, but we really need to stop making comparisons between the two. If anything it would be better to separate us as much as possible. At least from a sporting view. A rules view is a whole other topic.

I tend to like yojaehs views as well. So I agree on his tackling celebration comment. However, I think that's a poor analogy to hitting a routine at Worlds. Sticking with football (a clearly recognized sport), do we really think at the start of the BCS Championship when teams make grand entrances into the stadium waving and jumping is obnoxious? How weird and unexciting would it be to watch them all walk onto the field, and take their seats on the bench and watch the coin toss. As somebody said, that is to pump the crowd up but in turn, also pump the ATHLETES up.

This sport (unlike gymnastics) THRIVES on crowd support. So why do things to stifle it? Especially in the name of legitimizing it as a sport(???). There are plenty of other sports that encourage crowd interaction that we can be just as easily be lumped in with. With regards to post celebrating. Look at golf. Probably one of the most mild mannered games. But when Tiger makes an amazing chip, do we expect him to wait to get his ball out of the cup, exit the green, then fist pump?

If there are indeed obnoxious acts that are causing problems, I think they can be dealt with, without a huge umbrella policy.
So Spirt of Texas walk on the floor doesn't get them excited? Crowd doesn't support them? To each their own, it's not my preference of how I want my team to walk on the floor but if there is a guideline and deduction appointed to it, you better believe I'll get em pumped up before they walk on and be waiting jumping up and down the moment they walk off.

Last year.. I loved exaggerated and theatrical movements.

This year.. I love exaggerated and theatrical celebrations.

My trip to Worlds has never cost more than $350 (airfare, car rental, hotel, tickets, food). Admission is going to take up most of that budget now. RIP Worlds trip every year.

Maybe where I disagree is that I think our sport IS comparable to gymnastics or at least should be in regards to judging, legalities, sportsmanship and the like. Soccer, football, golf, hockey...all those other sports are won or lost based on a score that you cannot contest (unless of course the refs are making bad calls) but you know what I mean. Cheer is very much like gymnastics and figure skating where our judging is more subjective and involves the "opinion" of the judges more so than an actual fact based score. I personally would like to see us get away from that. I want to see our scoresheets be more objective and fact based (which I think the new Varsity scoresheet is TRYING to somewhat make that happen). But anyway, I think one of the reasons the world LOVES gymnastics and figure skating is because it is elegant and professional in nature. The girls are looked at as "perfection" on the floor and they are expected to act as such at all times. I want our sport to go in that direction.

Those other sports are also not an all day long event where getting squads on and off the floor determines the success of the event itself. Like it or not, excessive celebrating/encouraging before and after a routine does make a day longer. And we all already argue that the judges have too much on their plates as it is...

Back