All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Reading about all this hair stuff and having a hair peice made really makes me appreciate that our gym has been doing buns all season. The girls don't like them and can't sell their sass as much but hair is so easy to do in the morning now lol

FYI you can get 100% human hair at the African American hair supply store cheaper than at Sally's. Try there first and if you can't find a match then go to Sally's.
I found that if you are looking for black, dark brown (no lighter than #4), light blonde, or brown that has been processed lighter and has red to orange undertones you can find it at hair supply stores. If you are looking for a medium/light brown to dark blonde that has golden or ash undertones you will need to go to Sally's or try your luck with an online source.

I found that if you are looking for black, dark brown (no lighter than #4), light blonde, or brown that has been processed lighter and has red to orange undertones you can find it at hair supply stores. If you are looking for a medium/light brown to dark blonde that has golden or ash undertones you will need to go to Sally's or try your luck with an online source.
I agree with that...my cp has streaky, sandy blonde hair and they didn't have anything remotely close to her color at the AA hair supply store. Except for the platinum blonde...all of the other lighter colors had a very obvious reddish tone to them. I had a hair sample of a brunette teammate to pick up hair for her, and we matched hers in 2 minutes! So easy! I ended up using the pin up lady's "sandy blonde" (after I sent a photo of cp to her) and fortunately it is a good match.

cfcd62a2779b825bde1f30042a0758a5.jpg

My friend makes them and doesn't charge that much and she supplies the hair.

She doesn't really do special orders because she likes a certain kind of hair and she says she can't always get the good hair in the perfect color! So she makes and you just buy for that, so you don't buy your own hair first!

She made one for my daughter but we haven't used it yet. I'll post a pic when we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I be friends with your friend?!

The lady that makes Pinups and the Posh lady won't use synthetic hair, even if you buy it and send it. They say it doesn't tease or hold as well as real hair. I would be interested to know how she is getting synthetic to do this, because I could never get CP' s synthetic pony to tease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use a heat resistant high quality synthetic actually and it holds tease fine It's all about using the right product for synthetic hair. I use tons of teasing powder as well. All the ones I have done can be curled but they can't be taken back and forth. But at the price of synthetic you could have one for curl and one for straight day

I use a heat resistant high quality synthetic actually and it holds tease fine It's all about using the right product for synthetic hair. I use tons of teasing powder as well. All the ones I have done can be curled but they can't be taken back and forth. But at the price of synthetic you could have one for curl and one for straight day
^^^^ this is the person I posted about doing them

@cheerhairandmakeup

On Instagram

I am a member of Team Human Hair. It comes in many textures and can be dyed for a perfect blend, if needed. It can withstand heat styling allowing for a straight or curly look. It is pricey (I paid $50 for a package of 12” hair) but a good bundle of human hair will last a long time. My CP’s pony will look just as good on the last day of competition season as it did on the first day. In fact with proper maintenance (cleansing, conditioning, and a proper trim), it will be ready for a second season of competitive cheer.

You can buy a pack of synthetic hair at some beauty supply stores for as low as $1. The unfortunate truth is that this type of hair is not meant to be anything but temporary. Synthetic hair worn on a consistent basis really doesn’t look great after a few weeks. Synthetic hair is made of plastic fibers that cannot withstand much manipulation or heat. Try curling some synthetic hair and you might end up with a melted mess!

e782d49f726b70626fead99c64e84ce0.jpg

I think these ponies look just as good, and when you add in the price ... [emoji7]

Yes, but long term durability is an issue with synthetics. How long will they look like that? Not nearly as long as human hair. You cannot retease without it getting stringy.

With these pre-teased pony pieces I really don't see the difference, they should be worn and taken off. And neither should ever be washed bc the whole reason these mom are paying $300 is bc they don't want to have to tease it. I have friends with the human hair ones that are completely flat already. And have had to have me retease or fix them. While my synthetic have held up quite nicely. The synthetic will also hold up nicer in the case of humidity or even light rain which can bee highly probable at Disney. Also not all synthetic is created equal, all my synthetic can with stand heat of at least 350 degrees some as high as 400. I'm not arguing either or. My ponies are an affordable option for those kids or parents who can't afford a $300 human hair pony. Especially for those who don't know how to wash and retease there faux ponies. Not everyone has the skill set to tease big hair So basically we're talking apples and oranges here

With these pre-teased pony pieces I really don't see the difference, they should be worn and taken off. And neither should ever be washed bc the whole reason these mom are paying $300 is bc they don't want to have to tease it. I have friends with the human hair ones that are completely flat already. And have had to have me retease or fix them. While my synthetic have held up quite nicely. The synthetic will also hold up nicer in the case of humidity or even light rain which can bee highly probable at Disney. Also not all synthetic is created equal, all my synthetic can with stand heat of at least 350 degrees some as high as 400. I'm not arguing either or. My ponies are an affordable option for those kids or parents who can't afford a $300 human hair pony. Especially for those who don't know how to wash and retease there faux ponies. Not everyone has the skill set to tease big hair So basically we're talking apples and oranges here
I see just the opposite. My synthetic pony was flat again in an hour no matter what I did and the human hair looks just like it did when we got it. For me the point is not never having to tease. No hairpiece is maintenance free. It's about not damaging my kid's hair and saving some time. I realize at some point I am going to have to wash, condition and retease this. With a synthetic I would have to throw it out and start over when that time came. You cannot unlock and retease synthetic hair, no matter how good and it will eventually go flat. I think it happens much faster with synthetics because they are much harder to rich up and have look decent. The more you tease the stringer it looks. I like the fact that with real hair I have the option to wash it out and start over. It is more expensive but for us and what we wanted it was the superior option. Some people like the throwaway convenience of synthetic, but to say they hold up better, I just have found the opposite to be true. We have had a fair amount of synthetic hair over the years for dance stuff and there is no comparison between that and the human hair we have now. For an investment price I am going to use over and over human hair wins every time. For something I am using once or maybe twice for a dance, synthetic wins.

You can definitely get the human hair pony for under $200. Well below that if you have very dark or light hair.

I see just the opposite. My synthetic pony was flat again in an hour no matter what I did and the human hair looks just like it did when we got it. For me the point is not never having to tease. No hairpiece is maintenance free. It's about not damaging my kid's hair and saving some time. I realize at some point I am going to have to wash, condition and retease this. With a synthetic I would have to throw it out and start over when that time came. You cannot unlock and retease synthetic hair, no matter how good and it will eventually go flat. I think it happens much faster with synthetics because they are much harder to rich up and have look decent. The more you tease the stringer it looks. I like the fact that with real hair I have the option to wash it out and start over. It is more expensive but for us and what we wanted it was the superior option. Some people like the throwaway convenience of synthetic, but to say they hold up better, I just have found the opposite to be true. We have had a fair amount of synthetic hair over the years for dance stuff and there is no comparison between that and the human hair we have now. For an investment price I am going to use over and over human hair wins every time. For something I am using once or maybe twice for a dance, synthetic wins.

You can definitely get the human hair pony for under $200. Well below that if you have very dark or light hair.

Same. I got mine so I would not ruin my child's hair. Sure I love the time saving factor but that isn't the reason I got it. My daughter is mixed and has moisture retention problems already which makes it hard to keep her hair healthy and doesn't grow quickly. I knew by teasing it that I would ruin what took years to grow. So now we have something I can tease that know won't affect her hair. Yes I actually washed it and conditioned it. Of course I was very careful with it because I didn't want to pull out the hair from the piece. I think I did a great job at washing and reteasing of I do say so myself lol. I am very happy with our hairpiece from pinups. I will post a pic of my retease in a minute :)

Last edited:
I can immediately look at a picture and tell you if it's real hair or synthetic hair... so going out on a limb here, but synthetic is clearly not as good.

I just hope everyone investing $300 in a hairpiece will have their gyms choose the same hairstyle next year.

Back