All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A girl from my gym as super long hair and her mom uses the extra long curlformers and then she uses one of the very small ones and puts it on the hair hanging out. If only a very little bit sticks out you have to put the curlformer in a little lower vs. right up to your root. On the curlformers website it says to put two in for long hair that doesn't fit. I definitely recommend them they are awesome!

Can't actually remember right now... I'll probably be experimenting tomorrow so I'll let you know. I'll also measure them so you'll know if the Curlformers are longer :)
They make extra extra long ones i believe.

thanks guys! My hair is like 20 inches long in a ponytail, so if I can make that work, I'm gonna go buy them lol

Both of my girls have super long, fine hair. I used the curlformers a couple of times. I used one extra long and then used a regular length one on the end of the hair. Even then a tiny bit was left out, so the next time I used two extra long ones, and just had some of the curlformer with no hair in it. I preferred the first method. I had a hard time pulling the rod through on the second curl former though, and evenutally gave this up for spiral rod curlers since they fit all the hair....

ujyrara9.jpg
ugyzuvy6.jpg

^^^^ I did these curls with a curling wand!! And I loved it!!!!!:)

ahe4ube5.jpg

^^^and that with curlformers!! I thought it looked ugly!!!
(Her hair was partially pulled up which is why the top looks weird because her pony tail was hanging down in front of her face) but I dislike the curls!
Love the curls! For the curlformers it looks really good to put mousse or hairspray them before you put them in because it makes them look stiff and perfect. I hated how mine looked at first but you just have to play around with them. Also separating them and then twirling them around your finger while separating them helps too.

Love the curls! For the curlformers it looks really good to put mousse or hairspray them before you put them in because it makes them look stiff and perfect. I hated how mine looked at first but you just have to play around with them. Also separating them and then twirling them around your finger while separating them helps too.
That is exactly what we do - once the curlformers are taken out, we separate each curl carefully into two or three smaller curls. It adds volume and the curls come out beautiful. I'm hearing though that the coach at our gym likes wand curls better than curlformer ones, so I'm a little nervous since I have no clue how to use the wand and envision burning off body parts when attempting to do so.

That is exactly what we do - once the curlformers are taken out, we separate each curl carefully into two or three smaller curls. It adds volume and the curls come out beautiful. I'm hearing though that the coach at our gym likes wand curls better than curlformer ones, so I'm a little nervous since I have no clue how to use the wand and envision burning off body parts when attempting to do so.
I burnt my eye this weekend curling my hair with the wand and I have no clue how. I always manage to burn some part of myself every time I curl my hair

My cp hair is so fine and thin, it's a pain to curl and the curls don't look cute. After 8yrs it just barely goes past her shoulders (very slow growing). I've never had her hair cut, just trimmed. Last year she wore a hair peace, it was required for all the girls. This year it's not, but she did at a few comps., then it fell off and she really didn't care for it. I tried to go straight, but got in trouble, cp wasn't in a good mood that day (very stressed) didn't want her hair messed with so I left it. Didn't think rocking the boat was worth it. I've seriously wondered what the gym would do if she showed up with a pixie hair cut.

ah, that's almost how long mine is. How much hangs out? I may still try them and curl the ends with a curling iron.
Mine are 17" when they're straightened, but I think the curlformers extra long are like 22" when straight. In the longest part of my hair there's about 5" at the bottom if I put the curlformers right at the top, but about half of that are the really thin ends, so I'm sure you'd be fine!

ru4y4uhu.jpg
u9e4ezyr.jpg

These curls are with curlformers. Her hair not curled is down to the bottom of her ribs.
This is just perfection... Just wanted to ask though, how do you do the poof with curlformers? Do you put all the hair in curlformers then do the poof afterwards (straighteners?) or do you seperate out the section you're going to poof before you put the curlformers in? Thanks!

ETA Ooops, double post, sorry! Getting obsessed with getting my hair right for comp this weekend...

This is just perfection... Just wanted to ask though, how do you do the poof with curlformers? Do you put all the hair in curlformers then do the poof afterwards (straighteners?) or do you seperate out the section you're going to poof before you put the curlformers in? Thanks!

ETA Ooops, double post, sorry! Getting obsessed with getting my hair right for comp this weekend...
She pulls up her hair half up and leaves her bump section out. I curl form everything minus the bump section. I use dry hair - coated in gel. She goes under a bonnet dryer for about 20 min to dry the gel. After the curls are done she does her bump and the just wraps the uncurled ends around her half up pony section and secures with bobby pins underneath where her bow goes.

She pulls up her hair half up and leaves her bump section out. I curl form everything minus the bump section. I use dry hair - coated in gel. She goes under a bonnet dryer for about 20 min to dry the gel. After the curls are done she does her bump and the just wraps the uncurled ends around her half up pony section and secures with bobby pins underneath where her bow goes.
Genius!

Thanks TwistedLady! I don't have a bonnet dryer so I think I may put them in wet and sleep in them (turned out fine last time I practised so fingers crossed!) Does anyone else do poofs with curlformers? I want to know what my options are because I'm usually rubbish at doing my own hair!

Thanks TwistedLady! I don't have a bonnet dryer so I think I may put them in wet and sleep in them (turned out fine last time I practised so fingers crossed!) Does anyone else do poofs with curlformers? I want to know what my options are because I'm usually rubbish at doing my own hair!
The heat from the dryer just really helps the curls set up nicely. If you have a beauty supply shop near you - they also sell an attachment that goes on a regular hair dryer barrel for like 9$
ETA: just wet doesn't work. You really want the gel to do the work. Trust me. ;)

The heat from the dryer just really helps the curls set up nicely. If you have a beauty supply shop near you - they also sell an attachment that goes on a regular hair dryer barrel for like 9$
Ooh, that sounds good. I live in London so I should be able to find one somewhere! What sort of gel do use? When I was shopping I remembered (I think it was you) posting in another thread about using gel for curlformers and there were roughly 56,384 different sorts... Also, does the gel make the curlformers really dirty- can you just stick them in water to rinse them?
Sorry for all the questions! You definitely seem like a hair expert!

Back